Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I have been looking and lurking for a little while and now hope you can provide some insight.

It has been many years since I have been on a bike but due to traffic, gas prices, and the beautiful weather we are having I believe I am ready to get back on.

I went to the local Honda shop to look specifically at the 2009 VTX1300T he had. I really liked it but he also pointed out the Interstate. I like the lines of the Interstate and the hard bags but it does not have the back rest the VTX has. Also the Interstate is fuel injected. The VTX is a few grand less in price, as well.

What kind of comments and suggestion might you to help me make a decision. I know I can get a back rest installed on the Interstate, or at least I think I can. The only other option I certainly want is to figure out how to install a GPS on either one.

Thanks,
Fred
:patriot:

·
Certified Biotch!
7,165 Posts
I'm sure you can have a backrest intstalled on the Interstate, but you can never no matter how much money you put into it make it look half as good as the VTX looks :bleh::bleh:...I have seen the new bikes, not really interested in any of them myself...but I say sit on both..get a feel for both and make the decision from there, only you know whats right for you.

Good Luck :cheers:

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I think this is one of those questions only you can answer. I love my 1300t and have no regrets. Get what you want, I don't think you will go wrong with either. I know theres nothing worse than buying something and saying "I wish I would of"

·
X Virgin
5,233 Posts
I honestly figured that given the choice of either, the two riders were made for different buyers, which is why I believe Honda is going to struggle with traditional cruiser buyers for the next year or two.

They took a big beautiful tank and seating position and squished and stretched it poorly. It looks like they tried to make a chopper out of a great cruiser. The "R" fenders look silly on it to me.

But to each his own. Sit on both and decide which appeals to you more. You'll get nothing but (mostly) biased opinions here. I'm sure both perform well because... it's a Honda.

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Hello Fred,
I purchased my 09 VTX 1300T last month. At the dealer, I also saw the Interstate and checked it out. Both of these bikes are definetly different bikes. Personal choice and preference in taste will determine which one you want to buy. I decided on the 1300T since to me it is much more attractive and stylish than the Interstate plus I always enjoy the cruiser look on bikes.

Try and test ride both bikes, take pics of both bikes as well and research them as much as possible and then once you determine which one you will be happy with, go for it.

I truly am happy with my bike and how it rides and handles on the road. I would say that out of all the bikes I have owned, (77 Kawasaki 440, 86 Kawasaki 550LTD, 94 Kawasaki 750LTD, 99 Harley Softail Custom, 00 Honda Goldwing), this has been the best bike so far that I have riden.

Good luck, and welcome to the Cafe; let us know what you decide.:choppersm

·
243 Posts
My answer to this is that I just went with a 2008 VTX1300T (2600 mi.) vs. a new Interstate because I didn't think a bit of newness, a carb., and neat hard bags was worth $5,000.00............... YMMV....

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I will never buy another "First Year Run" Anything...

Not after 1984 and a 2M4 Fiero.

Nosir, noway, nohow..

-Gonz

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,475 Posts
I will never buy another "First Year Run" Anything...

Not after 1984 and a 2M4 Fiero.

Nosir, noway, nohow..

-Gonz
My dad used to work as a mechanic at a new Pontiac dealership in the 1980's...Everytime a Fiero came in for service (even just an oil change), dad would grab every fire extinguisher he could find and set them in the stall with the Fiero in it...Used to piss off the service manager everytime too....LMAO!!!...

·
Registered
512 Posts
It's just me, but I wouldn't take the Interstate over the VTX even if the Interstate was cheaper. I can't see myself EVER owning the Interstate/Fury/et al. They simply don't appeal to me.

I surely do hope somebody likes them, 'cause I'd hate to see Hoda leave the cruiser market.

CW

·
Registered
3,835 Posts
My answer to this is that I just went with a 2008 VTX1300T (2600 mi.) vs. a new Interstate because I didn't think a bit of newness, a carb., and neat hard bags was worth $5,000.00............... YMMV....
Congrats on your purchase bro. Glad you found an X you can fall in love with. Post some pics...we love pictures. Ride safe...and welcome aboard at the Cafe. :cheers:

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
The only one who can decide this is you. The new interstate can be loaded up with all kinds of goodies besides the extras it comes with(back rest is available from Honda). In my opinion, the new Interstate,Stateline & Sabre is a mixture between the VTX & the Fury. Same engine, except for the new F.I. and a little tweaking on the frames. Honda is in a "transitional phase" right now. They're waiting to see which direction the market is gonna go. They put out a "bar hopper"-Fury, and tried to stay within what they already had with the VT1300's as far as cruisers go. With the economy in the state that it is, there's going to be two types of buyers, the ones who have the extra money for their weekend "toy", and the ones who use a bike as a second form of transportation. With the lower price tag than the biggest competitor, H-D, they're hoping to rope in the folks that are on the fence either way, hobbiest, or serious rider looking for a dependable means of transportation without the big price tag, along without all the bells & whistles. So, in answer to the original question, whatever you choose, will be the one that fits what you're looking for in a bike. Either way you go, you can't loose going with Honda due to the reliability of their bikes.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Maybe things will change, but right now the entire new line of 1300's look like something is missing... :shrug:

If nothing else, you can certainly place some huge dual diesel air horns in the big gap under the gas tank. :bleh:

If it helps, if you happen to weigh more than 220 (and look it) I'd stay away from the Interstate. You'd look like you were riding a VT 750 Shadow Spirit.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hey Top,

Thanks for the input. Of course I am listening well to a fellow paratrooper. And of course I might be a little shell shocked, the best @$$ chewing I've ever received was from a 1SG and I was a CW2 at the time, now I am the old crusty CW4.

Great input though.

Respectfully,:coffee:

Hello Fred,
I purchased my 09 VTX 1300T last month. At the dealer, I also saw the Interstate and checked it out. Both of these bikes are definetly different bikes. Personal choice and preference in taste will determine which one you want to buy. I decided on the 1300T since to me it is much more attractive and stylish than the Interstate plus I always enjoy the cruiser look on bikes.

Try and test ride both bikes, take pics of both bikes as well and research them as much as possible and then once you determine which one you will be happy with, go for it.

I truly am happy with my bike and how it rides and handles on the road. I would say that out of all the bikes I have owned, (77 Kawasaki 440, 86 Kawasaki 550LTD, 94 Kawasaki 750LTD, 99 Harley Softail Custom, 00 Honda Goldwing), this has been the best bike so far that I have riden.

Good luck, and welcome to the Cafe; let us know what you decide.:choppersm

·
AIRBORNE
5,567 Posts
I went with the 2008 1300T. Some of the folks said make it your own. I think I did that and more. This is the 8th made ever. no the canadian 2007 version was a dealer add on. I guess since I have been away we have more airborne brothers. 1/509th and 4/325. DEATH FROM ABOVE!:patriot:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
What do you guys think about fuel injection vs carburetors? That seems to be the only remaining question. Being that I live in norther Virginia and a motorcycle is a cheap way to get around let alone affords me the opportunity to use the HOV lanes, I may be riding in the cold weather.

Your thoughts on this?
Fred

·
Registered
2,475 Posts
Good morning Chief,

Good to hear that our "forceful verbal encouragements" have continue to produce great results as yourself. :patriot:

"SHOW ME A SOLDIER THAT WILL JUMP OUT OF AN AIRPLANE, AND I WILL SHOW YOU A SOLDIER THAT IS WILLING TO DIE FOR HIS COUNTRY."

"AIRBORNE, ALL THE WAY." :mosh:

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,475 Posts
What do you guys think about fuel injection vs carburetors? That seems to be the only remaining question. Being that I live in norther Virginia and a motorcycle is a cheap way to get around let alone affords me the opportunity to use the HOV lanes, I may be riding in the cold weather.

Your thoughts on this?
Fred
If I wanted a bike with FI, I would've bought one.....

·
Registered
512 Posts
I have one bike with fuel injection (Hayabusa), and onr with a carb (VTX). The Busa starts and idles a tad easier, but it's really no big deal. The technology of EFI is more advanced, but carbs have been in use longer.

Summary: it doesn't matter to me either way. I might feel differently if comparing EFI to a multi-carbed bike, ala Valkyrie with 6 carbs.

CW

1 - 20 of 29 Posts