Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

8821 - 8833 of 8833 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
20191226_191102_HDR.jpg 20191226_191112_HDR.jpg

Been an interesting fall/winter in the KC area. Many mods done as weather permit.
1. Cobra slip-ons pipes (Dennis Kirk)
2. Kuryakyn Velociptartor 9442 air cleaner (Dennis Kirk)
3. Pair mod / Scar mod completed
Carburetor set up for all to use as necessary
A/F mixture screw 2 turns out, 58 pilot jet, Stock needle with 2 shims, 202 main jet, 40 MPG
Been riding as weather permits. Above 30 degrees and no wet / snow roads
Ride ON.....

·
~ High-Finesse Hooligan ~
11,564 Posts
I rode it. (TWSS) ...picture this... Sunday, January 12th... New England in Winter... but... 67°F and sunny! I took the Yankee Siege out for a 90-mile romp in the NH twisties! Ahyar... it was glorious... go figure... global warming... :doh:

P.S. ...but today, 6 days later... a blizzard inbound! Oh, well... :doh:

·
FREEBIRD
7,441 Posts
Good to see you again, Mark! I've been mostly AWOL for the last year myself due to work commitments, but stop by once in awhile to post a song or make an occasional inappropriate comment. Same ol' same old. Cheers.

·
Too short for my weight
5,328 Posts
I’ve been able to ride her some lately! Still working on my garage, trying to sell my other house, and get my new house more set up. All that plus a super busy work schedule makes it hard to anything other than just admire the X when I can!

·
Registered
620 Posts
I lost a transfercase seal in my jeep and ended up riding to work. 21 degrees and 20 miles but it did feel good to blow the cobwebs out of the bike. She does not like the cold after the fp3 install. Seemed to stutter until I got it fully up to temp. My oil temp gauge only read 180 too, this last summer it was 220 on a hot day

·
11,564 Posts
Good to see you again, Mark! I've been mostly AWOL for the last year myself due to work commitments, but stop by once in awhile to post a song or make an occasional inappropriate comment. Same ol' same old. Cheers.
Hi Jon! Thanks! I hope that all is well in your world. How's the Grampa-ing going? ...man, it sure is slow around here... many days since 'last post' in all of the threads... keeping it MC related, this Spring I am going to get that chrome swingarm cover that you graciously gifted me installed on the Yankee Siege. Thanks again for that! Will follow with pics...

Wishing peace and health to you and all our VTX brethren,

Mark

P.S. If you'd like to stay in touch, PM me, then reply here with instructions on how do I get to the damn PM feature (LOL!) ...we should plan a ride together this Summer, meeting in the Adirondacks, perhaps! (is that the halfway point between us?)

·
11,564 Posts
I’ve been able to ride her some lately! Still working on my garage, trying to sell my other house, and get my new house more set up. All that plus a super busy work schedule makes it hard to anything other than just admire the X when I can!
TWHS! :glee:

·
Registered
422 Posts
While I have the tank off, I finally decided to go ahead and address the annoying high beam LED brightness. I removed the cluster, took the face plate off, cut a piece of a cotton ball, pushed it behind the high beam lens and replaced everything

Here it is off:

Here it is on:

Notice how much dimmer it is than the other LEDs that are on. I didn't want to mess with any of the other LEDs because they are important to me, but the high beam riding at night on country roads is annoying.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Supposed to be in the low 60's today after being cold for the last month. Hoping to get some butt in seat time in today.

Side note though. The water company is replacing all the main water lines in the street and has the street tore up. Right now there's a 4 ft. gravel filled strip just outside the driveway. Should make things more interesting

·
Registered
2 Posts
EUREKA --- Finally solved my sputtering and backfiring problem when letting off the gas at speeds above 45 mph. Been going on for a few years now. No more feathering the throttle to keep it from happening or pulling in the clutch. The culprit was a bad Air Cutoff Valve, located on the upper right side of the carb. The vacuum line from the intake manifold attaches to it. When you let off the gas at speed, the valve opens slightly and feeds a small amount of gas thru the carb. This makes sure you don't get a lean backfire on decel.
Seems to be running more smoothly, no gurgling even, just smooth sounding exhaust. Now I can more easily use the front brake again.
I used Uncle Google to reference any/all info on this valve. The posted symtoms of a bad valve looked real familiar, so I ordered one from Partzilla. There seems to be cheaper ones available, but it appeared they were for 2008/2009 VTX1300's. I spent the extra money and got an OEM version just to be safe.
I'll be celebrating this for a few days ...... 🇺🇲🙂🇨🇦

sumdatx,
Glad I found your post. I just purchased a 2007 VTX 1300S with 15k. I notice on decel I get the same backfiring as you, I'm ready to order the Air Cutoff Valve. How hard is it to change this valve out?

·
Registered
2 Posts
EUREKA --- Finally solved my sputtering and backfiring problem when letting off the gas at speeds above 45 mph. Been going on for a few years now. No more feathering the throttle to keep it from happening or pulling in the clutch. The culprit was a bad Air Cutoff Valve, located on the upper right side of the carb. The vacuum line from the intake manifold attaches to it. When you let off the gas at speed, the valve opens slightly and feeds a small amount of gas thru the carb. This makes sure you don't get a lean backfire on decel.
Seems to be running more smoothly, no gurgling even, just smooth sounding exhaust. Now I can more easily use the front brake again.
I used Uncle Google to reference any/all info on this valve. The posted symtoms of a bad valve looked real familiar, so I ordered one from Partzilla. There seems to be cheaper ones available, but it appeared they were for 2008/2009 VTX1300's. I spent the extra money and got an OEM version just to be safe.
I'll be celebrating this for a few days ...... 🇺🇲🙂🇨🇦

sumdatx,
Glad I found your post. I just purchased a 2007 VTX 1300S with 15k. I notice on decel I get the same backfiring as you, I'm ready to order the Air Cutoff Valve. How hard is it to change this valve out?

8821 - 8833 of 8833 Posts