Too short for my weight
5,316 Posts

·
Too short for my weight
5,316 Posts

·
Registered
5,635 Posts
Home safe and sound. No rain till we headed north out of Beckley, WV till just before Chillicothe, OH then a massive down pour in Indianapolis for 2 miles right where me and Reid Eimerman split up. Thanks James Morris and family and friends for another great year.

·
my toes, my line
4,095 Posts

·
Too short for my weight
5,316 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
One thing to know for anyone riding north from NC to Welch is that the road (VA 91) a group of us had planned to take (at my suggestion unfortunately) has a 5.5 mile unpaved (gravel) section and to make this worse, the gravel section involves a lot of steep areas with switchbacks. Definitely not a good choice for riding. We saw a sign that warned of gravel ahead and cut off NE on VA 601 which took us to near the northern end of the Back of the Dragon. This was a real shame since the road looked like a great ride on a map had it been paved.

I enjoyed that 5 miles of gravel myself, but I'm from the area and ride gravel often. I didn't see your travel plan until after you had headed north or I would have warned you.

Kevin

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Glad yinz made it home safely. "Meeting Vinish @ the Moose", is better than meeting Vinish -AND- a moose! I'm in moose country, but haven't seen any yet, thank GOD. I'm reporting in from Deer Lake, Newfie, on the west side of 'the Rock'. The locals joke that they like seeing tourists in their dirty cars, since they want all the dirt they can get up here. The scenery along the TCH (Trans-Canadian Hwy.) is frickin' fantastic! I've never been to the Rockies, but have seen many pix, and this place is similar. Tomorrow we will go the whole way up the west coast to the first Viking settlement in N. America, circa 1000 AD. More scenery along the coast. Boo hoo. :glee:

·
Super Moderator
9,546 Posts
I enjoyed that 5 miles of gravel myself, but I'm from the area and ride gravel often. I didn't see your travel plan until after you had headed north or I would have warned you.

Kevin
No worries. We didn't have to ride on it and just moseyed over to Rt 16.

·
Registered
15,796 Posts
Oh, and the time is screwy up here. Up through Nova Scotia the time is Atlantic Time Zone, 1 hr. earlier than Eastern Time like we have (most of us). As soon as we left port, we were on Newfoundland time, which isn't an hr. earlier like NS, it's an hr. + 1/2! So it's 9:10 there, and here it's 10:40.

·
Erect Member
11,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #652
it was a great weekend...few showers but no rain on any of the rides. thank you everyone for coming. it was certainly my pleasure to have your company here in west virginia again. looking forward to seeing everyone again soon too

·
Deplorable member
7,385 Posts
Made it home today around 1:30. I had a pretty soggy ride down 16 yesterday. The rain finally stopped around Asheville. This mornings ride was great just like the ride Fri. and Sat. "El Scootero" ran flawlessly and I averaged in the mid 40's with 1204.5 miles total. Thanks, Jimmy, for putting this on and thanks to everyone for the kind words. It really was great to all of you again.

100_7413.JPG / 100_7415.JPG / 100_7418.JPG / 100_7420.JPG

·
Deplorable member
7,385 Posts
On a side note, THE debate is over. Black is the fastest color with orange coming in a distant 2nd. To prove it, look at this pic of the first bikes to show up at the Pokey.

100_7408.JPG / 100_7409.JPG

·
Deplorable member
7,385 Posts
What about a black/orange combo where the actual motor and wheels are black?:47b20s0:
NAH!!!!!!!!! Gary had an orange shirt and a black kilt on Sat. and I'm trying to purge that image from my brain. Joe got a lot better look than most due to the height of his chair.:stirpot:

·
FREEBIRD
7,345 Posts
Lol, that'll make you run fast.(away from him):icon_yikes:
It's a good thing what happens at the Pokey stays at the Pokey.

641 - 660 of 696 Posts