Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
After a recent, very close call, (think of the GEICO commercial where the driver pulls out in front of a bike, and ends up with a headlight in his ear), I decided to take a closer look at my riding style. As I rode the thirty mile loop, to and from work each day, I was amazed at the number of times I had to do make some manuever to avoid another driver, who "didn't see me". Most manuevers were minor, since I anticipated what they were going to do, and acted accordingly ahead of time, but my point is, that none of them would have happened if I had been driving a car. After one trip, I decided to stop taking inventory of my close calls, as I was starting to get a little paranoid. I guess my point for all this rambling is to say just be careful out there, and give yourself plenty of time / space to avoid becoming a hood ornament for another dumbass cager.

P.S. The minute someone picks up a cell phone while behind the wheel, they become a threat to everyone, and should be SHOT ON SITE!! :choppersm

·
Registered
1,919 Posts
I've noticed a lot of that too. I try not to drive in someone's blindspot. That is not enough. I have the Kissan Headlight modulator and I know it has saved my butt many times. Even wearing contrasting colors and adding more lights to the bike. The Idiots just don't care. I'm sure some of them figure I'll have to get out of their way because I have no protection. If I was driving a tank, they would leave me alone. I see some of the same bad driving when I drive my motorhome. Like I can stop on a dime in a 30' Winnebago. While on the bike, I'd like to have a paintball gun and blast the cars driving stupid. Ok, I'd like to use my glock but the police would not see the humor in that. DRIVE SAFE! Dress for protection.

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You can't ride paranoid, but you can ride safe.

Just keep your eyes open, and that car on the ride road up there is GOING to pull out in front of you... Just anticipate it happening and be ready for it. That has saved me from some close calls a few times.

I dont ride in people's blind spots either.. I had a headlight modulator but more than a few times, people were driving stupid around me trying to tell me my headlight is malfunctioning... Best you can do is light up as much as possible (Sylvania silverstar ultra, or a HID kit for your headlight, and fog lights) then a brake light wig-wag module to make people notice you when they're behind you..

-Gonz

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
A few years back I got rear ended three time in less than a year (in a cage, thank God). Each time, I was stopped, waiting to make a left turn and it was daylight. Some folks just go to sleep when they get behind the wheel. I got to where I expected to be hit each time I got into the car. That was ten years ago, and I've not been hit since.

·
Slayer of Chickens
7,029 Posts
You can't ride paranoid, but you can ride safe.-Gonz

I like this, though I know what the OP was trying to mean I suppose. But basically yep, ride with awareness, obviously don't let it make 'you' jumpy... but definitely remain aware.

Good reminder thread.

Mort

·
Re-member
1,078 Posts
Some of the best biking advice I ever got was when a buddy told me to think that everybody I see when I'm riding is out to get me...:icon_susp "how is that guy going to ruin my day?" It helps me to anticipate the folks that just don't see:banghead:, and to be ready for the ones that don't even try to see...:nono:

·
Registered
22 Posts
Visibility

I agree with your assessment of visibility. I have been looking for some light modifications for my VTX. I also ride a pedal (recumbent) bike and put front halogen lights on it for night riding, but they have a flashing feature which I use during the day. I was amazed at how many car drivers actually slowed downed or even waited for me to drive by. It seems to me that I have seen some motorcycle front lights with a daytime flashing feature. Have you ever considered some light modifications for more visibility?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Be careful riding out there, fellow bikers. Take it from a ER RN. I see a number of accidents with the cause being, "I never even saw him/her on that bike!"

·
Registered
875 Posts
Had some close calls myself. 85 % of the gagers are texting or on the phone really have got to pay attention. schools out and alot more people out there!!!

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Ok...I may get myself into some trouble here. But THIS is how I personally stay alive in the state of South Carolina where bikes are run off the road, crushed at intersections or decimated by left turning, non-signalling, non-attentive, non-concerned cage drivers on a weekly basis (note: majority of cagers are of a certain sex and color, but I don't feel free posting that info AND the following "How-To")... :icon_susp

:hmm2:First of all let me state that, in the end, this may still only work for me (especially sense, if I mention it aloud to others, they just laugh as though I were joking or something), but she here goes out to whomever might find it beneficial.

Secondly, let me clarify that all I really did was merely modify my past military infantry skills, perceptions, attitude and sense of awareness into a practical means of riding my motorcycle and STILL get to enjoy the act. :choppersm

Lastly, I broke it down into just two simple rules to ride by...

How to Turn Non-Constructive Riding Paranoia into Better and More Effective Riding Awareness and Enjoyment

Rule #1: Fully understand and mentally process that they ARE out to get you, it IS as bad as it seems and you are NOT going to change anyone with that itty-bitty two-wheeler...so RELAX! :cool:

Rule #2: Mentally pull your Glock (or other preferred "equalizer") and look for the next cage driver you will/would/might/should need to shoot before (fantasy) they can fulfill Rule #1.
  • Rule #2a: QUICKLY transition back to a NEW potential target the moment the "threat" is negated.
  • Rule #3a: Develope skills and techniques to visually track multiple targets simutaneously and be pro-active as necessary.
  • Rule #2c: Assigning points for threats negated by pro-active actions can make for a shorter and more note-worthy trip/ride/commute than might otherwise prove to be in effect. Remember to subtract points for missing a threat while mentally patting yourself on the back for the last avoidance.
Disclaimer: If you are or ever have been on Thorozine (or its like), do NOT attempt to follow this advice and promptly get a relative to sell your bike for you. :coffee:

·
Klaatu Barada Nikto
1,807 Posts
since ive added my led fog lights i have reduced the number of pull outs in front of me and changing lanes besides me to ZERO... now i know 1 day someone will but i can just slightly relax for a moment.... Ask anybody from the tech session how bright they are too...

·
shock factor unrated
12,435 Posts
damn, if i rode this intense i think i'd honestly sale my bike and ride the cage all the time.....seriously, to ride with the feeling that everyone is out to get me is not safe driving as paranoia will get someone killed and usually the one that's paranoid as you tend to drive tense and tense riding on a bike is not a good thing...to me, there's a huge difference between tense paranoid riding and simply using the old nogging and being safe...add lights, add a louder horn, get neon signs announcing your presence in their company, but please, don't drive tense it's not just bad for you, but for everyone around you as a tense driver on a bike is seriously a bad rider...feel free to bash me for the way i feel, but i've seen more bikes go down from being tense and doing something stupid than i have ever seen bikes go down for simply being safe...

·
Registered
13 Posts
Dmv

Wouldnt it be nice if every 5 years DMV had people retake their drivers test for a small fee to make sure drivers stay current with new and old traffic laws .... most people these days just dont know how to drive cars anymore and it needs to be regulated. traffic cops are not around when they should be. Cell phones dont help either; they make stupid drivers less observent than they already are.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Defensive skills re-training every year,
Added Light bar for more oncoming visibility,
Added headlight modulator for those who still are not paying attention,
Added rear brake light modulator for those behind me that are driving with their attention spilt on something else,
Added a higher decible (yes, it exceeds the allowable limit but tough, this is about being safe. The stock horn is garbage).
And, a quick rev of the engine with the V&H's pipes helps to keep them back on the lane to your right.
All good but it comes down to us. We need to ride only while on top of the game. Plan long rides with an appropriate amount of hours on the bike in a day. Don't ride tired and practice, practice, practice your maneuvers and general riding skills.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts