Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So here's an interesting question - but first, some background.
I work for a really great boss, straightforward, honest and he is genuinely concerned for my welfare. I've worked here for 8 years and love what I do, I started riding 3 years ago and he (my boss) was never really thrilled about it - not for himself but for my safety. He hasn't really said much more than a comment or two about it since then, but this morning he walks into my office and says "How much?" How much would he have to pay me to not ride. Name my price. He's concerned, it's unsafe, it's dangerous. You could be the best motorcycle rider in the world but when the a$$hole next to you does something stupid you've got no protection. Go ride in the mountains or trails or something - not in the city!
Yes, I agree, it's less safe than a car is - I'm not stupid or blind to that but I told him no price. Nuthin'. I love riding and I know the dangers and I accept those dangers.
Needless to say he ain't thrilled, and I appreciate that, I honestly do, so here's the question.
What would it take for you to give up your ride?

·
Registered
60 Posts
Company car, with them.card and all maintenance paid, than I would ride only outside city. And use my savings to buy a can am spyder RT

·
Regular Person
1,260 Posts
There is no dollar amount that would get me to stop. Riding is my therapy, and it is priceless.

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
$500,000 then as soon as the check cleared I'd quit and buy another bike.

·
Registered
274 Posts
5 million then I could retire and ride whenever i like

·
aka "Buddha Bill"
1,188 Posts
Thats like asking how much for my balls. If you're willin' to sell em', you didn't need em' anyway.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Ain't happenin'! :nope:

Motorcycling saved my life and helps keep me sane and out of jail.

I recognize the dangers. I make my choices conciously. I feel free when I ride. It's yet another of a dozen reason I also don't choose to wear a helmet.

I ride free whenever I can. I actually, literally live to ride and ride to live...it's not a bumper sticker for me. I have no open range or horse. I guess this is as close as I can get to moving with the wind and following the sun like the mythical horsemen of old. At least that sorta how it feels when I'm on my bike.

The difference just riding home from work versus riding in my van is...well, it doesn't compare at all!

I could never give it up voluntarily.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Glad to see it's not just me - you just can't put a price on that feeling and freedom you get from the bike.

·
SPyKERMods.com Owner
1,960 Posts
If your choice to ride is able to be purchased, what's next?

M:"Would you sleep with me for $1M?"
W:"Sure!"
M:"How about a dollar?"
W:"No way, what do you think I am?"
M:"We've already determined that, now we're negotiating the price."

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
If I was to have to make up a number, it would absolutely be in the 6 figure range.. but Im not really all that interested in stopping riding.

-Gonz

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
i gave up riding once for about 10 years and me being from the city (NY and NJ) i understand what he means, maybe. i was more scared of the potholes, and the ridges/dredge going up the Deegan and Cross Bronx.

but today, even though i'm broke, busted and disgusted, i wouldn't give up riding. however, i can go back to my old ways, start bs, say i'll take a certain amount and it would have to be considerable as mentioned before, let check clear, buy another bike, perhaps even a wing/vaquero/elec glide and take off to find the sky. i would then write to him/her and tell them how sorry i was for i did!!! :icon_bs:

of course, the old me wouldn't write...:choppersm :mosh: :D

butt, basically, since it's not me being bought, NO, I CAN'T!!! THERE'S NO MONEY IN THE WORLD! ps, anyone that concerned about me, send me a pm... ;-D

·
Registered
447 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
i gave up riding once for about 10 years and me being from the city (NY and NJ) i understand what he means, maybe. i was more scared of the potholes, and the ridges/dredge going up the Deegan and Cross Bronx.

but today, even though i'm broke, busted and disgusted, i wouldn't give up riding. however, i can go back to my old ways, start bs, say i'll take a certain amount and it would have to be considerable as mentioned before, let check clear, buy another bike, perhaps even a wing/vaquero/elec glide and take off to find the sky. i would then write to him/her and tell them how sorry i was for i did!!! :icon_bs:

of course, the old me wouldn't write...:choppersm :mosh: :D

butt, basically, since it's not me being bought, NO, I CAN'T!!! THERE'S NO MONEY IN THE WORLD! ps, anyone that concerned about me, send me a pm... ;-D
I hear ya loud & clear. I battle the Belt Pkwy every morning and have had my fair share of pucker moments - the potholes being the least of them!

·
Adrenaline Junkie
134 Posts
All in all, still nice to have such a nice boss who is obviously concerned for your safety. THOSE are hard to find these days.

Michael

·
Registered
2,622 Posts
I hear ya loud & clear. I battle the Belt Pkwy every morning and have had my fair share of pucker moments - the potholes being the least of them!
did you and bryanova (bryan) ever square away with the bolts, or at least are meeting for some java??? take care, do you guys need another worker there, :D :choppersm

·
Registered
912 Posts
Must be nice to have a boss that looks out for your welfare.That said yes riding is dangerious,but so is crossing the street,flying ,train,the list goes on ,so to sum it up i would thank my boss for his concern but would not give up LIVING.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts