Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
While not on a VTX, I offer for your enjoyment a report on a ride I went on today.

On a beautiful fall day, I left my home near Etowah, NC this morning at 9:45 a.m. The temperature was about 55°F. The fog in our community was pretty thick. Here is a view across the road onto our golf course and you can see the fog. Morning Fog at 9-45 a.m..jpg Here is my bike ready to roll out. Ready to roll out.jpg

I took US64 west to US276 up to the BRP where I stopped briefly for a picture. Here are pictures from the BRP of the lowlands I had just come from. Lowland Fog back home from BRP.jpg Lowland Fog from BRP.jpg You can see the fog in some of the valleys. From the start of US276 to the end of the day, it was bright sunshine all day. Here is a picture from the BRP showing that the color is just beginning to form in the trees. Slight color in trees.jpg We are still weeks away from peak color.

I got back on US276 north and took it down to Canton. From there I took Crabtree Mt. Road north. This is a virtually unknown but great road. Lots of steep twisties with plenty of first gear turns. Here is a picture looking back at Canton, NC. Canton from Crabtree Mt. Road.jpg The large paper mill is the source of all the steam from the stacks. My only companion on this ride is shown at the top of the next picture also from Crabtree Mt. Rd. Crabtree Mt. Road with Moon.jpg The moon stayed with me the whole day. Here is a sign on Crabtree Mt. Road showing how twisty it is and another pic from this road. Crabtree Mt. Road.jpg Sign on Crabtree Mt. Road.jpg At the end of Crabtree Mt. Road, I got on NC209 north (known as the Rattler) but only took this to Trust, NC. Here is the little store and popular bike stop in Trust. Trust Gen Store.jpg

To be continued in next post.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
From Trust, NC I took NC63 E/SE to 1107/1600/Sandy Mush Rd. and then NE to the tiny town of Marshall. Here is a cool little barn on Sandy Mush Rd. as well as another pic from that road. Roadside barn.jpg Sandy Mush Rd..jpg Here is a picture of the French Broad River as I entered Marshall and another picture showing the county seat building in Marshall. French Broad in Marshall, NC.jpg Marshall, NC.jpg

From there it was US25 NW to NC208 which is another twisty road. Here is the sign showing that at the start of NC208. NC208 Sign in Hurricane, NC.jpg I then took NC212 which becomes TN352 at the border. TN State Line Sign.jpg From there I went under I26 and got on US19W. Here is the sign at the entrance to US19W. Entrance to 19W.jpg Certainly this suggested a good road lay ahead. I had never been on this road but now I highly recommend it. Beautiful ride along a creek/river most of the way with plenty of twisties and elevation change also. On this road I went back into NC. NC State Line Sign on US19W.jpg I then went west on US19 to I26 south and headed back home via US280 into the SE edge of Brevard and then east on US64. I stopped at a nice little bar in Brevard for a snack and a cold brew (Elysian Space Dust IPA – very tasty and a chicken flat bread with Indian spices - also very tasty). Sorry no pics.

Overall, I rode for 235 miles. I was gone for about 6.5 hrs and was in the saddle for 5 hrs-23 minutes. According the trip odometer info, my average speed while riding was 46.1 mph and my average fuel economy was 43.9 mpg (I do not believe this as my hand calculations are more like 39 mpg). The temperature when I left home was 53 F and I was in chaps, sweatshirt, a lightweight but insulated jacket, and full finger gloves. About 1:00 it was up to 73 F and I switched to my warm weather gear of t-shirt, vest, half-finger gloves, and removed the chaps.

It was a great ride and probably my last long ride of the season in NC. We head to Florida for the ~6 months of winter in about a week.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,693 Posts
Rode the rattler both ways I don't remember how many times last summer. Nice little road but had lot of rough pavement areas on one of the curvy hill bits.

Looks like you had a fun ride. :)

·
Too short for my weight
5,586 Posts
Those are good roads.... I didn’t know about the Crabtree one, I’ll check it out. I too got out for a ride yesterday, about the same mileage and time but I rode south and then back up (281, 178, 11, 276, 19, 28, 23)

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The Rattler (NC209) is a great bike road but it is surprisingly poorly marked for curves. Compared to most state roads with lots of curves, NC209 has far fewer warning signs showing the little pseudo arrows like less than or greater than signs (i.e. < or >), far fewer cautions about speed in a curve, and far fewer twisty arrow signs. The curves can really sneak up on a rider who is going fast - which I was.

·
Registered
14 Posts
The Rattler (NC209) is a great bike road but it is surprisingly poorly marked for curves. Compared to most state roads with lots of curves, NC209 has far fewer warning signs showing the little pseudo arrows like less than or greater than signs (i.e. < or >), far fewer cautions about speed in a curve, and far fewer twisty arrow signs. The curves can really sneak up on a rider who is going fast - which I was.
I am headed to Hot Springs tomorrow. For about 3 days of riding .

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Will you be riding in that area sunday? I could join you on Sunday - weather permitting. Where are you coming from?

·
Too short for my weight
5,586 Posts
Supposed to be raining all weekend.... ride safe!

·
Mean ol' Mo' Fo'
389 Posts
WNC is my fav place to be but,
Too bad Grannys Chicken Palace closed down.

·
Too short for my weight
5,586 Posts
WNC is my fav place to be but,
Too bad Grannys Chicken Palace closed down.
You mean granny’s in cherokee? They’re still open. The old grandmas barn in Sylva is long gone.

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
The Granny's Chicken Palace in or near Junaluska (sp?) has been closed and I believe this is permanent.

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
Great ride and post, Jim! Thanks for sharing.
This past Fri, 10/9, my brother and I got to ride together for the the first time - he lives in Asheville. We visited some of the same roads you did on a route he had put together. The stats below are mine...I take the curves slower than my brother and also was fighting a front end wobble (yep, back 9 years after originally having the stem bearings replaced).
Have a good winter in Florida!

·
Registered
1 Posts
While not on a VTX, I offer for your enjoyment a report on a ride I went on today.

On a beautiful fall day, I left my home near Etowah, NC this morning at 9:45 a.m. The temperature was about 55°F. The fog in our community was pretty thick. Here is a view across the road onto our golf course and you can see the fog. View attachment 240471 Here is my bike ready to roll out. View attachment 240472

I took US64 west to US276 up to the BRP where I stopped briefly for a picture. Here are pictures from the BRP of the lowlands I had just come from. View attachment 240473 View attachment 240474 You can see the fog in some of the valleys. From the start of US276 to the end of the day, it was bright sunshine all day. Here is a picture from the BRP showing that the color is just beginning to form in the trees. View attachment 240475 We are still weeks away from peak color.

I got back on US276 north and took it down to Canton. From there I took Crabtree Mt. Road north. This is a virtually unknown but great road. Lots of steep twisties with plenty of first gear turns. Here is a picture looking back at Canton, NC. View attachment 240476 The large paper mill is the source of all the steam from the stacks. My only companion on this ride is shown at the top of the next picture also from Crabtree Mt. Rd. View attachment 240477 The moon stayed with me the whole day. Here is a sign on Crabtree Mt. Road showing how twisty it is and another pic from this road. View attachment 240478 View attachment 240479 At the end of Crabtree Mt. Road, I got on NC209 north (known as the Rattler) but only took this to Trust, NC. Here is the little store and popular bike stop in Trust. View attachment 240480

To be continued in next post.
If you’re looking for some company on a weekend ride, let me know. I’m in Mills River. Just minutes from Etowah.

·
Too short for my weight
5,586 Posts
If you’re looking for some company on a weekend ride, let me know. I’m in Mills River. Just minutes from Etowah.
Only ride with vinish if you can race....

Reactions: IndyX and 2unwind

·
Super Moderator
10,298 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Yeah, Rishingfoolemjak is right. I push it pretty hard :) Apoman, I would love to ride with you but we leave before dawn tomorrow for Florida for the winter. I will not be back in NC until late April. Give me a shout then and we can definitely ride.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts