Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed the 1800C pipes on my VTX1800R Sunday afternoon and wanted to share my experience. I had seen these pipes before in photos on an 'R' and thought they looked great and figured they would just bolt up like normal. I had also owned and modified a set of 1800C pipes and thought it would be awesome to rebuild another set and put them on the 'R'. Well for sure you need the original 1800C stock rear mounting bracket because the 'R' bracket is not the same, luckily the guy I bought the C-pipes from included it with the set. Another thing is the floorboard bracket, Honda already made a relief for the exhaust but you will have to grind that relief back for the 1800C pipes to pass. The bottom of the heat shield at this location will need to be cut to clear the floorboard bracket. The small long bracket holding the rear tail light switch (floorboard assembly) will need to be bent towards the frame to clear the pipe at this location as well.

The pipe itself has been modified, all of the Honda baffle system has been removed and a race pipe has been installed in place. Here is the write up I did for the original set of 2-into-1 for the 1800C: http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php/78646-Stock-Exhaust-mod-VTX1800C-Pipes-2-into-1-Honda!

I am including photos for Sunday's install for clarity, this was a little different than the first one I did but it actually took a lot less time this go-around. First time I had the baffle system blown out with a torch and then ground out the rest of the material, this took forever....this time I just drilled out Honda's spot weld locations and the baffle came right out (with a hammer).

Bubble wrap all of your parts so you don't scratch the chrome.

Mark the rear pipe with your knife before you remove the chrome panel with the grinder wheel.

Get your new pipe ready. 3A-Racing 63-0544 (4.25" outer diameter)

Mark your locations.

Cut your pipe accordingly and remove the rear tip. This part is fun, I went through 4 cut-off wheels just for this procedure.

Orient your parts.

Notice I drilled out the welds, this saved huge amounts of time. The front part of the pipe killed my drill bit so I cut into it to remove the last 4 welds. There are 6 on the pipe and 4 on the front holding the baffle system in.

Cut your new race pipe for the relief inside (see my original write up) and size for fitment.

Weld everything back up and have fun installing. This project was a real pain in the neck but I learned a lot and still suck at welding, but I am one hell of a grinder. Overall this project is not recommended and would not be fun to do unless you enjoy to cut metal, grind a lot, weld and cuss, and love the satisfaction of finishing a project that nearly kicks your ass. This pipe turned out better than my last one and sounds incredible, a mini V8 is really the only description I can provide.

A sketch of the pipe below

·
Super Moderator
5,350 Posts
That a cool mod. I would like to hear the sound.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys, I would like to see if any one else has done a cut up mod. I know of a company that reworks the Honda pipe with their own and resales it; I just have never heard their pipes before and I really did not want a bolt up pipe....I would say it is one of a kind but this is the second one I did, the first one I cut down 6" on my C model, seemed to match the short fender better.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I gutted the stock cans on my 1800R and, then disected some glasspacks and put them back in. It sounded really good, but I liked the look of the Cobra Longshots, so I got them later on, the homemade pipes sounded way better though.

·
Registered
864 Posts
I am thinking about getting a C exhaust and doing something similar. Was gonna get VTX exhaust.com to gut it and they just add a 16" long exit tube that is 2 1/2 inches/seal the rear and the tube can accept a baffle. My only concern is: How does the right side of the bike look where the original rear cylinder pipe was? Seems like there's a big space there. I like the look of the pipe wrapped around the clutch and want a 2-1 system. Also, you're getting the Honda quality pipes, shields, etc. Bill at VTXexhaust says he likes the c muffler sound set up like this best on an 1800- says it's a very mellow rumble at idle and cruising- not super loud. Plus you can baffle it. Says it sounds very similar to Roadhouse's 2-1 system that is unfortunately not available anymore. Can you take any pictures of the area near the right side cover? What do you think about how that part of the bike looks now? Thanks.

1 More question for ya. Would a black C side cover fit on an R? Ie would the grommets match up? I just wonder if a c side cover would look better than the standard r cover with that pipe setup. Maybe cover the motor mount bracket up better. Do you still have the C? How about a close-up of the C right side cover? The frame is the same so it should give an idea what it will look like if the cover would snap into place- that's the big if.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I knew there would be a gap exposing the scallop relief for the pipe. My 1800C had this same area burned and deformed from a pipe passing this area so I grew used to not looking at that spot on the X, and of course my R has this same area deformed from not installing the cover correctly from the previous owner. You can bareley see it in the photo but it does not bother me on the road...lol. Not sure if the covers are interchangeable, good idea. I will probably fill in that location with some fiber and resin and repaint it after I melt and bend the deformed tab back into place. As far as the pipes go, they are still breaking in, just installed on Sunday and they sound so smooth and deep. More of a drone in your chest (mwOUmA-mA-mA-mA-mA but deeper) than a thump in your ear, my wife and I can easily talk while on the bike at 45-50 where before it was no use with the other pipes installed. For the price of a set of used pipes it is worth trying and if you eff the pipe, slip on another one and try again....Honda chrome really is the best, last for years and stays cool in the summer. I will take a couple of close ups when I get home Simple, thanks again for sharing, let us know how your project goes!

·
Registered
864 Posts
By the way, your bike looks great. I'll post up photos and maybe a sound clip here if I decide to buy the C exhaust and go that route. It will be a couple weeks cause I'll have to send the muffler to VTXExhaust and have it reworked. I wouldn't even think about cutting into that muffler myself. I can't weld at all. I need to make up my mind soon because I know that exhaust won't last long.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts