Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought a new VTX1800F37. I noticed the headlight was pointed 'way low for night riding, so I went for the owner's manual to see how to adjust it. Noticed my tool bag (typical Honda blue plastic sack), and pulled it out ... it felt "light".

Upon opening, I found that the tool kit contained ONE SCREWDRIVER AND TWO ALLEN WRENCHES! Is that all we get these days, or was I robbed?

The manual neglects to show what the contents of the tool kit should be, and there is a suspicious statement about a "more complete tool kit" being available.

To add insult to injury, I notice the manual recommends taking the bike to the DEALER for HEADLIGHT ADJUSTMENT !!!??? I guess that's because owners shouldn't have any tools?

I guess I also still have the burning question on how to adjust the headlight (I have plenty of metric tools already, thanks).

best regards,

Marty

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
The tool kit is useless and you need to build your own.

I would also suggest avoiding the stealer at all costs . . .

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
I got a better toolkit than that for free from the girls of the Karney Law Firm calendar that gives them away at events. Still kinda cheesy fro a freebie, but a lot more useful than what you mentioned here. and theirs came with the bike calendar and a copy of Full Throttle magazine. woohoo.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Yeah, the tool kit is a joke. If you want to know what might have been provided in it at one time, you can go someplace like BikeBandit and look at the OEM tool list for your bike; they are really cheap little crap tools though and you'd be better off to throw your own kit together. I believe I have seen a couple of threads for what people have found useful to include in one. If you do a search on here you can probably find them.

·
Registered
344 Posts
adjusting headlight

if you look on the bottom of the headlight visor you will see two holes which lead to adjustment screws, one for vertical one for horizontal. If i rememeber right the top edge of the light should be 3 feet high at 17 feet away from a wall with the bike on level.

my used, new to me bike didnt come with tools at all so ive built my own kit

·
Registered
85 Posts
Same here, screwwdriver & 2 allen wrenches. Thought someone stole the other tools. Got online, ordered the whole kit. The tools are a joke.

·
Registered
877 Posts
I guess us 1300 owners are expected to be the gearheads of the VTX crowd then? My toolkit came with several allen wrenches, a plug 'socket', 8-14mm wrenches, shock spanner, and screwdriver.

·
Registered
60 Posts
My used 2005 1800F came with a whole bunch of tools. The toolkit barely fits in the compartment for it - I have to be real careful about how I pack it up so that it will go in. I didn't count, but it seems like there is a tool for every size nut and bolt on the bike, except, of course, for the oil filter!

·
Registered
877 Posts
My used 2005 1800F came with a whole bunch of tools. The toolkit barely fits in the compartment for it - I have to be real careful about how I pack it up so that it will go in. I didn't count, but it seems like there is a tool for every size nut and bolt on the bike, except, of course, for the oil filter!

sounds 'bout right. Ceptin of course anything that could be used to remove the wheels...

·
Gecko?
5,411 Posts
What Came In Your Tool Kit?
Nothing useful. :D:D

My 2005 1300C had a lot more "tools" in it than my 2007 1800N, but neither of them were even close to being sufficient. One notable item I suppose is that my 2005 came with the spanner wrench whereas my 2007 did not. Either way, I've turned them by hand and neither of the "kits" were good enough. :choppersm

·
Relocation Engineer
1,520 Posts
I guess us 1300 owners are expected to be the gearheads of the VTX crowd then? My toolkit came with several allen wrenches, a plug 'socket', 8-14mm wrenches, shock spanner, and screwdriver.
With carbs they figured you'd need the tools....:bleh: This has been a joke of the tired trucker network..Ill be here all night....:D

·
Pie liker/Snow Hater
9,911 Posts
The guy I bought mine from owned the bike 6 years and never knew that there was a tool kit and owners manual under the side cover in the tool box. (He didn't know where the dipstick was either though. :rolleyes:)

The shock adjusting tool has been helpful. Other than that, my tool kit was stuffed full of useless crap...and spiders when I got it. :icon_mrha

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Mine had a note that read:
ハンマーの脱出が本当であるという事実は隠された箱を、賢いライダー見る。
Who can say what it means.

·
team VTX cafe physician
14,421 Posts
let's see....a crappy wrench, crappy screwdriver....my dealer did give me a spanner wrench.....other than that..crap!

1 - 20 of 23 Posts