Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

did you debadge your tank?

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 109 Posts

·
Registered
475 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you don't have a super custom paint job, some kind of graphics or is it you want someone to think it's not a Honda, bigger than it is? since to most people that don't know the quick tell things between a 1300 and a 1800 if they don't look close. What got me thinking was a post of why Honda stopped makeing the 1800's, The next post I read was Glen's gas cap hinge where I read this
There is and it can all you'd give up is covering the Honda Emblem but It's a Honda and I don't have a problem with someone knowing what I ride anyway.
For me I'm proud to ride my Honda and I'm not wanting to be mistaken, for something it's not

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you don't have a super custom paint job, some kind of graphics or is it you want someone to think it's not a Honda, bigger than it is? since to most people that don't know the quick tell things between a 1300 and a 1800 if they don't look close. What got me thinking was a post of why Honda stopped makeing the 1800's, The next post I read was Glen's gas cap hinge where I read this
For me I'm proud to ride my Honda and I'm not wanting to be mistaken, for something it's not
I debadged my Yamaha VStar too, I just like the clean smooth gas tank and side cover look. The engine side case covers say Honda. So I'm sure people still know it's a Honda. I don't run tires on my cars with the raised white letters on the outside, I like the black wall look. I think you're being overly sensitive about something....not sure what or why you'd think people who do this must hate that they have a Honda and want people to think it's a Harley? :coffee:

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Didn't but took off Honda from the side cover even though it is in the engine cover.
and, yes, I wax around it and it takes no longer than pulling my bags to wax behind them or get in around the headlight to wax my batwing there. Just like the look of the 'alien'.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Mine were off when I bought the bike and I bought new ones and put them on. When I had it painted they wouldn't have looked right so they're off again.

·
Registered
958 Posts
I took 'em off both of my 1300s. Can I vote twice?

Wren

PS- I took 'em off 'cause I had other plans for the tank.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Took 'em off the tank last summer for repaint and I airbrushed a tribal logo in their place..This time around I'm putting the badges back on after the paint cures on the tank...The sidecover logos are going in a different location when I get everything back from painter's...

So I guess I'm "rebadging"....lol...;)

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
Didn't have a badge on it when I bought it...no choice here. Like the cleaner look anyway.

·
Gator for life
4,116 Posts
Just another in the long list of personal choice items to make your ride your own. Me personally, I like the badges, and as long as they stay in good shape and on the bike, they will remain. I like the look of what has come to be known as "the alien" on the tank. There are many reasons why we do what we do to our rides, and some nobody else would or could understand. It is because it is "our" ride, and sometimes that's all that's needed. Just my 2 cents. No change required. lol

·
A Texan
4,365 Posts
Take all the badges off. Reason - for me the Honda plastic name just makes the bike look cheap in places.

The cleaning and waxing around them is a Pain...

Proud of the Honda's I have (3) but every badge and every reflector is off of them along with all of the warning stickers on the tank. Just personal preference here....

My 1800 tank did not have a badge from the factory.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
i like a clean look. besides that, if honda wants to pay me to advertise, i'll wear a badge on my ass. i drive a 3/4 ton dodge and i stripped it. same reason. its a vehicle. who cares who made it unless your advertising.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Even more than what I suspect are disingenuous (or is it self-deceiving?) reasons for removing the badges, I'm somewhat amazed that so many of you WAX your bikes!
Heck, I've only ever waxed my CAR once or twice in 50+ years, and wondered why I was doing it during the process!
Don't get me wrong -- I keep my VTX pretty clean (because, you know, I SIT ON IT!). I even use an old toothbrush for hard-to-reach areas. But, wax?!...
I just don't see the point -- as long as I'm going to wash the grime off anyway -- unless you're into showing the bike at meets, et al.
I can see already I'm an oddball on this forum -- but I wouldn't buy a bike in the first place I didn't like the look of stock. I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY CUSTOMIZING IT. The bike's a toy, not a necessity -- I want it to work well as cheaply as possible! I don't mind no stinkin' badges!..

·
WTF, Over!
8,353 Posts
I like the look of the tank badges (being a bit Norwegian, the Viking theme appeals to me). I am looking for some good Nose Art graphics that would look good there, and once I find some, I might just change and take them off...maybe.

·
Premium Member
3,915 Posts
Even more than what I suspect are disingenuous (or is it self-deceiving?) reasons for removing the badges, I'm somewhat amazed that so many of you WAX your bikes!
Heck, I've only ever waxed my CAR once or twice in 50+ years, and wondered why I was doing it during the process!
Don't get me wrong -- I keep my VTX pretty clean (because, you know, I SIT ON IT!). I even use an old toothbrush for hard-to-reach areas. But, wax?!...
I just don't see the point -- as long as I'm going to wash the grime off anyway -- unless you're into showing the bike at meets, et al.
I can see already I'm an oddball on this forum -- but I wouldn't buy a bike in the first place I didn't like the look of stock. I DON'T WANT TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY CUSTOMIZING IT. The bike's a toy, not a necessity -- I want it to work well as cheaply as possible! I don't mind no stinkin' badges!..
Don't mean to start a scrap here oldhack, but why would you suggest that these guys are lying to themselves or others? Seems like everyone's just expressing personal taste and/or preferences. In my case, the badge got in the way of the pinstripe design I wanted (unless, of course, I'm being self-deceiving or disingenuous). :stirpot:

·
Premium Member
5,305 Posts
I just had my tank repainted so they had to come off, and even though I like the look with them on I seem to be on the fence weather or not I'll put them back on.

1 - 20 of 109 Posts