Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

8941 - 8960 of 8976 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
I bought mine from parts_giant on Ebay (Springs/forks/oil). I saved a few bucks in the long run since he offered free shipping.

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Well in addition to the ultimate, I placed an order for new viking bags. I was incredibly hesitant as I have had vikings before and the quality was crap. They lasted a few months before the lids became wavy, and within a couple years the material was flaking apart. At the time though I was keeping the bike outdoors in a covered stall. Can't say whether that contributed to their wear or not. This was maybe 10 years ago if not more. They are cheap enough to try again though. In the last 5 years or so Ive just been stuffing water bottles, hats, and whatever else I need to carry in my jacket which I am getting awfully tired of. I also bought another fairing from the trailerstore. It was discounted quite a bit because of a blemish, so because of that and ebay bucks, I was able to save quite a bit (less than $250). I had a Woody's fairing in the past and really enjoyed having it, but couldnt get over the clamp-on mounting system. Plan is to prep and paint this one myself. Its the 6x9 version which I would rather have 4 of the 5.25" speakers, but I can live with it due to the price.

Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
11 Posts
Searched. Didnt see this. If I missed it, link me and Ill delete this one.

Post up what you did to your bike today, with pics preferably.

Today I didnt do anything... yet.
I did receive Glens clutch pull relief bracket today. :mosh:
Very fast shipping. No hassles.

I figured I should do this before I actually get to ride it so Im not cussing it when the weather breaks.

Let us know how you like the clutch pull relief. I've been looking at em as well. Hands are pretty stiff in the morning and I wouldn't mind that "50% reduction."

·
Super Moderator
5,541 Posts
Let us know how you like the clutch pull relief. I've been looking at em as well. Hands are pretty stiff in the morning and I wouldn't mind that "50% reduction."
Sorry Whiskey_SOL, but the last time 3 fifty was on the Cafe was March 1 2015.
However, I have installed Glens Clutch Pull Relief on both of my VTX's and have been VERY happy with both. I do not put my bike in neutral at a signal light unless I have at least 3 cars behind me and usually not even then (you never know when a driver is texting on the phone while driving, or eating, or talking on the phone, or.....well you get the idea!) I leave it in gear so that when I see one coming I can get out of the way or to keep from being crushed between the car ahead of me and the IDIOT behind me, which is why I also don't pull up directly behind the car ahead of me but rather try to be behind but off to the side of that car as that will completely spoil your day or the rest of your life, If you have a rest of your life)!!!!!

·
Registered
11 Posts
Sorry Whiskey_SOL, but the last time 3 fifty was on the Cafe was March 1 2015.
However, I have installed Glens Clutch Pull Relief on both of my VTX's and have been VERY happy with both. I do not put my bike in neutral at a signal light unless I have at least 3 cars behind me and usually not even then (you never know when a driver is texting on the phone while driving, or eating, or talking on the phone, or.....well you get the idea!) I leave it in gear so that when I see one coming I can get out of the way or to keep from being crushed between the car ahead of me and the IDIOT behind me, which is why I also don't pull up directly behind the car ahead of me but rather try to be behind but off to the side of that car as that will completely spoil your day or the rest of your life, If you have a rest of your life)!!!!!
Sounds like you've got some good defensive riding practices. Good deal. Thanks for the review on the pull reliefs!

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
For future reference, Progressive updated the part number as it is now sold as a kit (4 bushings). Part # for the kit is 30-5012. Total cost is $22+/- with shipping.
I called and order two sets of the poly bushings this morning for my 444s. P/N is 30-5011 @ $22.90 per kit w/ free shipping...and they're in stock. I'll have them on hand for when the inevitable happens with their stock rubber bushings.

·
Registered
2007 1300C
618 Posts
I called and order two sets of the poly bushings this morning for my 444s. P/N is 30-5011 @ $22.90 per kit w/ free shipping...and they're in stock
I just ordered a set of poly bushings for Progressive 430's, same part # [email protected] $22.95 and in stock, "ships in a few days"

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
My new ultimate seat, bags, and fairing showed up today 😀

·
FREEBIRD
7,993 Posts
Take lots of pics, Tworley. We loves our build threads!

Reactions: henkvdb and tworley

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts
Congrats on the Ultimate seat and other upgrades Tyler!!! Guessing that Henk and I will have a hard time keeping up with you in the future! ;)
You guys got me hooked on the idea of comfort again!

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
703 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
2006 VTX 1300 C 6,456 miles.

Oil change and filter. Lucas 2050 high flo filter

Airbox disconnected pair hose. Pen cap and q-tip restrictor mod. Put a bolt in the airbox hole.

Disconnected the crank case vent tube and left it to lay until my 2oz mason jar arrives so I can make a catch can. Plugged airbox hole with a bolt.

Kn filter.

Cleaned carb.

Removed waste hose from airbox and left open.

Was way lean af adjusted to 2 3/4 turns.

LED all the way around. Hl,tl, ts, rl.

Added ground effect LEDs under the rear fender. Rear fender well blue light when running, red on brake. 12 LED strips. Why? I like to be seen at night.

Memphis shades sport touring shield added.

Commander iii crusers front and rear. I love them.

Cobra cruise floor boards support suicide pegs cut down from 5 inches to 1 1/2.

Drive shaft oil change.

Set shock preloads up to five as I have a pillion.

Changed plugs 4 copper ngk

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
2006 VTX 1300 C 6,456 miles.

Oil change and filter. Lucas 2050 high flo filter

Airbox disconnected pair hose. Pen cap and q-tip restrictor mod. Put a bolt in the airbox hole.

Disconnected the crank case vent tube and left it to lay until my 2oz mason jar arrives so I can make a catch can. Plugged airbox hole with a bolt.

Kn filter.

Cleaned carb.

Removed waste hose from airbox and left open.

Was way lean af adjusted to 2 3/4 turns.

LED all the way around. Hl,tl, ts, rl.

Added ground effect LEDs under the rear fender. Rear fender well blue light when running, red on brake. 12 LED strips. Why? I like to be seen at night.

Memphis shades sport touring shield added.

Commander iii crusers front and rear. I love them.

Cobra cruise floor boards support suicide pegs cut down from 5 inches to 1 1/2.

Drive shaft oil change.

Set shock preloads up to five as I have a pillion.

·
Super Moderator
10,751 Posts
I've heard of a lot of VTX mods but not these two. What are "Pen cap" and "q-tip restrictor" mods?

·
Registered
17 Posts
I've heard of a lot of VTX mods but not these two. What are "Pen cap" and "q-tip restrictor" mods?
It's an old school mod, you take the cap of a bic pen and use it as the filter housing for some cotton ball or a q-tip and that restricts the airflow to the pair valve enough to stop popping but prevents water condensation. You just stick an ink pen cap in the end of the hose after you've packed the cap with enough cotton to make it restricted when you blow in the cap. Use the 3 slotted pen cap not the single hole cap.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
It's an old school mod, you take the cap of a bic pen and use it as the filter housing for some cotton ball or a q-tip and that restricts the airflow to the pair valve enough to stop popping but prevents water condensation. You just stick an ink pen cap in the end of the hose after you've packed the cap with enough cotton to make it restricted when you blow in the cap. Use the 3 slotted pen cap not the single hole cap.
Just get this kit and remove the PAIR system altogether...makes future valve adjustments easier with all that crap out, too.

·
There Can Only Be One
2,731 Posts
The Progressive bushings arrived today...must be pretty awesome, because I had to sign for their delivery. I haven't taken them out of the package, but they feel pretty sturdy when I squeeze them. They're black in color but feel like poly bushings...I'm used to seeing the green poly bushings that Honda sells for the stock shocks.

8941 - 8960 of 8976 Posts