Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I decided to powder coat my wheels...
I was a little concerned about removing my wheel bearings and installing new ones, so I decided to have a mechanic do it since he would be removing my tires anyway.

The guy pounded out the bearings (without using any heat - torch/heat gun). While he was hammering out the bearings, he hammered out a chunk of the wheel - the lip that the bearing sits against on the front wheel. Now there is a chunk missing from the inner most part of the bearing seat lip. And a crack in the inner part of that ring that bulges outward.
This means in order for the new bearing to seat, that crack will have to be pounded inward a little in order for the bearing to sit flush in there.

I am pretty p!ssed because the whole reason I took it somewhere rather than doing it myself is so that I wouldn't have to worry about this crap. :banghead:

They guy told me that this happens now and then and is not an issue. I told him I would take the wheel to a local mechanic and get some opinions.

I brought this 'professional' a wheel in good shape, and got back a wheel with chunks pounded out of it.

What would you do? Does it sound like the wheel is alright? Not quite sure how to handle this...

PICS:

The 2 arrows here, the one obviously points to the missing chunk. The other points to a raised up crack that would have to be pounded down in order for the bearing to seat. (The lower arrow)

Looking through from the other side of the rim:

·
Registered
120 Posts
If it was me, I'd make him buy you a new wheel. Thats why you pay those guys the big bucks, for professional work.:mad:

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That's kind of how I feel. I brought him a new condition wheel, and he returned a damaged wheel to me...
The only thing is, since he's convinced it's a non-issue, I anticipate he's gonna just shrug and tell me to get lost if I tell him that this constitutes a replaced wheel.

I'm off to a harley dealer (Only local place open on mondays) to get their opinion.
I'll post pics when I get home.

·
Premium Member
9,717 Posts
A new wheel is on him. Heat is not always needed but caution is ALWAYs needed when removing bearings. Can you post a pic of the damage?

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
If he says it's not a problem, then tell him..."Good, because YOU now own this wheel, so put it on YOUR bike and ride it down the highway"...And yeah, he owes you a new wheel....

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
I agree! If it's not such an issue then he shouldn't have a problem with either replacing the wheel or you not paying for the work he did to damage your wheel.

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
The only thing is, since he's convinced it's a non-issue, I anticipate he's gonna just shrug and tell me to get lost if I tell him that this constitutes a replaced wheel.
Hopefully he'll step up and do whats right but who knows.
He's not convinced it's not an issue because he knows he screwed up and is trying to play it off hoping you'll buy into his "no big deal" story.

I agree with everyone else, he owes you a new wheel and I wouldn't take no for an answer... Worst case if gets ugly just mention that if he doesn't want to take care of it the easy way that you'll have to contact your lawyer (even if you don't have one) and take him to small claims court. And if he turns into an ass then make a call to the BBB just because.

·
Premium Member
10,101 Posts
Go back and demand your new wheel. Wishing you well.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
All shops that service cars or bikes have to eat a repair once in a while and make good on damages caused to a customer's part or vehicle. That's one reason why they charge 80-110 per hour labor rate. Go after him nice at first, then hard if you have to.
As a previous poster said, do take pictures, close ups!
good luck, Bry :choppersm

·
Registered
706 Posts
Bearings are a press fit not a pound fit. Take the wheel to your local dealer and get an assement from their service depatrment for when you take this clown to small claims.

·
Registered
198 Posts
Ask him to sign a letter, then ask him how much money he's got to lose when your family sues him for damages after a catastrophic wheel failure. It's _cracked_ unless it's properly repaired, that sucker could spread.

A new wheel is _cheap_ compared to the alternative, and you shouldn't have to eat his screw-up.

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Hope you haven't paid him yet.

PM Stump, or perhaps he will see your post and respond.

Looks like with that kind of damage it would let water in past the seal and would wash the greese out of the bearings.

If it was mine I would just have to tell him that is totally unaceptable, and please arrange to aquire a new rim in the condition of mine when I brought to him.

If you have, or can borrow a small micro voice recorder you can put into your pocket turn it on to document his response it may help your case if his response is defensive and refuses to comply with your request.

Don't waste your time with the BBB, that is like asking ACORN to help you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hope you haven't paid him yet.

PM Stump, or perhaps he will see your post and respond.

Looks like with that kind of damage it would let water in past the seal and would wash the greese out of the bearings.

If it was mine I would just have to tell him that is totally unaceptable, and please arrange to aquire a new rim in the condition of mine when I brought to him.

If you have, or can borrow a small micro voice recorder you can put into your pocket turn it on to document his response it may help your case if his response is defensive and refuses to comply with your request.

Don't waste your time with the BBB, that is like asking ACORN to help you.
Careful with the recorder, criminals have more rights than you. Depending on state law, it could land you in court for violating wire taping laws. Check your state law first. Yes, make the mechanic “Man-Up” and replace it.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ok, I took the wheel to a harley shop (The only bike shop open on monday) and they agreed that yeah, it is Probably fine. But they agreed that if they had accidentally done this they'd be buying a new wheel.
The honda dealer is open today, So I'm gonna get their advice on it too. Then go tell the guy I want a wheel in the same condition as the one I brought him.

Thanks for the comments. I don't think I'm going to use a voice recorder. These days, that would end up with some judge making ME pay HIM. Gotta love our justice system.

I'll let you know how this turns out...

·
Registered
1,346 Posts
a new wheel for sure! There would not even been any question!

·
Registered
4,892 Posts
No way I'd put that wheel back on my bike...obviously damaged and unsafe. Even if you cant get the guy to replace it you need to get a new wheel one way or the other.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts