Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2004 VTX model C 45 k miles. Had bike two years. Rode in rain 2 times. First time was not far. Second time I rode in rain for 30 miles and it then began to pop, sputter some and got progressively worse till I pulled into a gas station and called for a tow. I may could have rode home but I didnt want to chance it with the rain and with bad cell phone reception in that area. After towing for one hour ( and the rain had stopped just as I loaded the bike) I got home, bike ran great. Later the next day ( when I had time ) I sprayed the coils and spark plug caps and wires ( where I could get to them ) with water. Still ran great. My question is this... did the rain and wind ( from highway riding ) push the rainwater under my tank and cause a ground somewhere ? I know the " anything is possible " answer applys, but what else might I look at to simulate rain and wind finding a short ?
Also concerned with fuel filter. Understand they are two of them. In the past I have asked a motorcycle mechanic to change the fuel filter. He gave me this " its in your tank so dont mess with it " reply. I didnt have the knowledge I have now so what are your thoughts on that as well ?
ps. Also noticed the area where the spark plug wires and coils connect are facing to the wind right at the front of the bike... not a smart thing to do if you ask me.
Thank you !

notice the rain on the windshield.

http://www.pbase.com/kippercat/image/161759197/original

·
Registered
2,376 Posts
Does your bike have a hypercharger?

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
Or any kind of air filter/air inlet that sticks out into the rain like the spike air inlet?

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Yes it does.

yes it does. I was noticing that and wondering how much rain was getting in that. It wasnt raining heavy but some rain was getting in there. Are you saying even a small amount of water would do this ? I have ridden in heavy rain before but not as long as I was riding in the light to moderate rain and didnt have that sputter problem. I road it again today without the rain and no sputtering at all but not long at all. I will put a good ride on it this Wednesday. I best put one of those rain socks on it.

Holland

·
Super Moderator
10,294 Posts
There are two ways I can think of to diagnose your sputtering problem. You can run the bike in the driveway and spray water from a hose at the intake. This might cause the problem but with such a light load on the bike (idling parked), it might not show any problem. You can buy a rain sock and install it. Ride the bike in the rain and see if you have a problem. Take the sock off and see if you have a problem.

G'day,

Vinish

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
First water is probably not your problem. Hypacharger are well known for the vacume hoses cracking. Is the air filter dirty and plugging up when the dirt is getting wet and restricting the air.
Have you been using the choke and fouling the plugs.
You need to give a better discription of your symptoms.
Need more info on the bike, pipes , jetting and if so what jets.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Reply to latest comment.

Filter was serviced 3 weeks ago. Never use choke, never.

I share motorcycle stories ( rides, bike problems etc ) with my biker friends on Facebook.
Here is one concerning this problem. Since the problem I have put about 200 perfect motor purring sputterless miles on the bike..... because of no rain.
Interesting read !

Interesting story.. ( I work hard to find them ). Trying to find a rain sock to go over my Kuryakyn hypercharger air filter intake on bike. Cant find one online. Why do I want it ? Last Sunday my bike was sputtering bad enough I called for a tow. Been riding in the rain where the bike began sputtering after about 30 miles in moderate rain. Havent ridden in the rain that long since I bought the bike. It went from barely noticable to often that day, got a tow home.
Next day I sprayed water on plug caps, wires and coils... revved it up and ran fine. Cant rule out a short anywhere with the bike sitting still but thats all I can do except go ride in the rain for 30 miles again. Maybe I could try to simulate rain in the air intake by spraying water with a garden hose into the intake....... just dont have the heart to do that.
So I am all over the internet looking for a rain sock because I have read many " but not all" posts about the rain issue with the hypercharger allowing rain to the carbs and cause sputtering. Cant find it by doing a bike and model bike search for what I'm looking for.
So I call Kuryakyn. I asked for a rain sock for my model hypercharger. He said we dont make them, the K and N filters are designed to NOT let rain in. I suppose he was wanting me to say " darned " and hang up the phone, instead I told him my short story and what comments Ive found online about the issue. You bet I've done some reading !
Now it gets interesting. He said " I've told those guys in "Tech" ( he called it ) that people have been calling in complaining about rain causing their bikes to sputter. I asked " what am I supposed to do now , call a tow every time I get caught in the rain " ? In short it ended up like this.. He THEN " found" what I was looking for and gave me a part number and asked if I was ready to order it !!! Jee Wiz ! Not now I told him.
I rode to Winston and back today with no to very little rain and the bike purred like a big cat, didnt miss a beat.
Read this..... Kuryakyn uses only K&N and aFe oiled gauze filters in our air cleaners which, when properly maintained, are water repellent. Even so, there may be times you wish you had a pre-filter to keep bugs, dirt, wash water, or a torrential downpour out of your air cleaner. Made exclusively for us in the USA by Outerwears. Water repellent, UV resistant and filters debris down to .005in
My comment is this..... Your air filter may be water repellent but there not waterproof ! Live and learn but one thing will never cease... people will often give you the run around if you dont press the issue.
http://www.amazon.com/Kuryakyn-9335-Filter-Rai…/…/B00D3QVTI0

First water is probably not your problem. Hypacharger are well known for the vacume hoses cracking. Is the air filter dirty and plugging up when the dirt is getting wet and restricting the air.
Have you been using the choke and fouling the plugs.
You need to give a better discription of your symptoms.
Need more info on the bike, pipes , jetting and if so what jets.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Ok , to me it just sounds like the filter is plugging up , did you replace the filter or cleaned the old one and re-oiled it. If you cleaned and re-oiled it then it is possible that there is too much oil in the filter and over oiling them they can clog up with dirt and also water preventing air from getting threw. Some in the past have covered the hp with hair nets. Water sucked into the carb just passes threw and is just vaporized and won't hurt a thing. So the filter in your case is plugging and restricting air flow. So when cleaning the filter be careful not to over oil it if the filter is that type.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
picture of inside of air scoop

Thanks for your reply. After reading so many posts on pages about the exposed airfilter and rain problem, Im convinced there is a connection. You have got to think that its not only rain flying in your scoop but the water from the road and cars in front of you too. I would assume theres more going on then you know about. And if even if I was to simulate water going into the scoop by spraying some water on the filter, I would have to do it for 30 minutes as what happened the day my bike started sputtering. That is 30 minutes with water being sprayed on your filter, thank about it.
I serviced the air filter 3 weeks before getting caught in that 30 minute rain and that was the only rain I rode in since that service. Heres what the inside of the scoop looked like after that rain. Hence I will NEVER ride in the rain again without a rain sock on the scoop.

http://www.pbase.com/kippercat/image/161773513/original

Ok , to me it just sounds like the filter is plugging up , did you replace the filter or cleaned the old one and re-oiled it. If you cleaned and re-oiled it then it is possible that there is too much oil in the filter and over oiling them they can clog up with dirt and also water preventing air from getting threw. Some in the past have covered the hp with hair nets. Water sucked into the carb just passes threw and is just vaporized and won't hurt a thing. So the filter in your case is plugging and restricting air flow. So when cleaning the filter be careful not to over oil it if the filter is that type.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
7,395 Posts
Hi, Hyperchargere are known for not liking rain. That's one reason I did the decal with K&N filter.
The rain/mist going threw the filter is fine. When you serviced the filter could you have over oiled it And that will clog filters and adding rain can even clog the filter more and choke the intake down and reducing the air going in.

Donut/Doug

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
First of all a big thank you to all for your input. Done some good learning here. Certainly will learn more. I suppose I will wait for my rain sock for my Hypercharger to come in and then ride in the rain ( for at least 30 minutes ) to see if the same still happens.. If it continues I suppose I will have to change out some electrical components because spraying them with water ( only for a few seconds ) has showed nothing to cause the problem. I dont like those coil / wire connections facing into the wind. I may spread some black waterproof silicone on that too. So far I have ridden 200 miles since that one day problem and not a miss fire whatsoever.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts