Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Waterproof Dash Cam Recommendations

4K views 13 replies 7 participants last post by  22600 
#1 ·
I'm looking for dash cam recommendations for my bike.

Desires
Waterproof
Looping recording
G sensor to save recording (God be with me)
GPS
Sub $200

If you use one let me know how you like it. If there are feature that never get used please mention that too.

:icon_ihearu:

#3 ·
I love my GoPro - the quality is second to none, but they are in love with them too, in terms of price.

They do offer a waterproof case (for mo money of course).

#5 ·
The top 2 that I'm looking at at the moment are the Innovv K2 and C5. It'll have to wait a bit longer though as they are both priced a little high than I can cover right now.

#6 ·
I like my Tachyon, just a camera no GPS. Uses micro SD card, I have used Tachyon brand for about nine years, good little camera. Mine runs for three or four years and the battery bellys up, recharegeable battery.
:patriot:

#7 ·
It's something that will be a novelty for a little while and then you will tire of it. go to www.Tanga.com and check out their camcorders. youwill find one that suits your needs for much less than a go pro. I just bought one for $15.00 from them and love the quality. I would go frequently as they get things in and sell out quickly. I bought a Cool-cam sport cam and it is excellent.

#8 ·
Speaking of cameras... ALOT of the ones I've run across do not say whether they will run continuously IF they are plugged into a power source. I had a cheapie ($39) Go-Pro clone camera that would NOT run except on battery. Of course- battery life was only 1- 1 1/2 hours- which is useless. I eventually broke that camera.. and glad I did.
I have had a Cool-iCam "sport-cam" for a couple years now. A friend found it at Big-Lots for $7.99 (still on Amazon for $25) . It works good, is waterproof, and I can keep it plugged in and it will run continuously until the card is full (32G takes about 8 hours). The image is shaky on the bike, but the software can be used to stabilize it adequately. It's 720P, and the images are good- but it's slow to react to changing light, and sometimes is washed out if heading into the sun. What I don't like is: no lcd screen so I can aim/monitor the camera. The on/off light is on top, and hard to see while riding (I've missed some rides thinking it was "on" but wasn't) With a screen- you pretty much know whether it's recording or not.

I've posted several bike videos I've taken with it here:

and Here:

There are more on my You-Tube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC7zaqIy98YjRDWrblSxN1wg?view_as=subscriber

I looked at some cameras (Amazon/eBay) for the OP- and found that most that meet his criteria are referred to as "dash-Cams" or "Motorcycle Cameras". Some use 1 or 2 remote cameras, for front and rear recording. The descriptions are pretty cryptic, as far as how long they run on a charge, whether they are/can be powered all the time, recording time on the SD card etc...
Pricing is all over the place.. reviews vary widely as well..
Here is one that gets good reviews, and is well within budget. I'm not sure just how "waterproof" it is or can be... but I don't ride much in the rain and could/would remove the camera if it was raining.
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B077Q3SLZX/ref=psdc_3248689011_t3_B079N672V7#customerReviews

all I can say is good-luck with the search and keep us updated if you find something.

#9 ·
I also have a Ghost 4k which the transfer speeds and remote wristband, and standard assortment of mounting options are terrific, Im not sure of its overall resistance to water and it has the same issue with distance as cheaper cams do - lens barrel distortion - which can cause fish eye imaging as if looking through a tube.

#12 ·
Did you read the questions/answers under the description? Hilarious!

#11 ·
Dave, I love the new sig pic!

Reactions: Sylvanus' Pilot
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.