Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 55 Posts

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got a call from Jen a little bit ago...She had to work today, and hit a deer on the way in...Sent me a cell phone pic of the damage, and it's pretty bad...Knocked the grill out of her little S-10, and she said it was running hot, so I assume a busted radiator too...This is NOT what we needed right now...Can't afford a car payment at this time, and her truck is our main trasnportation....:banghead:

Gonna have to go get her with my hearse later, and I'll stop by where the pickup is to get a better look at the damage....

This sucks......:(

·
Registered
1,835 Posts
Sorry to hear this Bill. Even with insurance, you still got the damn deductible. :banghead: Just glad Jen's ok and it's only the car that's damaged.

I'm praying 2011 brings you and Jen as much GOOD fortune as you've had bad this year.

·
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sorry to hear this Bill. Even with insurance, you still got the damn deductible. :banghead: Just glad Jen's ok and it's only the car that's damaged.

I'm praying 2011 brings you and Jen as much GOOD fortune as you've had bad this year.
Her truck has been paid off for years now...At that time she dropped to just PLPD....Not gonna get chit for the damage to the truck....Grill is knocked out, and she said it was getting hot so I assume the radiator and core support are bent to hell also...Said the hood is wrinkled too...

Weird thing is we almost hit three yesterday in the same area..Roads were snow covered then and I was driving...Almost slid off the road, but didn't hit any of them...Then today she hits one today...Said she was doing about 40 mph (limit is 45)...Not sure if it's worth fixing her truck or trying to find a cheap car to replace it....

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
Sorry for the bad luck Bill but I'm glad to hear Jenny is ok...
I know what it's like to be down a ride when you really can't just step out & get another one, been there a couple times over the years.

Unless the S-10 is really bent up it'll be cheaper to patch it up even if it's not pretty. If you have a come-a-long (spelling?) you can pull out the core support and even the hood enough to be able to put in a new rad & shut the hood. But, I guess you won't really know what it needs until you see it.

·
2,807 Posts
bill, sorry about jen, keep in mind the there are tons of s-10's in the junk yards, you should be able to fix it quickly and for a lot less then a buying a new g-ride.

·
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry for the bad luck Bill but I'm glad to hear Jenny is ok...
I know what it's like to be down a ride when you really can't just step out & get another one, been there a couple times over the years.

Unless the S-10 is really bent up it'll be cheaper to patch it up even if it's not pretty. If you have a come-a-long (spelling?) you can pull out the core support and even the hood enough to be able to put in a new rad & shut the hood. But, I guess you won't really know what it needs until you see it.
Already been on ebay, looking for parts...Radiator about $80, core support another $80, new grill $50...Hoods are expensive though at around $200 for a primered one...Might need alot more though...Gotta go pick her up from work in a couple hours...Taking the digital camera and will get a good look at it then...She thinks it's not repairable....Not crazy about driving my hearse around in all this salt and crap, but no other choice right now...Gotta take Odie to the vet today, and finish Christmas shopping...I bet nobody else will be using a hearse to go Christmas shopping!!...lol...

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
Man, go to a auto junk yard ! Look in the phone book yellow pages for one ! You wrench on the bike now go to work on the pickup !

·
Erect Member
11,583 Posts
as tiger said...junkyard. i just put a hood on an 89 s10 about 2 months ago. bought it at a junkyard for $75...just had to take it off and paint it. as far as parts...any blazer, s15, or jimmy from the same body style will interchange.

glad she wasnt hurt. good luck

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Sorry about the truck. You might want to look at front clips and just replace the whole thing. Less time involve that way. You may find a good deal on craigslist for a clip. What years will fit her truck???

·
Reeling Jackwagon
2003 1300S
9,121 Posts
Damn deer! Glad Jenny is Okay. Fixing what you got is always cheaper than replacing it with somebody else's problems. Even if it ain't pretty, it'll be road worthy and get you through till you can repair or replace it for cosmetic damage.

·
apacolypse survivor!
4,517 Posts
sorry about your truck, I hope at least you got the deer thats alot of good meat going to waste. I hit one doing about 50 with my nissan frontier. second call I made was to the game warden wanting a tag. the deer got my quarter panel. but I had my sweet sweet revenge for dinner!

·
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well folks here's the pics...:(

Pretty bad huh??....This was a HUGE ass deer...It didn't even damage the front bumper (the dent in the pics was there when she bought the truck), but took out everything above the bumper...Luckily the airbag didn't deploy, or she woulda been hit by plastic crap from the steering wheel....Jen says her back is kinda tight, and her spirits aren't exactly tip top, but otherwise she's fine....We had a co-worker bring a trailer to help us get the truck back here at the house, and they actually are letting us borrow a car until we get another to replace the truck...Due to the high mileage (270,000+) and the body rust that is taking over, and the fact that she drove the truck about 5 miles with no anti-freeze in it (she didn't even think about that), we decided that it's best to just get another car....I drove it on and off the trailer, and it's not right anymore anyway....Clutch linkage is buggered up, and there's a rattling in the top end of the engine..I suspect the cam bearings are shot from running it hot....Those aluminum heads won't tolerate getting hot at all...She bought it used in 1999, and got her $$ worth out of it...Was a great little pickup....So now we're hanging out, having some rum & cokes and relaxing....:drunk:

·
33,457 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Oh yeah, one other thing boys and girls....You know those "deer whistles" that are promoted to "scare" the deer running away??...They DON'T friggin" work!!!....My brother had a Chevy Chevette he inherited from my dad, and dad bought a pair of those for it...Doug hit a deer and totalled the car within 2 months..And Jenny had bought a pair of those damn things (against my advice/waste of $$$) and put them on the truck...Well as you can see, they did a bang-up (literally) job of calling the deer right out of the woods and made it run right into her truck...Yeah, it was on a kamikazi mission....:banghead:

Moral of the story??...Don't waste your $$ on those P.O.S. things!!!...:nono:

·
Registered
4,323 Posts
WOW...Glad to hear she wasn't hurt...does suck about the truck.....

I could not agree more about those stupid "deer whistles"....I always removed them from any 18 wheeler I drove....amazing how they never would stay on the fenders of the tractor....:rolleyes:;)

Kudos to your friends for the use of a vehicle.....

1 - 20 of 55 Posts