Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

8901 - 8920 of 8976 Posts

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts
Upgraded to a VTXDaymaker B3 headlight with adjustable mount. Twice as bright as the Daymaker I originally bought, but only $20 more :rolleyes:

Reactions: Grolli and MR VTX

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Found out what was making the loud clunk while riding. These are my MB 10.5" shocks. Any recommendations on replacements? I always thought the MBs were a bit to stiff

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
Found out what was making the loud clunk while riding. These are my MB 10.5" shocks. Any recommendations on replacements? I always thought the MBs were a bit to stiff
That sucks. How long did you have them? I've been happy with the Progressive 444s that I put on my bike, but I don't think they'll warranty any of their shocks if you put 11" or shorter on your VTX. They warrantied one set of 11" 412 shocks that blew out on me, but they made me go to 11.5". And when those blew out on me, I got them replaced under warranty again and promptly sold the new set. The 444s are lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
Ahem....shocks 'blowing out on you' just may be a sign. No offense, bro. Just sayin'.😁

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
Ahem....shocks 'blowing out on you' just may be a sign. No offense, bro. Just sayin'.😁
That's the crazy thing...I ride solo 99.9999999991% of the time, and back then I was maybe 160 lbs. I'm 175 now and the bike is much heavier with all the add-ons, and these 444s (and even the stock 1800 shocks I had on before the 444s) have performed well. This was how the bike was setup with the 11" 412s.

DSCN2513.JPG

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
Lighter, bur still purdy.:love:

Reactions: sumdatx and MR VTX

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
Lighter, bur still purdy.:love:
This was how she sat when we cut the stock 1300 shocks down a couple of inches. I loved the look, but when I first scraped the actual peg bracket on just a moderate turn, I took them off and sold 'em. Didn't want to create a pogo stick effect and throw myself off the bike.
DSCN2049.JPG

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
That sucks. How long did you have them? I've been happy with the Progressive 444s that I put on my bike, but I don't think they'll warranty any of their shocks if you put 11" or shorter on your VTX. They warrantied one set of 11" 412 shocks that blew out on me, but they made me go to 11.5". And when those blew out on me, I got them replaced under warranty again and promptly sold the new set. The 444s are lifetime warranty to the original purchaser.
Gosh, maybe 6 years ago? I ride solo about 99.98% of the time too. No bags, seat, sissy bar or anything. The 10.5s, while looking good, took away a lot of rideability because I dragged floorboards and pipes with a minor amount of lean. Looking to replace with an 11 or 11.5

Reactions: sumdatx and MR VTX

·
Registered
17,116 Posts

View attachment 241203
Last fall I hit some rough construction areas in Ohio while on a group ride. Didn't know it at the time but one of my MB 12.25" broke off at the same point, just under the adjustment nut. Thinner stock there. I'd had them for a number of years, so didn't expect any warranty would be available. I'm getting it welded just to put it back on the road and get it inspected, but I'm currently on a waiting list for new Progressive 444's. Sorry your luck is just as bad as mine. FWIW, I have the same problem with my Husqvarna mower in my 'rough' country yard. The little outrigger wheels for the mower deck are just like the shocks, a 'shoulder' type bolt that has thinner stock where the nut threads onto the stem. Definite weak point where with enough stress, they bend or snap.

Reactions: sumdatx and tworley

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
I am curious of the travel lengths that the swing arm allows. My guess is that 10.5" are too short and the shock is overextending when riding. After so long it just finally gave in.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
733 Posts
I am curious of the travel lengths that the swing arm allows. My guess is that 10.5" are too short and the shock is overextending when riding. After so long it just finally gave in.
I personally don't think the problem is over extending, it would be over compressing. Over extending a shock should just result in the swing arm not dropping (it would be unloaded weight), a shock that is too short and bottoms out with loaded weight does real damage. This would be why people with 10.5" shocks complain of harsh rides.

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts
I got some Progressive 430's a couple of years ago and really like them and the adjustability. My rake kit said to use 10.5 shocks but I went with 11.5 and added an extra inch to the fork spacers to keep the geometry happy. Had 412's but they are advertised as an "entry level" Progressive shock -- meaning you get what you pay for. I had the HD version and they we really stiff/rough riding. Gained some wisdom from MR VTX :love: and got a better Progressive, one step down from the 444's. Been really happy with them and the stock bushings are still centered.
(y)

Reactions: PaXman11 and MR VTX

·
Registered
Deplorable #2
6,739 Posts
:cool: Got me in a little more than 70 (s)miles today and confirmed: that my console rattle is fixed again (#7 orings (y)), that the wind in my face was most pleasing, that the counter-clockwise turn on the right grip is equally pleasing, that, just for the sake of safety, more miles are needed :p

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Well the MBs are out of stock. I keep coming across progressives so decided to go with the entry level 412s in a 11.5". Also got me thinking about the front forks. I havent serviced those in probably 8 years, so I thought I should try progressives there too and got the 11-1126 springs.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
undressed her... then went for 70 mile ride with the wife. Was a beautiful 70* day yesterday...
Does your wife really enjoy riding naked with you? How do you avoid getting her arrested?

8901 - 8920 of 8976 Posts