Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, i have a 08 1800F. bought it in 10 as a 2 year left over, so far i put 2500 miles on it and my Duncraps are shot. They have bad cupping on front, and moderate cupping on rear. I noticed a noise, kinda like a grind feeling/noise at around 1,000 miles. I thought it was a wheel bearing but I thought its way to early for a wheel bearing. I checked the front and rear tires for play in the bearings, and both seem ok. so I rode another 1,400 miles with the same noise. at around 2,400 the handling started to degrade a lot. It felt sloppy in turns and twistes, and unpredictible. When going into a a long turn, the bike leans ok at a point then just drops fast and hard. Its quite scary, and a uneasy feeling. I am now getting some vibrations at highway speeds, and can see the front forks working when on somewhat smooth highway! I just can not believe the tires cupped this fast!! I always check pressure, and always set to spec as per honda. I have read that this is one of the problems with the tire cupping issue on this bike, but i read it 2500 miles too late. So i am shopping for new tires, and dont know what to get. I have seen many talk great about the ME880, Avon Cobras, and the stone battlax. The bridgestones are by far the cheapest which is always great, but I do not want to sacrafice handling and agressive ridding for a couple bucks. Now, I am willing to go to a 200 rear tire ONLY IF it helps with ridding 2 up and heavy loads, agressive ridding, and lots of twistes. If it does not make a difference, then just for looks is cool also. But if any neg for performance, then its a no go. I almost always ride 2 up, probably 85% of the time. If I had to be to the church on time, and was running late and could save time on the straight freeway, then I guess i would make up the time by doubling my speeds in the twiste roads to the church, LOL. So what I am looking for is a first hand recommendation on which tires, matched or non, for the VTX1800F. With 2 up agressive ridding, accelaration and braking in mind. I am a fair weather rider, and most of my longest trips have been 300 miles or less in a day. By the way, I live in the great pothole, uneven, horriable patches and road maintence state of PA! Right outside of Philadelphia. So i strong, tough tire is a must.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I always check pressure, and always set to spec as per honda..
There's the problem right there...Bring pressure up to 40 psi front and rear and the bike will handle better, and the tires will last longer....I get 15,000 miles from Dunlop front tires...Got about 12,000 miles from the stock Dunlop rear, then went darkside...

·
Bryden, 1800 F
4,394 Posts
I half to say Bill I run 39psi front 40psi in the back. My Dunflops are not doing well either.
Do to your advice I was hoping to get as good of mileage out of my tires as you out of your tires. But not so.
I am now sad because of that.:( But I am happy I get new tires.;)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I honestly dont think that 7 more psi would have saved my front tire from cupping. I run the duncrap rear at 43, so why still cupping? its not the bike or psi, its the Tire/Bike combo. There just not a good match for each other. I am an Auto Mechanic for 19 years, and I have had and replaced MANY a dunlop tires with plenty of tead depth left for shifted belts and road force issue's. They are just JUNK. I will never pay money for a Dunlop tire. The E3 may be a great tire, but I still wont buy it. I found the Bridgestone Bt028 rear tire in a 200/50/18 and a Bridgestone Exedra Max front tire for $289 shipped for Both. That is a easy price to deal with, and makes it a lot easier pill to swallow when your OE tires only lasted 2500 miles! But if there junk, then it's not worth it neither. So I need some user review's please!

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Well first you say you set the pressures to Honda spec, now you say you have the rear at 43...You just totally contradicted yourself...

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My 08 F says 33 psi front and 42 psi rear at max load for cold tire pressure. Dont know if other models are different, can only speak for the 08 F model

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
the air pressure is the problem... Like Ford on there SUV's . soft tires for soft ride..

I got 17,000 on the stock rear Dunlop. running 40psi... solo... I bought my bike NEW in Feb.2005...

All "F"'s are the same... except the year it was made and the color on the tins... 05,06,07,08... Same.

·
Reality Check Bounced
444 Posts
Never had a problem with the stock Duns except they wear fast. I have a ME 880 on the front and got 17,000 miles with wear on left side and lots of tread wear on right side due mainly to high crowns on the roads. I have a car tire on back since Dec 2010 and it's showing hardly any wear. Once cupping starts it's hard to overcome even by increasing air pressure. The ride will be bumpy and a little unstable. I live in Fl and the roads are a lot better than most States, so the wear is somewhat better all round.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
thanks for the reply's. I understand the wear issue's, but like i stated, my sticker on the rear axle housing says 33 psi front and 42 psi rear. I always ran it at that pressure. The front should have been ran at 40 psi plus like other members stated, but my rear was ran at 42psi and still has the cupping. Either way, its time for new rubber. Need some helpful recommendations for members who have ran the 880's, cobra's, or the stone's. Also, 200 or 180 for agressive ridding?

·
Registered
4,042 Posts
I run the 200 now... Elite 3. also on the front but stock size.. I do lots of twisties.

I would run the stock Dunlop on the rear but. its dealer only and big money.. and must leave wheel there for 3 to 5 days.

so I use the Elite 3, from aftermarket store and wait while they install tires. I take the wheels off and on.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I think www.bareasschoppers.com has a write up on aligning front forks. They could be off by a hair and cause this. The fact that both tires are cupping the same makes me think this could be the issue. Also run your new front at 40 and consider balance beads or something that will continue to balance the tire as you ride. As for me, ride 2 up a lot, ride hard and am loving my car tire! I feel the ride is better, I am more (too) confident in the turns and overall VERY satisfied with it. 215/45/18 is the only car tire that will fit the F. I had to deflate it to fit on the bike and it was against my driveshaft, when I aired it up I had enough clearance and it never touched or rubbed anywhere!

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have a 2008f and bought it in 2011. My stock dunlops laste 7000 miles. I replaced both front and back with Avon Cobras and have been very happy with them. I ride hard through the twisties and these tires make me feel very very secure when leaning. I have 25000 miles now and on my second set of cobras. I never go cheap on the tires, way too important.

·
Registered
6 Posts
i have a 2006 1800f, i plan on fitting a Avon Cobra 200/55/18 to the rear, info from this forum tells me it will fit without any mods.....can i fit a 150/70/18 Avon Venom on the front as opposed to the standard 130/70/18? have any vtx owners fitted this size tire? thanks

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
.can i fit a 150/70/18 Avon Venom on the front as opposed to the standard 130/70/18? have any vtx owners fitted this size tire? thanks
Seems to me - I put a caliper on both front wheels that use both those tire sizes and I believe 150 is fine.

You might have to spot check the fender for final clearance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, i have a 08 1800F. bought it in 10 as a 2 year left over, so far i put 2500 miles on it and my Duncraps are shot. They have bad cupping on front, and moderate cupping on rear. I noticed a noise, kinda like a grind feeling/noise at around 1,000 miles. I thought it was a wheel bearing but I thought its way to early for a wheel bearing. I checked the front and rear tires for play in the bearings, and both seem ok. so I rode another 1,400 miles with the same noise. at around 2,400 the handling started to degrade a lot. It felt sloppy in turns and twistes, and unpredictible. When going into a a long turn, the bike leans ok at a point then just drops fast and hard. Its quite scary, and a uneasy feeling. I am now getting some vibrations at highway speeds, and can see the front forks working when on somewhat smooth highway! I just can not believe the tires cupped this fast!! I always check pressure, and always set to spec as per honda. I have read that this is one of the problems with the tire cupping issue on this bike, but i read it 2500 miles too late. So i am shopping for new tires, and dont know what to get. I have seen many talk great about the ME880, Avon Cobras, and the stone battlax. The bridgestones are by far the cheapest which is always great, but I do not want to sacrafice handling and agressive ridding for a couple bucks. Now, I am willing to go to a 200 rear tire ONLY IF it helps with ridding 2 up and heavy loads, agressive ridding, and lots of twistes. If it does not make a difference, then just for looks is cool also. But if any neg for performance, then its a no go. I almost always ride 2 up, probably 85% of the time. If I had to be to the church on time, and was running late and could save time on the straight freeway, then I guess i would make up the time by doubling my speeds in the twiste roads to the church, LOL. So what I am looking for is a first hand recommendation on which tires, matched or non, for the VTX1800F. With 2 up agressive ridding, accelaration and braking in mind. I am a fair weather rider, and most of my longest trips have been 300 miles or less in a day. By the way, I live in the great pothole, uneven, horriable patches and road maintence state of PA! Right outside of Philadelphia. So i strong, tough tire is a must.

·
Registered
2 Posts
A big change in my ride was changing the fork springs. I was fighting the bike in turns and it seemed to bounce while riding. I replaced the springs with Race Tech Springs and the ride has really smooth out with the proper tire pressure.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts