Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but I can't find a straight forward answer to "what octane fuel" should I put in my 1800F? It's a stock bike so you'd think the answer would be easy to find. Even Honda can't agree so I'm reaching out to you guys.

OK, before I get flamed..yes I should have looked closer at the bzillion posts on octane. Looks like I'll be saving myself a few cents and take the lower octane path. Seems to be the consensus.

·
El Chupacabra Lives!
5,687 Posts
Welcome to the Cafe from Denver. :) (search the forums for octane, 87, premium etc - this is a dead pony )

·
9,160 Posts
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times . . . .

Boy is that an understatement!!! :mosh:

Short answer . . . use 87 octane, period. Anything higher in octane is a waste of money.

Here are a few links on the subject:

http://vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=35737&highlight=fuel

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=31081&highlight=octane

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=30947&highlight=octane

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=28102&highlight=octane

·
Apprentice Master Member
48 Posts
I'm sure it's been asked a thousand times but I can't find a straight forward answer to "what octane fuel" should I put in my 1800F? It's a stock bike so you'd think the answer would be easy to find. Even Honda can't agree so I'm reaching out to you guys.

OK, before I get flamed..yes I should have looked closer at the bzillion posts on octane. Looks like I'll be saving myself a few cents and take the lower octane path. Seems to be the consensus.
I usually gas-up at a Sunoco station, 87, with 10% alcohol.

·
Awesome Member
962 Posts
Welcome, and the answer is 87!

Our bikes were built around 87 octane, it's meant to use 87 octane, and considering it's the cheapest out there why bother trying to use something NOT recommended? :)

·
Registered
368 Posts

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
You need to try and stay away for the 10% stuff. That's why I burn the higher octane fuel about every 4th tank. It does burn hotter and cleans up the values some. It gives no power boost to me but it seems to smooth the engine up when used like I do it. I have couple of friend that I run with that has 1800s and they swear that the higher octane makes there bikes run better/faster/more power ! I also use Sea foam in everything I own at least once a year.
One more thing the book says use whatever octane, anit that the same book that tells you what RPM to change gears in !:eek: If you use the higher and it feels right , use it. On this topic ita be up to you but no you don't have to use the higher octane.
:choppersmride on !!!!!

·
Registered
368 Posts
It does burn hotter and cleans up the values some.
:choppersmride on !!!!!
No, thats not correct. It doesnt burn any hotter, nor does it have any additional valve cleaning capabilities, actually it will be somewhat cooler be cause it is more resistant to burning to begin with, The higher octane number is stating its resistance to detonation only, it has nothing to do with its amount of BTU's available. With a low compression engine like the X has there is no gain, and actually a loss by using higher octane gas. It has been shown many many times to actually contribute to plug fouling.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
I use 89 or 90 octane which ever the station has. I tend to stay away from anything lower. Unless its the wife leased pontiac G6, Then I put the lowest octane in it. My reason for using 89 or 90 is. I use to own an 1989 GMC truck with 305ci and 5 speed trans and if I put anything less than 89 in it, The damn thing would spark knock like hell. So from that point on I've always used 89 or 90 octane in all my vehicles and plan on doing so no matter what anybody's theory is on why I can use 87 octane.

·
Registered
310 Posts
heres my take.95% of the time my bike runs fine. what you think your putting in the tank and whats running through the hose could be two different things. moisture , mixture, human error, different statiions,etc, etc,. some days the bike just seems to run better than others. i run both 87 & 89 octane and she seems to love it ! and i have no problem sleeping at night. ( although i have experienced what monte spoke of earlier about the truck thing ). and then theres the fuel injection sensors compensating for ignition timing and fuel flow thingy, but i ain't goin there. ride on brothers !!!

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
My reason for using 89 or 90 is. I use to own an 1989 GMC truck with 305ci and 5 speed trans and if I put anything less than 89 in it, The damn thing would spark knock like hell. So from that point on I've always used 89 or 90 octane in all my vehicles and plan on doing so no matter what anybody's theory is on why I can use 87 octane.
Hmm, lets see, what are the similarities between an '89 GMC truck and a VTX????

:hmm2:
Same vehicle? :nope:

Same Motor? :nope:

Same anything??? :hmm2: :hmm2:

I GOT IT! They both have a 5 speed transmission!!!!

THAT'S the MISSING LINK!!!!

It's not the vehicle, motor design or anything else that determines what octane you need, it's dependent upon how many gears ya have!!!!! :icon_mrha

GOOD LORD!!!!!

Using "X" octane gas in all your vehicles now because you once had an old '89 truck that used to spark knock has got to be the most ridiculous reason I have ever read in the HUNDREDS of octane threads that are out there!!!

That one 'takes the cake'! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Hmm, lets see, what are the similarities between an '89 GMC truck and a VTX????

Same vehicle? :nope:

Same Motor? :nope:

Same anything??? :hmm2: :hmm2:

I GOT IT! They both have a 5 speed transmission!!!!

THAT'S the MISSING LINK!!!!

It's not the vehicle, motor design or anything else that determines what octane you need, it's dependent upon how many gears ya have!!!!! :icon_mrha

GOOD LORD!!!!!

Using "X" octane gas in all your vehicles now because you once had an old '89 truck that used to spark knock has got to be the most ridiculous reason I have ever read in the HUNDREDS of octane threads that are out there!!!

That one 'takes the cake'! :rolleyes:
All I meant by my post is I feel 87 octane is a low quality gas and i prefer not to use it. For your information I know the damn differences between a 89 gmc truck and vtx. But if you feel the need to ridicule someone and their opinion then more power to you Scotrod.

·
Seasoned Member
876 Posts
All I meant by my post is I feel 87 octane is a low quality gas and i prefer not to use it. For your information I know the damn differences between a 89 gmc truck and vtx. But if you feel the need to ridicule someone and their opinion then more power to you Scotrod.
I have used AMOCO "white gas" for years till AMOCO merged with BP,
I will continue to do so, don't care that some self appointed gearhead thinks I'm a dolt for doing so, my bike,my money ...........
For him to reply to you in such a way was rather uncalled for.Brrn told by some folks not to use the mobil oil for air cooled engines, again my money,my bike.........
Coopi

·
Registered
3,548 Posts
Okay, so you were slapped with the 'stupid stick' and I got your attention!

GOOD!!! Because if you can understand what I'm about to say, you can STOP pizzen thousands of dollars away just because you think Octane = Quality.

Octane has absolutely NOTHING to do with QUALITY! :nope:

There is nothing super about 'SUPER", and nothing premium about "PREMIUM!" :nope: Those are cleverly chosen words by marketing companies, and that's all.

Octane is nothing more than a fuels resistance to ignition. PERIOD!!! No more, no less! A motor by design only needs a certain octane, and anything more is a complete waste of money, may even foul your plugs and/or get you LESS mpg! (remember, resistance to ignition!!!!!!!)

Using a good quality fuel of the correct octane is ALL you ever need! Using a poor quality fuel of higher octane is a double no-no! :nono:

You will find FAR greater differences in QUALITY by choosing the right vendor than you ever will by bopping in just anywhere and suckin up a bunch of "Premium".

I had a good friend who ran a Mobil station back in the day. He did Curb sales, but the majority of his business was bulk delivery. He moved a LOT of fuel. Here's what I learned:

All gas comes out of the 'same tank' at the refinery, 87 is 87, 91 is 91, and 93 is 93. The only 'difference' between brands is the additives. Most 'modern' fuel has virtually the same additives, regardless of octane.

SO where does quality come into play?

Several ways,,,

1. Invariably, 'mistakes' are made when loading / mixing fuel. Do they throw a whole tanker's worth of fuel away because the mix wasn't dead on?? :nope:It's sold at a discount to whomever.

2. My friend also told me that gas over 90 days old was sold at a discount. (I find it hard to believe that 'old' gas exists, but who knows how long it sits, or, how many stops it makes between the refinery and your tank, especially if you are out in the middle of nowhere!)

2. During my travels, I've actually seen a vendor (in GA!?!?) who advertises 'additive free' fuel and sells at a discount. Is it 'bad' fuel, just because it's additive free? probably not, but any cleansing agents so prominent in modern fuels will be absent, and we've all seen those commercials for injector cleaner, right?!?!???

3. Old ABU down at the GROC. AND BEER corner store in smalltown USA always seems to have good prices on fuel,,, Well, ABU actually makes his living on the GROC. and BEER, and gets the cheapest swill he can buy for gas,,,,, (See #1 and #2 above).

4. ABU doesn't alway sell A LOT of fuel, so a tanker may last him for several weeks or more,,, especially PREMIUM. How old it is by the time it hits your tank is UNKNOWN. (See #2 above)

Regarding quality, Where you get your gas is far, far, FAR more important than OCTANE!!

Where to go?:hmm2:

Usually, a 'Brand Name' station that sells a LOT of fuel.

Large stations next to busy Interstates or main throughways are usually a good choice.

(The Mini-Mart in smalltown is NOT gonna be known for top notch, fresh, quality gas. :nope:)

Save yourself some $$$$$. Quit paying more for what you don't need and for the 'quality' you ain't getting!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts