Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey guy just ordered some progressive front springs and the allballs neck bearing.. hoping to get them in this coming weekend.. when i do the front springs im going to replace the fork oil. i was just wondering what is the best fork oil to use.. I will not be using the honda fork oil. I have used it in my dirk bike and it sucks.. So do you think i should use 5 or 10 weight oil.. Thanks for any help... Trent

·
Let's Get Ready To Rumble
5,240 Posts
And, the fork oil is good for, I think 24k (it's in the owner's or shop manual). You may not need to change it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks guys. ya i know the fork oil is supposed to last a long time but im just wanting to get rid of the honda crap thats in them...

·
Registered
801 Posts
jagarcia said:
And, the fork oil is good for, I think 24k (it's in the owner's or shop manual). You may not need to change it....
Thanks guys. ya i know the fork oil is supposed to last a long time but im just wanting to get rid of the honda crap thats in them...
Don't count on any fork oil to last for more than 2 years or 24k miles.

In fact, the OEM fork oil changes that I have completed with as little as 8k on a 2 year old bike has been extremely nasty. A good 10w synthetic fork oil (AmsOil, Red Line, Bel-Ray, etc... ) is your best insurance for restoring the best possible life and handling characteristics from your forks.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
one other quick question.. Is there a way to get all the fork oil out with pulling the fork and dumping it..

·
Registered
82 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Charlie, I just read the sticky on replacing the bearings.. it looks like i will need to buy some speacial tools to do the replacement.. can it been done with normal tools or do i need the custom ones... If i need the special tools i think ill just do the fork spring and habe a dealer do the bearing..

·
Registered
18,990 Posts
I did mine with just normal tools, some long punches to get the races out and then cut the bearing off the stem with a die grinder (don't have to cut all the way through to get it to break in half) I then used a pipe to put the new one on.

I work as a machinist so it is just normal duties for me.

If you have it done find an small local shop not a dealer

1 - 10 of 10 Posts