Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I picked up the "Down Under Bracket" to relocate my caliper to the underside of the swingarm, so it's hidden by the pipes. When the caliper is relocated here, the bleeder screw is practically facing down, however, there is a gold-colored screw/plug that practically faces up. HDLParts calls it "SCREW, SOCKET", but that's not very intuitive to me. I pulled it out (metric Allen wrench), pressed the brake a few times, and some brake fluid came out.

What's the purpose of this plug? I would have thought it's an optional bleeder screw location (so I could move my bleeder screw here and then move the plug to the hole that the bleeder screw came out of), but the two are different sizes. Can anyone enlighten me? If it's an optional bleeder screw location, why would it be a different size? And where could I get another bleeder screw and plug in the opposite sizes?

I would like to be able to have my bleeder screw in this location, for better bleed results... Or would it not really matter if the bleeder screw is in the stock hole, but is more or less facing downward (5:00 position)? I've just been told that the bleeder screw should be pointing upward for best results, in getting all the bubbles out. Then again, my brake line has to go straight down to connect to the caliper, so who knows if I'll ever be able to bleed the thing fully while it's mounted to the bike... And there is not enough slack in the brake line to do it another way, as far as I can tell (even though the instructions say to bleed it while it's off the bike, it doesn't seem possible to do that and then get it back on -- at least with my setup).

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
Um, looking at the pic, that looks like where your brake line connects. Look at page 15-5 and 15-8 of the repair manual. Thats about the best that I can do. There will be somebody on here soon that is smarter than I am.

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Um, looking at the pic, that looks like where your brake line connects. Look at page 15-5 and 15-8 of the repair manual. Thats about the best that I can do. There will be somebody on here soon that is smarter than I am.
The brake line connects to a port on the top -- this serves no purpose. A friend guesses that this is made to connect the brake line for another bike -- so the caliper can be used on more than just the one model. Seems like a good explanation. The bolt for the brake line will not thread into this hole, and neither will the bleeder screw. Oh well.

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sounds like a perfectly good explanation to me. Good luck with the relocation.
Perfectly good... But unfortunate for me... I think I will still try to use this port for the brake line, but that will be for another time. Right now I would just like to get things back together so I can ride. If I could just figure out what other bike this is intended for, I could get the proper brake line bolt for that hole. Maybe the dealer will be able to help on Monday (doubt it).

·
Registered
1,608 Posts
When you relocate the brake, won't you have to run new lines? If so, I would think that whoever is going to make the new ones would be able to get an end that fits the other hole (assuming that it is indeed a hole for another brake line)

·
GreatLakesRoadRiders.org
1,410 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
When you relocate the brake, won't you have to run new lines? If so, I would think that whoever is going to make the new ones would be able to get an end that fits the other hole (assuming that it is indeed a hole for another brake line)
Nope, stock lines are still fine. I'm just putting it back together as-is. Bled the brake today and will put things back on the bike this week.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts