Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
9001 - 9013 of 9013 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
735 Posts
Figured I would revive the thread.

A while back I bought ultimate rain covers for my new ultimate seat. Used them a few times, worked great. Went to power wash the house and have an outlet with broken covers, thought to myself "my ultimate cover will cover that nicely". Which it did. Pulled the cover off afterwards and set it on top of my truck tool box to dry and completely forgot about it. Next day I drove off to work🤦‍♂️

• Sad
Reactions: MR VTX

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
1,092 Posts
Garage Door Opener Mod:

After seeing someone else post this mod on one of the Facebook VTX Groups, I decided it was time to go ahead and do the mod.

I have a smart garage door opener, and decided not to pay the extra for the optional apple home kit module. I have been using Apple Shortcuts to get around this (there is a shortcut command someone posted, if you are into shortcuts, but Chamberlain keeps changing the key text to prevent people from using this feature without paying). I got tired of it not working on my bike, so I decided it was time to do this.

I don't have pictures of exactly what I did to the opener, but what I did was took a short wire (jumper) and jumped across the 4 soldered prongs on the back of the opener until I found the 2 that need to be jumped to trigger the button. The opener light will start flashing. You can do this before you program the opener (so you wont open the door). It will be one prong from each side.

From there I soldered wires and melded the case to pass the wires through. To test, I touched the two wires together to verify that it did in fact trigger the button "press." I covered the wires and the entire area with 2 part JB Weld. Hopefully this should prevent the solder from cracking, and separating.

I drilled a hole in the side cover mounted the button, and connected the wire to the button. I put the opener in a ziplock sandwich bag and put some tape around the bag to prevent moisture from entering the bag. I taped the bag to the cover. I covered the back of the button with RTV to also prevent moisture from getting through the button (I may remove this, as maybe the button is designed allow moisture to drip out the back). The good thing about RTV is, it will peal off if needed.

I decided to place the button towards the back of the cover, on the clutch side (I have a Captain Itch crotch cover blocking the front on both sides). Having it over the Honda logo means I should be able to feel for it with gloves on. Sorry I don't have a picture of this on the bike, my bike is in the back corner of the garage for the winter (I have a newborn baby, so I put the bike away knowing I wouldn't have time to rearrange the garage after he arrived).

Opener I used (ordered from Amazon):
Chamberlain KLIK5U-BK2 Clicker 2-Button Garage Door Opener Remote with Visor Clip, Black - - Amazon.com

Buttons I used (ordered from Amazon):
Amazon.com: FICBOX 8pcs 16mm/0.63inch Metal Momentary Push Button Switch for Car RV Truck Boat (Silver, 16mm) : Automotive

Reactions: tworley

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
Since you did not provide bike power to this unit, remember in your mounting methods that you will have to access it once in a while to change the battery in the opener unit.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Since you did not provide bike power to this unit, remember in your mounting methods that you will have to access it once in a while to change the battery in the opener unit.
Yup. This is why I taped the opener in place the ziplock bag. I can remove the tape and open the opener just like normal. Once I'm done changing the battery, I just have to replace the ziplock bag and tape it back in place.

I was deciding if I was going to hard wire the opener's power to the battery, but remember that I haven't changed the opener battery in one of my cars for 5+ years.

·
Super Moderator
12,011 Posts
There is also a voltage difference from bike to garage door opener. The former is 12 v while the latter is usually powered by a 9v battery. You would likely have to get an electronic device to convert the bike's 12 v to a suitable 9 v power source.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
There is also a voltage difference from bike to garage door opener. The former is 12 v while the latter is usually powered by a 9v battery. You would likely have to get an electronic device to convert the bike's 12 v to a suitable 9 v power source.
Yeah, this opener use 3V volt batteries. There are many of those lower voltage adapters that could be wired in line to power the opener. But, for as long as these batteries last, I see no need to go down that rabbit hole.

I'm sure this would work if one wanted to hard wire it to either a direct battery, or a switched source on the bike:
Amazon.com: 12V to 3V 3A Step-Down Waterproof Miniature DC-DC Converter Power Supply Module by Envistia Mall : Electronics

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
735 Posts
Garage Door Opener Mod:

After seeing someone else post this mod on one of the Facebook VTX Groups, I decided it was time to go ahead and do the mod.

I have a smart garage door opener, and decided not to pay the extra for the optional apple home kit module. I have been using Apple Shortcuts to get around this (there is a shortcut command someone posted, if you are into shortcuts, but Chamberlain keeps changing the key text to prevent people from using this feature without paying). I got tired of it not working on my bike, so I decided it was time to do this.

I don't have pictures of exactly what I did to the opener, but what I did was took a short wire (jumper) and jumped across the 4 soldered prongs on the back of the opener until I found the 2 that need to be jumped to trigger the button. The opener light will start flashing. You can do this before you program the opener (so you wont open the door). It will be one prong from each side.

From there I soldered wires and melded the case to pass the wires through. To test, I touched the two wires together to verify that it did in fact trigger the button "press." I covered the wires and the entire area with 2 part JB Weld. Hopefully this should prevent the solder from cracking, and separating.

I drilled a hole in the side cover mounted the button, and connected the wire to the button. I put the opener in a ziplock sandwich bag and put some tape around the bag to prevent moisture from entering the bag. I taped the bag to the cover. I covered the back of the button with RTV to also prevent moisture from getting through the button (I may remove this, as maybe the button is designed allow moisture to drip out the back). The good thing about RTV is, it will peal off if needed.

I decided to place the button towards the back of the cover, on the clutch side (I have a Captain Itch crotch cover blocking the front on both sides). Having it over the Honda logo means I should be able to feel for it with gloves on. Sorry I don't have a picture of this on the bike, my bike is in the back corner of the garage for the winter (I have a newborn baby, so I put the bike away knowing I wouldn't have time to rearrange the garage after he arrived).

Opener I used (ordered from Amazon):
Chamberlain KLIK5U-BK2 Clicker 2-Button Garage Door Opener Remote with Visor Clip, Black - - Amazon.com

Buttons I used (ordered from Amazon):
Amazon.com: FICBOX 8pcs 16mm/0.63inch Metal Momentary Push Button Switch for Car RV Truck Boat (Silver, 16mm) : Automotive

Going to have to do the same thing once I get the new garage

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
735 Posts
Took the bike off the tender and out of the corner of the garage. Put in fresh oil and wanted to go for a ride when I realized the tank bolt had snapped (not the first time). The other half was still in the welded nut on the backbone. Was able to get it removed with a bit of finaggling and chased the hole with a tap. New bolt on hand and tank back to being secure(y)

·
There Can Only Be One
2,763 Posts
Took the bike off the tender and out of the corner of the garage. Put in fresh oil and wanted to go for a ride when I realized the tank bolt had snapped (not the first time). The other half was still in the welded nut on the backbone. Was able to get it removed with a bit of finaggling and chased the hole with a tap. New bolt on hand and tank back to being secure(y)
That's strange about the tank bolt snapping. I still have my original one on my '04...was the tank seated properly, or are you just man-handling that bolt? ;)

·
Registered
2006 Honda VTX 1300R
735 Posts
That's strange about the tank bolt snapping. I still have my original one on my '04...was the tank seated properly, or are you just man-handling that bolt? ;)
The original stock one had snapped in half a number of years ago. Not sure how. The tank is in the correct position and on the rubber isolaters up front. Yesterday I noticed my metric replacement bolt was only a metric 8.8. The new one is a metric 10.9. My only guess is that the vibrations over time wore it down in addition to the rubber isolater not being positioned correctly along the backbone/tank? Speculation though.

Reactions: MR VTX
9001 - 9013 of 9013 Posts