Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone explain the difference between exposed and covered forks to me? I own a 2003 VTX 1800C and I've bought a Memphis Shades windshield and the trigger lock kit to go with it but I must've overlooked the part that specified between exposed and covered forks on the kits. And now I'm afraid to open the package if I have the wrong kit because it clearly says in big letters "OPEN KITS MAY NOT BE RETURNED FOR CREDIT". Wouldn't be that big a deal if the thing didn't cost $125. I'd really appreciate any advice offered and pictures showing the difference would definitely be a lot of help!

--Fido

·
Riding On The Dark Side
118 Posts
Exposed forks are dont have a chrome fork cover over them such as mine.

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Can anyone explain the difference between exposed and covered forks to me? I own a 2003 VTX 1800C and I've bought a Memphis Shades windshield and the trigger lock kit to go with it but I must've overlooked the part that specified between exposed and covered forks on the kits. And now I'm afraid to open the package if I have the wrong kit because it clearly says in big letters "OPEN KITS MAY NOT BE RETURNED FOR CREDIT". Wouldn't be that big a deal if the thing didn't cost $125. I'd really appreciate any advice offered and pictures showing the difference would definitely be a lot of help!

--Fido
i did the some thing, can you take the mounting kit back and
have them recheck to make sure you have the right one

·
Riding On The Dark Side
118 Posts
Your forks are exposed...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your help!

Hey thanks for the help guys. Luckily, I purchased the correct kit the first time.

-Fido

·
Master Chromer
4,226 Posts
Yup, spec1, exposed. Hey man, cover up..........YOU'RE EXPOSED!!!

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
The c,f has exposed forks
The r,n,s has covered forks.
The only difference (maybe) is the triple trees. The covered fork triple trees is not as refined-not smoothed (spelling)
You need the exposed fork kit.

http://motorcycle-accessories.cruisercustomizing.com/search?model=VTX+1800+C&username=&w=memphis+shades+windshield+triger+lock+kit&model_id=10&search2=Go

I checked each one and everyone fits the c model

Since you don't have any upper fork covers, there shouldn't be a problem
dd

edited:
you will need the exposed mount for the windshield you have, there are several listed.
Thanks for catching that.

·
Registered
3,393 Posts
sounds like a lesson to be learned at a strip club

glad you got it figured out

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
The c,f has exposed forks
The r,n,s has covered forks.
The only difference (maybe) is the triple trees. The covered fork triple trees is not as refined-not smoothed (spelling)
You need the exposed fork kit.

http://motorcycle-accessories.cruisercustomizing.com/search?model=VTX+1800+C&username=&w=memphis+shades+windshield+triger+lock+kit&model_id=10&search2=Go

I checked each one and everyone fits the c model

Since you don't have any upper fork covers, there shouldn't be a problem
dd

edited:
you will need the exposed mount for the windshield you have, there are several listed.
Thanks for catching that.
Reto spec 1 are not covered or someone stole mine.
Steelhog I don't see covers on yours, they would be fat tubes unless they're Kuryakyn covers and they should still use exposed fork covers beacause they're skinny like stock exposed forks. If the exposed mounting kit won't work on the Kury's I'm going to have troubles because I just ordered the Kury covers for mine.

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Personally I do not like the fork covers. I prefer to polish or chrome.
I did not realize the spec 1 retro's do not have the covers.
But then I have a c model.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts