Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What's going on vtxcafe. I just traded a couple guns the other day for a 2002 vtx1800 with 17000 miles on it. Never actually rode a bike before but I'm familiar with standards and clutches so I'm picking up pretty quick. Been tooting around the block for a couple days. Can't get into a safety class till the end of next month though so staying close to the house. Can anyone tell me what model it is I thought r but it's got spoke wheels so maybe S ? But I love this heavy bastard. Been watching some YouTube videos and am getting a lot better at u turns and whatnot lol. Oh and I put it back to being a solo seat. Anyway, names Cosmo. And Thank y'all and nice to meet ya. :)
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Fuel tank Vehicle

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Welcome. Thanks for sharing the picture. The model is the S.

Reactions: Cosmo

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
What's going on vtxcafe. I just traded a couple guns the other day for a 2002 vtx1800 with 17000 miles on it. Never actually rode a bike before but I'm familiar with standards and clutches so I'm picking up pretty quick. Been tooting around the block for a couple days. Can't get into a safety class till the end of next month though so staying close to the house. Can anyone tell me what model it is I thought r but it's got spoke wheels so maybe S ? But I love this heavy bastard. Been watching some YouTube videos and am getting a lot better at u turns and whatnot lol. Oh and I put it back to being a solo seat. Anyway, names Cosmo. And Thank y'all and nice to meet ya. :) View attachment 244879
It 'appears' to be an S. Look at the VIN #'s. No mistaking that. 17K is a real garage queen- do you have ANY service history of the bike? Think about going over ALL the maintenance before doing a lot of riding. Bikes that sit for long periods of time will ALL draw moisture into the different systems, clutch, brakes, rear final drive, fork oil. These should be replaced every few years as a matter of safety and peace of mind. Coolant change also. Rubber shock bushings take a lot of strain, but are cheap and easy to replace. One of the biggest problems the early 02-03 models have been developing the past few years, is failing diaphragms in the fuel pressure regulators (FPR) located under the left side of the tank halfway between the jugs. ALL of them. It's a matter of aging, not high miles or abuses. Erratic performance, hard starting, surging at low speeds, mileage cut in half. Check your dipstick, look for over-fill or a strong smell of fuel on the dipstick oil. If so, DO NOT RIDE IT! Bad for the main bearings. Drain the oil, change the filter, fill it with oil to be used as a cleansing agent. Run it around the block to get the oil temp up, re-drain, and change oil again using a good JASO rated oil compatible with wet clutches. 2 changes, 1 filter sufficient. 4.0 qts. incl. the filter. 2 drain plugs. Don't over-tighten. Replace crush washers on the plugs if needed. The 1800's are also fully dependent on a 100% charged battery. If it's a number of years old, you need to charge it, and take it to an auto parts store that will do a free 100amp load test, not the 20amp MC test. That will show if it has any weak cells which will let the 1800 sit somewhere. Just checking voltage is not good enough. Things we can help you decide in the future, making it 'your' special bike with any mods, changes, aftermarket goodies. I recommend replacing all fuses with the EZ-ID or SmartGlo kind that kight up when they pop. I also recommend Ride-On internal tire gel for balancing/ sealing of punctures. Speaking of tires, on the sidewalls is a 4 digit code that tells the week, yr. of mfg. Tires more than 4-5 years old are losing their gripping ability, getting hard from the elements, no longer safe, and beginning micro-dry rot. Regardless of how much tread they have left! Tires are harder to source, prices have gone up accordingly, and we have to settle for what we can find, not necessarily what we want. Folks here, and on the VTXOA, will answer any of your questions and help you transition into your new addiction. Welcome from central Pa. high atop the Alleghenies. Your location could enable us to help you in the future.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Yea I'm pretty mechanically savy but I'll definitely look over everything a little harder, definitely planning on changing all the fluids. He had papers on an oil change about 40 miles ago but I can tell I need to change the break and clutch fluid. Might as well change the coolant also and the tires are still good. And I'll definitely look for a new fpr but so far it's ran great. But I haven't even got over 50 mph and live in an extremely small town so I'm gonna wait to get my license to really open it up. Idk I say that.... Lol but thank you very much for all the info.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Yea I'm pretty mechanically savy but I'll definitely look over everything a little harder, definitely planning on changing all the fluids. He had papers on an oil change about 40 miles ago but I can tell I need to change the break and clutch fluid. Might as well change the coolant also and the tires are still good. And I'll definitely look for a new fpr but so far it's ran great. But I haven't even got over 50 mph and live in an extremely small town so I'm gonna wait to get my license to really open it up. Idk I say that.... Lol but thank you very much for all the info.
New FPR will set you back a modest $40-$45 or so. The front bolt is an easy change, but you'll need patience ans some special 1/4 drive sockets, swivels, wobble extension, or 10mm offset wrench for the back. And remember to remove the little black disc protecting the o ring. What is the 4 digits on the tires?

·
Super Moderator
12,333 Posts
Popping will be reduced by not eliminated by doing the Pair mod (removal of PAIR system and installation of dimpled blockoff plates). This Pair mod will also greatly reduce the ugly gurgling sound on decel.

Another way to reduce popping is to verify that your pipes are properly secured into the crush gaskets where the pipes insert into the heads. You can search this forum for lots of info on this topic.

·
Registered
04 Honda VTX 1300s
21 Posts
What's going on vtxcafe. I just traded a couple guns the other day for a 2002 vtx1800 with 17000 miles on it. Never actually rode a bike before but I'm familiar with standards and clutches so I'm picking up pretty quick. Been tooting around the block for a couple days. Can't get into a safety class till the end of next month though so staying close to the house. Can anyone tell me what model it is I thought r but it's got spoke wheels so maybe S ? But I love this heavy bastard. Been watching some YouTube videos and am getting a lot better at u turns and whatnot lol. Oh and I put it back to being a solo seat. Anyway, names Cosmo. And Thank y'all and nice to meet ya. :) View attachment 244879
Welcome to the Group! Florida Rider Here! Ive got the Same color in the 1300s.

<Edit by moderator: A non picture file (possibly a .pdf) was attached where a picture was intended. I deleted this attachment to make sure there was not hacking possibility. nickwuthnow850, please repost with a picture not a .pdf. Thanks.>

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Man I fucken LOVE this bike, and it usually looks purple depending on the light. Witch happens to be my favorite color. Whoop whoop
Some referred to the color as 'blurple'. Glad you're happy. We'd still like your location unless you're paranoid about that.

·
Registered
18,417 Posts
Oh I'm in east Texas around Mt pleasant
Thanks. Maybe someone near you can now invite you to meet, ride, or have a mini tech session or help in person with any issues you might have, and / or direct you to someone who can. I have an old HS classmate who lives on a farm/ ranch outside Nacadoches. Haven't seen him in a few years. He was running an auto parts store for his FIL.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts