Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

41 - 47 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
554 Posts
yes, the hose of the side of the carb, sorry I wasn't more clear.
That sounds like an issue where either the float is stuck (calling for more fuel), or the petcock has an issue (it is allowing too much fuel to flow). But somehow you are getting too much fuel.

Reactions: sumdatx

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
That sounds like an issue where either the float is stuck (calling for more fuel), or the petcock has an issue (it is allowing too much fuel to flow). But somehow you are getting too much fuel.
Well, I guess I'll have to carefully check the float height as per the service manual when I take it apart again. The needle is new, from the ALL BALLS Racing kit last september. Not to say it might not be bad, but maybe the float height is incorrect.

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
554 Posts
Well, I guess I'll have to carefully check the float height as per the service manual when I take it apart again. The needle is new, from the ALL BALLS Racing kit last september. Not to say it might not be bad, but maybe the float height is incorrect.
I don't think the float is adjustable. It would have to be stuck in the lower than top position (not actually floating).

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I don't think the float is adjustable. It would have to be stuck in the lower than top position (not actually floating).

You're correct it isn't. But I figured I would measure it to rule out a height problem. I'm really at wits end here. :/

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
i just took a look at the AllBalls rebuild kit that you used. Never knew they were involved with our carbs. I compared this kit with OEM carb parts on Partzilla. Two things I noticed: the gaskets don't seem to match very good; the float needles are pretty different.
I don't know of anyone using this AllBalls carb kit, so I can't speak to any more specifics/comparisons. Just looks pretty generic. I know it is REALLY cheaper than OEM individual parts and a high quality kit from Factory Pro. Just sayin' :whistle:
If you still have the old float needle, give it a try just to see. The Partzilla float needle alone is only around $10 cheaper than the whole kit from AllBalls. I like the exact parts going back into my carb (except different jetting, needle, etc). Honda made some good parts that work together. Sometimes you just have to pony up for predictable results.
Working on carbs is fast becoming an "ancient art" and I have to say that fuel injection is really better. But my 06 VTX, carb'd and all, is here to stay.
Hang in there --- (y)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
i just took a look at the AllBalls rebuild kit that you used. Never knew they were involved with our carbs. I compared this kit with OEM carb parts on Partzilla. Two things I noticed: the gaskets don't seem to match very good; the float needles are pretty different.
I don't know of anyone using this AllBalls carb kit, so I can't speak to any more specifics/comparisons. Just looks pretty generic. I know it is REALLY cheaper than OEM individual parts and a high quality kit from Factory Pro. Just sayin' :whistle:
If you still have the old float needle, give it a try just to see. The Partzilla float needle alone is only around $10 cheaper than the whole kit from AllBalls. I like the exact parts going back into my carb (except different jetting, needle, etc). Honda made some good parts that work together. Sometimes you just have to pony up for predictable results.
Working on carbs is fast becoming an "ancient art" and I have to say that fuel injection is really better. But my 06 VTX, carb'd and all, is here to stay.
Hang in there --- (y)
My OEM float needle was leaking, like the carb was overflowing and I was getting fuel in the bottom of the OEM air cleaner and it was leaking out. But I suppose you're right, it very well might be the float. I was going to tear into the bike again this weekend, and check the needle diagram again for tears, hard spots, etc. Maybe I'll just look around for an OEM rebuild kit. I really didn't want to spend $100 on a full rebuild kit, when I can't figure out what's actually wrong.

·
Registered
6,521 Posts
I completely understand, having been down the road of needless expense over something that required a small adjustment ... :mad:
I was thinking that the allballs float needle seemed to attach differently to the float. If it were to hang lower, you wouldn't be getting the same level of fuel (less). Speeds up around 90+ would probably overwhelm a gravity feed system that was not filling up the bowl completely to begin with --- o_O just a thought. My brainstorming these days is 50% of normal on a good day......:oops:

41 - 47 of 47 Posts