Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok - Just dropped off the 1300 - new owner - bought it used 1800 miles. Thought I should have the oil changed just to be sure - seemed a little gritty. Mentionied to the shop owner that I had to keep the chock out a little to keep it from dying. He says it's probably lacquer in the carb from sitting with gas in it. Need to take the carb off - clean it and the jet and put it back to gether. Before I jump in with both feet - anyone done this and is it difficult to reset everything after taking it apart. My only experience has been on cars (complete restorations) but nothing on motorcycles.
Anyone have advice - pro or con - real deal or dealer hype to get me to have him serice it. Any carb cleaner that could be run in the tank to avoid the tear down??

Thanks a bunch

·
Darkside Pastor & Addict
4,151 Posts
Ok - Just dropped off the 1300 - new owner - bought it used 1800 miles. Thought I should have the oil changed just to be sure - seemed a little gritty. Mentionied to the shop owner that I had to keep the chock out a little to keep it from dying. He says it's probably lacquer in the carb from sitting with gas in it. Need to take the carb off - clean it and the jet and put it back to gether. Before I jump in with both feet - anyone done this and is it difficult to reset everything after taking it apart. My only experience has been on cars (complete restorations) but nothing on motorcycles.
Anyone have advice - pro or con - real deal or dealer hype to get me to have him serice it. Any carb cleaner that could be run in the tank to avoid the tear down??

Thanks a bunch
OK, before you do that , pull the plugs and if black, clean em or better replace them. Then run some seafoam through the gas tank. Also consider the choke a death knob.

Pdave:patriot:

·
Registered
448 Posts
Also consider the choke a death knob.

Pdave:patriot:
Never, and I mean NEVER touch the choke knob!!!!!
Even in the coldest weather, a couple twists of the handle will start her right up. It helps to get a throttle lock to let her warm up a bit at 1200 RPM or so. The Honda "choke" is actually a fuel enrichener, which basically lets raw fuel into the carb. That means a cold engine and a rich condition which will foul the plugs QUICK! If you need the choke to keep the bike running (you may need to feather the throttle until it warms up), you need to fine tune the carb (see Scar Method).

My choke was actually stuck open just a hair (not even noticeable), and I had problems fouling sets of plugs and terrible fuel mileage. The cable wasn't fully seated in the carb.

·
C'MON THE HOOPS
793 Posts
+1 on all above. Change the plugs, check the choke, and run the seafoam first.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Learned something new today. I always pull my choke out if its been sitting for awhile. I love this forum. Im 21 and have been riding since 18. Everytime I come on this forum I learn something new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks to all for the help - I will try the seafoam first - if I can find it - according to their website Pepboys sells it but no one there seemed to know anything about it. Then a plug change - This might also explain the poor gas mileage I have been getting.
Great website - thanks again.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Thanks to all for the help - I will try the seafoam first - if I can find it - according to their website Pepboys sells it but no one there seemed to know anything about it. Then a plug change - This might also explain the poor gas mileage I have been getting.
Great website - thanks again.
If there's a Checker or Advance Auto Parts near you, either one of them should carry it. Another brand would be Stabil, but Seafoam would be better.
P

·
Registered
837 Posts
I have 20K plus on my bike - never had any problems with using the choke... I've heard it all on BOTH sides of the issues... I pull it out start the bike - push it in a bit... warm it up push it in ALL the way and ride the ...... out of it... NEVER a problem... :hmm2:

Scar mod 1 shim - Starts first time EVERY TIME...

Say what you will the choke if used correctly has NEVER caused a problem... (for me anyway)

I do run a cleaner (Marvel Oil) through it every now and then -- mainly because I do it and have done it in my cars and boat as well...

Just hard headed I guess...:confused: SO CHOKE ME!!!!:spank:

Jim:)

·
Registered
566 Posts
I have 27000 on my bike and never had a problem with the choke. It gets very cold hear around 3 deg. above int he winter.
I guess I am one of the lucky ones.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks again to all that offered help. I found the seafoam - dropped it in - ran about 30 miles of so just a little while ago and it's running better already. I'll change the plugs this weekend. Anxious to see if the gas milage improves since 20-23 seems to be what I was getting. Don't really know the history on the bike but I do know it sat for a while and was not run - most likely no additive either.

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
I would hope so, 20-23mpg is awful. My Tahoe gets 19.
Should be 35-38 at least. I now get around 40-45.
I would guess plugs will help considerably.
Only run 87octane in it, without ethanol if you can get it.
Check the air in your tires as well. Most folks run 38f/40r or 40/40.
let us know what's up.
P

·
Registered
837 Posts
Most get between 40 and 50, pretty standard...

mine is about 45 to 48 on average... a bit less in town light to light... but on the open road cruising it can get as high as 50...

Jim the choker... :stirpot:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts