Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
180 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
....is the main fuel hose under the tank? (1800 F spec 3) I know we don't have a shut off valve on ours, I ran the tank low and need to drain the rest of the gas to do some work. I was just going to clamp the hose somehow, and maybe attach another to drain into a gas can.. but any advice would be cool.

Thanks..

John:16:

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
When I recently pulled my tank, I too ran the fuel level low, w/o the light coming on, but nearly so. I disconnected the main hose, and return hose, with some rags atop and over the left side of engine, to catch any that spilled out. I was able to remove the tank without more than a couple ounces running out. The return hose was a real pain with that stupid squeeze type OEM clamp, so I ordered and cut the return hose and installed a quick-disconnect from Aerostich. This was a poly type, and cost less than 20 bucks. Going to save me some swearing next time. Once off, the tank sat level on the floor without losing any more fuel. Be sure to cover it so it doesn't get accidently scratched.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
Luckily, I haven't disposed of the invoice/ packing list. Cat. # 3572 1/4" gas line quick disconnect.

·
Registered
15,835 Posts
I was -only- speaking of, and describing, the return hose. I was also only following advice shown on the instructional threads regarding tank removal. They suggested at the time of removal, to run the tank as much out of fuel as poss., and if you WANT, as an option, to put in the disconnects or shut-offs, for the next time. Thanks for the info and pix about the JEGS, that looks like a very good, solid setup. I've bought JEGS stuff before, when hotrodding the cage.

·
Pursuing Perfection
5,859 Posts
I was -only- speaking of, and describing, the return hose.
regarding tank removal. - to run the tank as much out of fuel as poss.,
Right - The problem is any fuel spilled is high risk.
Dropping the tank - ETC. These options make it so any service can happen at will - vs only when low on fuel.

Tactic for 100% safety is for those viewing that also need to remove fuel tank - not just between ones posting.
Fuel fires are so severe - A novel of tragedy is behind the views from casual handling of it.
One might think they have control - then running for their lives & fuel is free to run.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts