Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

Wheel removal

3K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  davbib 
#1 ·
When you guys remove your wheels, do you leave the bike on the motorcycle lift or do you rest it on something else while you are out having the tires replaced? I'm assuming that given busy schedules, the bike would have to remain wheel-less for a few days.

There are after market stands, but maybe I can find a cheaper and creative solution here.

#3 ·
I wouldn't leave mine on the jack, but some people do.
You can make a stand out of some pipe and fittings from home depot, or even wood.

#4 ·
Check this out .... Scroll to the bottom of the page to see a really nice wooden stand.

http://www.vtxcafe.com/showthread.php?t=50801&highlight=2x4+motorcycle+stand&page=3

Pretty good stuff. Goheen's metal stand is also in this thread starting on the top of this page.

1st •> :choppersm2nd •> •> :choppersm3rd •> •> •>:choppersm4th •> •> •> •> :choppersm Gone •> •> •> •> •> _____ :choppersm​

1800 Mods / Accessories​
•• National Cycle Switchblade 2up Windshield, National Cycle Switchblade Chrome Lowers •• Clocks4bikes Clock-Thermometer •• Big Bike Parts/Chrome Rear Brake Reservoir Cover, Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Paladin Highway bar •• Cobra Luggage Rack, Sissy bar & Tribal Insert, Drive Shaft Cover •• Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen SaddleStow Sissy Bar Deluxe Bag •• Willie & Max Windshield bag •• VTXExhaust.com 12" Short •• VTX Master Cylinder covers •• WhyPush "X" Air Box, K&N Filter •• Cycle House side covers •• Biglry & Bones Fuel Management •• Coyote Gas Cap hinge •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips & Throttle Boss, SwingWing Foot Pegs, Dually offset pegs, License Plate Mount for VX 1800C, License Plate frame, Texas Inspection Sticker plate •• Hondaline Chrome Light Bar for 1800C •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator/eCaddy Accessory Mount •• Cardo Intercom Scala Q2 & G4 •• iPod •• Avon Cobra 200 -130 tires & Dyna Beads •• Tsukayu Strong bags/EasyBrackets •• Ultimate Bigboy driver seat with backrest and passenger seat •• Rivco Tachometer for 1800 C, Rivco 6" risers, Rivco Passenger boards/forward adaptors •• Big Bike Parts Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim •• Gremlin Bell •• Signal Minder ••* Xena XX14 Motorcycle Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Tweaked Scotrod Tool Bag mod, Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn, Progressive shocks….

750 Mods / Accessories​
Memphis Shades Fats 21” Gradient Black Windshield • Memphis Shades Quick Release Mounting Kit • Memphis Shades Lowers-Black / Mounting Kit •• Cobra Light Bar • Freeway Bar • Sissy bar • Plain Insert • Luggage Rack • Honda OEM Driver Foot Pegs VTX 1800C3 model •• Lazy Rider Small Barrel Bag •• Saddlemen Cruiser Large Tool Bag • Shock Cutaway Saddlebags •• Vance and Hines Cruzer Dual Exhaust •• WhyPush “Tribal Flame” Air Box / K&N Filter •• Kuryakyn ISO Grips • Kuryakyn Throttle Boss •• BrakeAway Throttle Control •• Avon Venom 180 - 90/90 tires •• Robert Doerr Custom Seat Mod with graphic •• ButtyBuddy auxillary seat •• Clocks4bikes Clock • Clocks4bikes Thermometer •• HealTech Digital Gear Indicator •• Phat Riser III for 750 Spirit •• Big Bike Parts Drive Shaft Cover • Chrome Drive Shaft Bolt Trim • Kisan Signal Minder • Kuryakyn Carburetor Jet Kit •• Evoline Wayer Helmet •• Cardo Intercom Scala G4 Powerset-Q2 Multiset • Gremlin Bell • ToolKit • Xena XX-6 Disc Lock Alarm -- next on list • Rivco Custom LED Lighted Turn Signal Motorcycle Mirrors, Stebel Horn….

:patriot:..........• Blessed to have been born in Texas •..........:patriot:
• Blessed to have been raised in Texas •
• Blessed to Live in Texas •
• If things continue as they are going - Hopefully I will be Blessed to see Texas as a Sovereign Nation again before I pass •
• Blessed I will be buried in Texas •

#7 ·
We own and operate a logging and lumber operation with several and various types of heavy equipment. First rule of operation on any hydraulic equipment is to ground your fork, bucket, blade or what have you. This is also true for jacks. Most lifts have a mechanical safety.

#10 ·
i hope to be releasing some more stands this week if you are interested. Shoot me and email and i can get you more when the details are worked out.

#11 ·
I left my bike on the stand when I removed the front tire. I wasn't real comfortable with the way the bike rocked a bit so I slid a cinder block up to the rear wheel and it had less than a half inch of rock so I just stopped worrying about it rocking after that. Think I'll try and build one of them wooden stands this winter though.

#12 ·
I leave mine on my jack all winter and have never had a problem. If your going to pull both wheels just be sure to balance it right, or just put some straps on it to hold it tight to the jack and you'll be fine. But... with that said the wooden set up is easy enough to make to, I just don't see the need for it myself.

#15 ·
Those wood stands sound like a good idea. I've had mine up on the jack for a week or so in the past - the jack instructions suggest that after lifting the bike, lower it to the mechanical "stop" and release the hydraulic pressure. Seems like a safe way to keep it up without worrying about a hydraulic leak. Make sure the bike's strapped to the jack, for good measure.

#18 ·
I decided not to wait for holiday shutdown to tackle this and got to it yesterday. Thanks to offroadmaniac for the instructions and eagleinthewind for pointing me to them. It made the job pretty easy.

PS.
I decided not to go with the 'don't mess with Texas sticker':bleh:

#19 ·
I decided not to wait for holiday shutdown to tackle this and got to it yesterday. Thanks to offroadmaniac for the instructions and eagleinthewind for pointing me to them. It made the job pretty easy.

PS.
I decided not to go with the 'don't mess with Texas sticker':bleh:
Yep once you lay it all out it is easy and you will love it. Two suggestions; 1. always have the jack on the opposite side from the kick stand so when letting the bike down with the jack the stand can be extended down to catch the bike if it starts to lean away from you and 2. I used a couple cut strips from a carpet sample and tacked them to the top of the stand where the bike rests, works great and no scratches from the wood or screws on your frame.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.