Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

8921 - 8940 of 8976 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
New progressive fork springs and shocks installed! The rears are much more comfortable than the previous shocks. Firm, but soaks up a lot of the larger bumps pretty quickly. The front, with new fork oil and springs, is also firm. A lot less nose dive when breaking. Everything feels very controlled and smooth. Its too wet to ride anywhere fun so just around the neighborhood a few times.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
733 Posts
New progressive fork springs and shocks installed! The rears are much more comfortable than the previous shocks. Firm, but soaks up a lot of the larger bumps pretty quickly. The front, with new fork oil and springs, is also firm. A lot less nose dive when breaking. Everything feels very controlled and smooth. Its too wet to ride anywhere fun so just around the neighborhood a few times.
Nice. From the look you didn't install the progressive poly bushings. You may want to order them right away and hold onto them for when those rubber bushings go bad. Many people say they get less than 1k miles on the rubber bushings.

I installed the poly bushings before I even installed the shocks. I needed my 20 ton press to get them in, it is a TIGHT fit.

·
Super Moderator
10,753 Posts
Which "poly bushings" are you talking about? If you are talking about the really hard white plastic bushings, then I agree. They are very tight on the stock shocks/posts and need put in with a hammer, a press, or a bolt and washer. They are tight because the stock eyelet is tapered but the hard white bushings are not. I do not know how well the hard white tapered bushings would fit in aftermarket shock eyelets. It would depend if these eyelets are tapered or not. If you are talking about the green bushings that come stock on the VTX1800, they are softer, go in much easier, but still last a long time. I agree that the black rubber bushings that are stock on the VTX1300 are junk and do not last long at all.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Nice. From the look you didn't install the progressive poly bushings. You may want to order them right away and hold onto them for when those rubber bushings go bad. Many people say they get less than 1k miles on the rubber bushings.

I installed the poly bushings before I even installed the shocks. I needed my 20 ton press to get them in, it is a TIGHT fit.
Are they the 5025-10 bushings Ive seen on the forum? Looks like they have to come direct from progressive as I cannot find them online anywhere.

I have access to a press--no issue there at all.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Which "poly bushings" are you talking about? If you are talking about the really hard white plastic bushings, then I agree. They are very tight on the stock shocks/posts and need put in with a hammer, a press, or a bolt and washer. They are tight because the stock eyelet is tapered but the hard white bushings are not. I do not know how well the hard white tapered bushings would fit in aftermarket shock eyelets. It would depend if these eyelets are tapered or not. If you are talking about the green bushings that come stock on the VTX1800, they are softer, go in much easier, but still last a long time. I agree that the black rubber bushings that are stock on the VTX1300 are junk and do not last long at all.
Progressive sells poly bushing replacements for their shocks. These are very hard to press in. It took 2 weeks for mine to come in pre-pandemic, Ive heard there is a long wait now.

Progressive’s rubber bushings for some reason do not last on our bikes.

·
Registered
733 Posts
Are they the 5025-10 bushings Ive seen on the forum? Looks like they have to come direct from progressive as I cannot find them online anywhere.

I don’t know the part number, but yes, they have to be ordered direct from Progressive. It might be the number you quoted. If you call them, there finally is a kit (when I got mine there was no part number), you can order them.

Reactions: tworley

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Had the pleasure of meeting @SPARKY5151 and @henkvdb on Saturday for breakfast and a couple hundred miles. Had blast guys! Also have the ultimate seat sitting in an online cart now, just need to hit purchase;)

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
Had the pleasure of meeting @SPARKY5151 and @henkvdb on Saturday for breakfast and a couple hundred miles. Had blast guys! Also have the ultimate seat sitting in an online cart now, just need to hit purchase;)
Let me remote into your computer and I'LL push the button for you.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Henk let me sit on his for a moment, it was like sitting in a lazy boy. Extremely comfortable!

·
Premium Member
1,365 Posts
Henk let me sit on his for a moment, it was like sitting in a lazy boy. Extremely comfortable!
I have stated a few times over the past 11 years that my VTX is the most comfortable seat in the house.
Getting it in the living room though is a b.tch, so I ride as often as I can.

It was a pleasure meeting you.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Well I pulled the trigger on the Ultimate! After sitting on one, not sure how I've gone for 34k miles on the stocker

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Tyler, we are just going to have to test your Butt out on our next Rocky Mountain ride!!!! No more coddling you with a 200 mile ride in the Rockies!!!! Next ride ( after you get your Ultimate seat on) I'm thinking 400 miles (just a good stretch of the legs)!!!!!:devilish:

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts

Progressive sells poly bushing replacements for their shocks. These are very hard to press in. It took 2 weeks for mine to come in pre-pandemic, Ive heard there is a long wait now.

Progressive’s rubber bushings for some reason do not last on our bikes.

For future reference, Progressive updated the part number as it is now sold as a kit (4 bushings). Part # for the kit is 30-5012. Total cost is $22+/- with shipping.

Reactions: JPT

·
Registered
733 Posts
For future reference, Progressive updated the part number as it is now sold as a kit (4 bushings). Part # for the kit is 30-5012. Total cost is $22+/- with shipping.
Good news. What is the wait time now for them? Pre-Pandemic I waited 2 weeks for them.

Because of the wait, anytime I see someone saying they are ordering/installing Progressives, I jump on and suggest they order the bushings BEFORE they do the install. This way they don't have to have downtime when the rubber goes bad. I installed mine before the initial install, I have no doubt these poly bushings will outlast the bike.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Good news. What is the wait time now for them? Pre-Pandemic I waited 2 weeks for them.
3-4 weeks is what the salesman told me

8921 - 8940 of 8976 Posts