Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I got a VTX a couple of months ago. It had pipes and I had the shop put the jet kit in and put in k an N air filter and new plugs.

It starts very easy when its cold. I pull the choke out it starts right up, and then I push the choke in and give it a little gas, and it idles great.

My problem is whenever I have been riding for awhile if I let the bike sit for a couple of minutes and I go to restart it, it gives me serious crap.

Pull the choke out and it has to turn over 15+ times to get started. If I leave the choke in and give it throttle it still takes a tone of cranks to get going and I have to work the throttle. Also whenever I am warm starting it I get the smell of gas really bad. Don't really smell gas so much on the cold start.

Not sure what the deal is. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Quit using the choke, it's not really a choke at all, it just dumps gas into the carb, change the plugs & don't use that knob again, your starting troubles will stop.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Unfortunately they put in the Dynajet stage 1 kit. After I got the bike back from install, and I started reading these forums I realized it was a mistake but it seemed to be running good. I don't really want to buy a new jet kit and have the shop put it in. Thats like 70 for the jet kit and 300 for the labor. But I want this bike to run great and get great gas mileage, thats why I bought it.

I called the shop today and they are gonna take a look at it for me tomorrow. One guy I talked to seemed to think it was running to rich. But last night I also noticed a few backfires during freeway deceleration. So I'm pretty sure I agree with you that its running too lean.

I will repost tomorrow after I get back from the shop.

How hard is it to install a jet kit? I'm not very mechanically inclined but I spent 5 years in the navy so I know how to turn a wrench and follow directions.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
I got a VTX a couple of months ago. It had pipes and I had the shop put the jet kit in and put in k an N air filter and new plugs.

It starts very easy when its cold. I pull the choke out it starts right up, and then I push the choke in and give it a little gas, and it idles great.

My problem is whenever I have been riding for awhile if I let the bike sit for a couple of minutes and I go to restart it, it gives me serious crap.

Pull the choke out and it has to turn over 15+ times to get started. If I leave the choke in and give it throttle it still takes a tone of cranks to get going and I have to work the throttle. Also whenever I am warm starting it I get the smell of gas really bad. Don't really smell gas so much on the cold start.

Not sure what the deal is. Any advice would be awesome. Thanks.
First off you don't need a jet kit with new pipes....Not pulling any more air through the stock airbox with new pipes..Even adding the K&N filter doesn't mean crap with a stock airbox...

Second, if you absolutely HAVE to use the choke (enricher actually), it's only when the engine is stone cold...Using it with a warm or hot engine is just flooding the thing and killing the sparkplugs...

My suggestion is go back to the dealer that did the work and get your stock carb parts back...Put that stuff back in the carb, adjust the A/F screw out to 2-1/2 turns out from lightly seated, and stop using the "choke"...

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Unfortunately the shop installed the dyna jet stage 1 kit. I allowed them to do this before I was actively reading these forums. I stopped using the "choke" all together and it started easier yesterday, just had to work the throttle a little bit.

So at this point I guess it probably needs a new jet kit. I do not have all the stock parts, the shop only gave me back the needle, not the screw/main jet.
I'm thinking of installing the factory pro jet kit myself. Would the factory pro work well with a stock air filter and pipes, bubs btw?

Any recommended settings or tips would be helpful, I've never worked on a carb before but since I want this bike running good its time to learn.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
Unfortunately the shop installed the dyna jet stage 1 kit. I allowed them to do this before I was actively reading these forums. I stopped using the "choke" all together and it started easier yesterday, just had to work the throttle a little bit.

So at this point I guess it probably needs a new jet kit. I do not have all the stock parts, the shop only gave me back the needle, not the screw/main jet.
I'm thinking of installing the factory pro jet kit myself. Would the factory pro work well with a stock air filter and pipes, bubs btw?

Any recommended settings or tips would be helpful, I've never worked on a carb before but since I want this bike running good its time to learn.

With stock airbox, there is no need to change anything inside the carb. You'd be just as well off buying stock and starting over, the only thing to adjust with aftermarket pipes is the A/F screw.

·
Registered
7,404 Posts
If you plan on doing any upgrades in the future then it wouldn't be a bad idea to just install the FP and just set it on the third clip but I would install the 58 for the slow jet and for a little more sip I'd put the 210 in and set the a/f at 2 turns.
Just my opinion.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts