Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend gave me a used set of the larger, round and chrome 12volt spots that Walmart sells. These are the ones that the lens looks blue.

I connected everything and things were good for 10 minutes. Then they went out. When I got home I saw the fuse had slowly melted. It wasn't burned and splattered as if there were a short. The solder had melted at the end. Which means it was running at capacity for a while until it over heated.

Anyway.......... I think these are 50 watts, which would be about 8 amps. I was using a 10 amp fuse. Am wondering if anyone has these lights if they can tell me what fuse comes with the kit?

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Okay, 15 it is. They should be drawing 8 amps, so I assumed a 20% buffer would be okay. But at 80% capacity, I guess the 10 amp slowly overheated.

Thanks.

·
Premium Member
1,591 Posts
I swapped out the bulbs for 35 watt ones. I'm pretty sure you can find the bulbs at walmart. If not, Home Depot or Lowes carries them. I'm also 15 amp fuse. Don't forget to put a small screw on the lid to keep them in place. They have a tendency of rattling off over a period of time. Can't beat the price for those little guys.

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
Don't forget to put a small screw on the lid to keep them in place. They have a tendency of rattling off over a period of time. Can't beat the price for those little guys.
He said he had the larger chrome lights. I'm guessing that they are 3"-4" in size. Don't know if the covers loosen up like our small ones.

I used a small dab of blue Lock Tight on my small light covers. They will NOT come off easy. ;)

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
He said he had the larger chrome lights. I'm guessing that they are 3"-4" in size. Don't know if the covers loosen up like our small ones.

I used a small dab of blue Lock Tight on my small light covers. They will NOT come off easy. ;)

They have screws, and I installed them. 15 amp was the ticket. They do a heck of a job at night, even though I have to aim them some more.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Did you use a relay?

I have read that a relay should be use, so that the power to the bigger lights come direct from the battery through the electric switch (the relay).

Question - if you replace the main headlight with a "bright light" or mega watt bulb, should you use the stock Hi and low beam wire as the switch on power source for the relay?
JSR in HSV

·
Registered
719 Posts
How did you mount the Wally driving lights on your bike? Photos?

·
Premium Member
1,834 Posts
Better be reading up on the relay for driving lights if you haven't used one in your installation and didn't see a mention of one; not and you might be soon kissing your starter switch goodbye.

·
Registered
452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How did you mount the Wally driving lights on your bike? Photos?
I used a three piece chrome clamp. I know you can get them at JC Whitney, suspect most any other cycle shop. I clamped them to the highway bars. No pics, sorry.

·
Registered
456 Posts
I have read that a relay should be use, so that the power to the bigger lights come direct from the battery through the electric switch (the relay).

Question - if you replace the main headlight with a "bright light" or mega watt bulb, should you use the stock Hi and low beam wire as the switch on power source for the relay?
JSR in HSV

If you really want a brighter headlight - go HID, either 35W or 55W, 5000K to 8000K is a good choice! Try DDMTuning.com --- I went All-Out 55w, 8000K Hi\Lo bulb...

As for the driving lights - if you do NOT have a Hondaline or other light bar installed that is already using the Honda factory connection for the "Fog Lamps", then you can use that connection to drive a pair of 35W lights.
It's the only connector inside your headlight housing that doesn't have something connected to it.
The Hondaline Fog Lamps are 35W each, so it shouldn't be a problem and the hot lead goes directly back to a 15A fuse in the fuse box.

·
Old Rider, newer VTX
185 Posts

JSR in HSV
The relay is important if you wire through the headlight harness and have the running lights (WalMart lights) shut off at start-up. If you wire direct and use a separate switch it would not be necessary to install the relay.

There is some really good documentation on a nice clean install of the lights by way of the headlight wiring harness. I'm just lazy and will wire mine direct with a separate switch. :D I'm installing my lights on the lower bolts of my Memphis Shade shield - the lower bolts are pretty much in-line with the headlight.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts