Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

We Don't Do No Stinking Test Rides

6K views 75 replies 53 participants last post by  joemomma 
#1 ·
Sorry If I am a rube here. The H-D dealership I took the "Riders Edge" course from wanted a $2,000.00 cash deposit to let me test drive a bike. I walked. I found a used bike shop here in Salisbury, NC that let me test ride my slightly used VTX and I walked away with it. Same with the g/f's bike we bought there as well. Well she wants to trade for a cruiser and my normal shop is out of them and we ended up in a new and used dealership in Concord, NC. The place is Extremely huge and sells everything: Victorys and every Japanese bike known to man and she finds the slightly used bike of her dreams. Salesman's reply? "No, we don't do test rides, not even on used bikes" "It's against corporate policy." I asked, "You mean everyone that comes here spending from six to nearly thirty grand on some bikes, does so without having even taken it around the lot?" These boys inferred I was a rube and that bike dealerships "just don't do that anymore". So here's the question. Tell me if I am a rube. What have you guys experienced?

#4 ·
To me it is just like a car. If I can't test drive it I am not buying it. Back in '73 I wanted to buy my first bike. Not my first bike but the first bike I bought myself. A motorcycle and I had been riding mini bikes and trail 90s and 125 to 250 dirt bikes. I was between high school and college and me and my buddy went ot teh HD dealer to buy HDs. We went in wanting Sportsters but I saw the new LowRider and I man did it fit. we asked if we bought 2 bikes today would he give us a better deal and I asked if I could ride one beause I didn't know what model would fit me best. The ASSHOLE dealer ( he really was a true A-hole) just blew us off with "NO TEST RIDES" and "you can't afford one anyway". Well, I went to the Honda dealer and they wanted me to ride anything I wanted so I bought the one I wanted. Well, I did, I bought my first Honda. My buddy went down to LA and found a H-D dealer there that would deal, still no test rides, and he bought a Sportster. Our first out of town ride to the beach I ended up towing his Sportster on the freeway after it died in the middle of the grapevine (I-5).

Today, our HD dealer will let you ride just about anything. When I look at all the HD ads in the paper that say "serious buyers only" and "no test rides" I just have to laugh. No way would they spend $15K + on anything and not give it a test.

#5 ·
What is rube? I've never heard that b4.

#9 ·
#6 ·
Alot has to do with insurance... My stealer did not do test rides either but it was just bought out and under new ownership. I had done my research and shopped around but I knew what I was getting when I signed the papers. I know it's BS but it all boils down to the cost of doing buisness. They can't afford "Newbies" coming in for joy rides, dropping bikes and running up their premiums.

#7 ·
I must admit, I didn't test drive mine first but I really can't blame the stealer for that one. I didn't have my mc exemption on my license yet, so it would have been a bit difficult to convince them to let me test it out.

Now to their credit, they did let me jump on a used one they had there and take it around the parking lot for a few minutes just to get a feel.

So I purchased mine on reputation alone, but buying it new does make that a bit easier than buying a used one.

I didn't go to an H-D dealership, I went straight to Honda and stayed with Honda. Honda is all I wanted.

#10 ·
there's a bike shop in rockingham nc that i do business with www.sportcyclesrockingham.com they still have the test ride available. never met anyone that went there and didn't get to test ride (except those with M endorsements on their license).

#11 ·
My local dealer says he makes an individual judgment call on test rides. Most of his "no test ride" decisions are geared toward younger customers looking for sport bikes. He said he has had several kids take a sport bike for a test ride who tried right off the bat to show off - right out of the parking lot - and have ended up in an ambulance ride. He showed me the marks on the building across the street where they jumped the curb and hit the building. If someone shows up on a bike he generally doesn't have a problem. No problem, again, for most cruisers unless something about the customer says "I have no idea what I'm doing and am going to wreck the bike and hurt myself."

I respect that plan. Reduces his liability and may stop some idiot from getting hurt.

G26

#16 ·
My local dealer says he makes an individual judgment call on test rides. Most of his "no test ride" decisions are geared toward younger customers looking for sport bikes. He said he has had several kids take a sport bike for a test ride who tried right off the bat to show off - right out of the parking lot - and have ended up in an ambulance ride. He showed me the marks on the building across the street where they jumped the curb and hit the building. If someone shows up on a bike he generally doesn't have a problem. No problem, again, for most cruisers unless something about the customer says "I have no idea what I'm doing and am going to wreck the bike and hurt myself."

I respect that plan. Reduces his liability and may stop some idiot from getting hurt.

G26
:patriot:
I agree Ghost, from the dealer's point of view, you don't want liability to come back and bite your a$$. Usually you can tell who belongs on a bike and who doesn't

#13 ·
I can appreciate they dealer's position, but if they can't find a way to accomodate I would wear the scarlet "R" and go somewhere else. Fortunately, I haven't had that issue with either of my Honda shops.

#14 ·
Doug are you talking about Tilley H-D? I grew up in Rockwell and headed up there after I got my license for my first bike several years back. "We don't do that" (test ride) and "Why don't you get your parents to come in and talk to us" I was 21..TWENTY ONE and he was going to talk to me like I am some little kid. Little did he know that I had 1/2 of the MSRP in my pocket ready to ride. I ended up in RPM in Albemarle and the guys were great. When I asked them to test ride they had one or two quick safety questions for me and then asked me to do a figure 8 on this 250 nighthawk that was beat up to make sure I wouldn't drop it. I had no problem with this. I test rode a used model and ended up buying a new one because I liked the color better. I had never really did a lot of research on Hondas but that day I bought my old Sabre..nearly straight out.

I've heard extreme cycles in Salisbury is pretty decent...I know they carry Iron Horse stuff too. Which dealership in Concord? Sounds like I need to pay a visit.

#15 ·
that should have been "except those without the M endorsment on their license". sorry about that typo

#20 · (Edited)
The shop in Concord that would not let us test ride was "Ride Now". The name should be "Buy Now, Ride Later" The H-D Dealer that wanted a $2,000.00 damage deposit was Charlotte H-D. Incidentlly, the gave a great "Rider's Edge" Course. Tilly's H-D was moving while we were looking and took months to line up a "Rider's Edge" course, so that's why were at Charlotte H-D and now I'm "Honda Hooked"; no longer lusting after the bikes of the Motor Company. The folks that allow me to test ride, whom I have bought bikes from, is Salisbury Cycle Center at http://www.salisburycyclecenter.com/ They also fix our bikes right the first time and don't overcharge us. We just go to "Ride Now" to look at the new models now. Rumblebear's definition of "rube" coincides with my intended usage. BTW- me and the g/f arrived on bikes. We both have MC endorsements and insurance. It was a used cruiser with a few dings anyway. She's almost thirty and I am forty-five and I am an attorney and have enough money in my checking account to have bought the bike straight out if I wanted to. I'm gonna have the guys at SCC look for a similar bike for her. The "Buy Now" guys said that if I bought it and did not like it they might could "undo" the purchase. That's when I giggled. I don't giggle much.

#23 ·
+1 Ghost's comments.

The local HD dealers all have 'demo days' a few times a year when you can ride anything they have in the demo fleet. My salesman also let me ride whatever they had in the used fleet that was close to what I was looking for. Nice.

Plus, if you rent a bike then purchase one within a year they will deduct the rental fee from the purchase price. I had this offer from two different dealers.

One reason the dealers take a photocopy of your license before a ride is to run a quick credit check on you. It is to their advantage when it comes to negotiating price and credit terms.

BTW, before I purchased my VTX 1300 I test rode a friend's VTX. Was able to put about 50 miles on it over varying terrain and this ride sold me on the bike. We were both coming from riding VT1100 Hondas and the VTX was a big step up.

The insurance issue discussed above is valid, I worked in that industry for some 35 years, and test rides are a thing of the past. There is some discretion in allowing rides, however, so it helps to show some maturity and competency when asking.

Regards,

Silver

#49 ·
+1 Ghost's comments.

One reason the dealers take a photocopy of your license before a ride is to run a quick credit check on you. It is to their advantage when it comes to negotiating price and credit terms.

Regards,

Silver
How are they pulling a credit report without a SS#. I did not know you could check credit without a SS# and a signed form giving them permission to do so. They would get big fines for doing that.

#24 ·
While shopping for a new bike I went to H & W Honda Yamaha in Marshall Texas. They let me ride everything they had and some of them twice. It really made the difference when I made my decision. I ended up buying the only bike that actually scared me... the 1800R. It took only a short time however, to get comfortable with the weight and power, and I have never enjoyed a bike so much in my life. After riding for 41 years, it is pure pleasure to twist that throttle and then try and hang on... Without the test drive I might have settled for something ho-hum...

#27 ·
Rube ? I hear RUB used a lot. It means Rich Urban "Biker", you know, the guys that buy 20+ grand worth of "image" and think they're "bikers". Mostly pertains to HD garage trophy owners. Not all HD riders of course. Just a lot of them around here. Pirate costumes and all.

#29 ·
I didn't even ask to test drive my X at the dealer. A friend of mine owns a 1300c and I did ride his a bit. But I figured the liability alone would be huge on there end letting a total stranger take a test ride before purchasing.
We had a local guy about 2 months ago that went down to the local HD dealership. The man hadn't riden in a long time and decided he wanted a Harley. I do not recall the size of the bike he ended up getting, but I know it was a big bike. The HD dealership made him ride it around the parking lot for an hour ( they have a dedicated Riders Edge area) before they let him drive it off the lot just to make sure he was comfortable with the size. Once he left the parking lot he made it 8 miles hit a guard rail and died while his daughter and wife watched in the vehicle behind him. If this had happened on a test ride, the dealership could have easily been sued. I agree that test riding would be nice. Heck, I'll probably ask myself next time, but I can not blame them if they say no.

#30 ·
Rube: 1 : an awkward unsophisticated person
2 : a naive or inexperienced person

The Honda dealer said no test drive, ever. The HD said no problem, whatever you want to do. I still bought the X.

#32 ·
Place up here did not do new bike test rides, but used was ok provided you had the endorsement for a year. I rode a used 1100 and knew it was not comfortable. Rode a used 1300 and then asked about new. Ended up at another dealer using the crappy price and financing deal from the 1st and saved about 2k. Happy days.

#33 ·
I didnt ask to test ride the X when I bought it. I hadnt ridden in 22 years and didnt want to risk it. Yes, I was still endorsed.

The first thing the HD dealer told me..."I cant expect you to drop that kind of money on something you've never ridden". He knew I really loved my X and wanted me to be sure I liked the Street Glide...I went 12 miles including freeway. However, he knew I was a serious buyer.

I must say guys...there are a lot more pros than cons when comparing the HD to the X. Personally I think the HD is MUCH more comfortable on long rides...suspension, seat, handling, etc. Same gas mileage. But for the $$$ it should be that way. I am glad the X is still in the family though. Paula loves it.

#34 ·
I didn't get to test drive mine when i bought it, i had my m license but hadn't ridden on the street yet, was fresh from the msf class. if i had i probably would have bought an 1800. last weekend my wife decided she wanted to look at harley boots so we went to the harley shop and as i was walking in i eyed a crossbones, there was a guy sitting at a table and asked me which one i was going to ride today, as if i would say no, he handed me a helmet and paired me up with someone from the store on another bike and off we went, 20 miles later when we came back he asked how i liked it and that was that, it was free, no obligation to buy or anything, i thought that was strange, but whatever

#35 · (Edited)
This is a smart dealer. He will be in business long after the others H-D Dealers succumb to the economy and the mortgage payments for their multi-million dollar buildings that H-D forced them to build in the 90's. A note. I am an Attorney in NC and we have this thing called "contributory negligence". It means that if you contribute to your own injury, even 1% you can recover nothing from a person you sue for negligence. I can't imagine how a dealership in this state could get sued here if some guys goes out and wrecks himself during a test ride.

I say that there's a lot of iron that gets sold to people that's just "not the right bike" because of this no test ride policy. I hereby call boycott! No ride, No buy! Pass the word to the dealers.:nono: Is there a way to E-mail a link to this board to the dealers or do you need a log in?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.