Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I am in Bartlett...outskirts of Memphis. Rode up to Paris,TN last week. Rode up Hwy 70.
You must have come through Brownsville then. 70 up to Paris Landing is a nice ride I take occasionaly. You should ride all the roads that take you through all the small towns in northwest TN. It is a great way to spend a day riding.

·
Future Walt Kowolski
101 Posts
True statement...especially this time of the year when the corn and cotton are high. I like the smell of cotton blooming, some people dont care for it. I am planning a ride to Shiloh in a few weeks. Going to visit the Vet cemetary there.:patriot:

·
Registered
1,986 Posts
Keep us updated. I'm in Olive Branch and would like to take that ride sometimes. Sounds like fun.

·
Future Walt Kowolski
101 Posts

·
Registered
1,986 Posts

·
Future Walt Kowolski
101 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
A suggestion: Turn south on Hwy 196 off Hwy 64 E and go south to Piperton. Then get on Hwy 57 E all the way to Hwy 22 N which will take you straight into Shiloh. Also you are right at Pickwick Lake. This route takes you some very nice small towns with a rich War Beteween The States history and some nice plantation estates still intact. A very scenic and pleasant ride. And Shiloh is a trip in itself. Two bloody days in April 1862 with more than 25000 killed on each side. And equal numbers wounded. If you love history in general and the WBTS in particular ( me on both counts) this is a good ride, both in the getting there and as a destination.

·
Future Walt Kowolski
101 Posts
Sounds good to me. Hopefully we a get good turnout.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I may be interested in joining. I am in Millington just north of Memphis.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I may be interested in joining. I am in Millington just north of Memphis.
Feel welcome and also welcome to the cafe.
I rode down to Memphis today for lunch. I ate at Dyers Hamburgers on Beale St. I heard about them on the Food Network Channel. They claim to still cook with the same grease (filtered every day) that was used when the place was established in 1912. And they deep fry the hamburger pattie(s) instead of grilling or griddleing them. I like exploring Memphis on the bike. I admit I have gotten into some neighborhoods that I may have gotten out of safely only by the grace of God. :)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Feel welcome and also welcome to the cafe.
I rode down to Memphis today for lunch. I ate at Dyers Hamburgers on Beale St. I heard about them on the Food Network Channel. They claim to still cook with the same grease (filtered every day) that was used when the place was established in 1912. And they deep fry the hamburger pattie(s) instead of grilling or griddleing them. I like exploring Memphis on the bike. I admit I have gotten into some neighborhoods that I may have gotten out of safely only by the grace of God. :)
I try to stay away from Memphis just because you can get into some bad areas very quickly. I go where I need to then back. They do bikes on Beale every Wednesday and I have yet to go. I usually go to Joe's Crab Shack for bike night.
Keep me informed of the ride to Shiloh . Sound like a fun ride.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
I try to stay away from Memphis just because you can get into some bad areas very quickly. I go where I need to then back. They do bikes on Beale every Wednesday and I have yet to go. I usually go to Joe's Crab Shack for bike night.
Keep me informed of the ride to Shiloh . Sound like a fun ride.
I understand that, but I enjoy the exploring too much. On the positive side, I have seen some beautiful homes and some historic places that I would not have ever gone and found without the bike. I am always "aware" of my surroundings and looking for an exit if I get a bad feeling about an area. I generally do not carry a firearm even though I could. I do have a good friend who is a Colonel with MPD and asked him at Church this morning about MPD's policy of other agency LEO's (me) carrying in Memphis. He was emphatic that I should. Hate to have change the way I dress to ride to accomodate that though. None of this will be a problem with a Shiloh ride.

I decided to ck out the cafe a long time poster on the OA I live in Brighton :choppersm
Welcomed you at the other post but welcome again.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I understand that, but I enjoy the exploring too much. On the positive side, I have seen some beautiful homes and some historic places that I would not have ever gone and found without the bike. I am always "aware" of my surroundings and looking for an exit if I get a bad feeling about an area. I generally do not carry a firearm even though I could. I do have a good friend who is a Colonel with MPD and asked him at Church this morning about MPD's policy of other agency LEO's (me) carrying in Memphis. He was emphatic that I should. Hate to have change the way I dress to ride to accomodate that though. None of this will be a problem with a Shiloh ride.

Welcomed you at the other post but welcome again.
You are right about some beautiful homes around. Your friend is right. You should carry when in Memphis. Back to the ride. When is the trip planed? I would like to plan for it make sure my schedule is clear.

·
Future Walt Kowolski
101 Posts
"I admit I have gotten into some neighborhoods that I may have gotten out of safely only by the grace of God. :)"

That is every neighborhood a few blocks off of Beale. But Beale Street is worth the trip. I was in that area on Saturday, there is a new cigar lounge on 2nd Street (www.havanamix.com) . Great place if you are a cigar smoker. Comfortable chairs, good selection in the humidor and there is a Cuban guy who rolls the house brand on the weekends. I tried the house brand and was actually really good.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hello Folks,,,, I am new to the board and look forward to meeting you folks and riding w/ you sometime.... I live near Shiloh, so if you get that ride together, let me know and I will try tag along.... >>>---->

·
Registered
60 Posts
Any one know when the ride to Shiloh is. We rode near there over the holiday weekend. I was a nice ride.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Hello Folks,,,, I am new to the board and look forward to meeting you folks and riding w/ you sometime.... I live near Shiloh, so if you get that ride together, let me know and I will try tag along.... >>>---->
My brother lives in Savannah...that is when he is home. He is an Ag helicopter pilot and is gone from April through October. You are about an hour or so from me.

Any one know when the ride to Shiloh is. We rode near there over the holiday weekend. I was a nice ride.
That ride was Senior Chief's idea originally. Don't want to hijack his idea. It would be good ride from Memphis especially on that southern route I suggested.
And Shiloh is right in Bownutrob's (above) back door.

But if anyone ever has time for a ride and wants to ride with someone, shoot me a PM. I can ride any day of the week, but not the same days every week. It just depends on the week. I work two days on / two days off so it rotates every week. And every other weekend off. I have all kinds of rides I take if you don't have anything in mind. The max has been 411 miles and four states in one day for a pleasure ride and not a vacation trip. But usually I get in at least 150 miles on a pleasure ride.

21 - 40 of 54 Posts