Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
2004 vtx1300r, 22k miles. I'm no mechanic but can youtube pretty well and enjoy doing it. Bike had a hard time starting and would not start about half the time and backfire when it was running. My frustration lead to the bike sitting in the garage for the past 4 years. I recently changed the oil, coolant, spark plugs and fuel. Cleaned the jets and replaced the battery about a year ago that is on a battery tender. The bike tries, but will just not turn over. I received an auxiliary fuel tank to help with troubleshooting. When I insert the auxiliary hose into the fuel hose and place a golf tee in the air vacuum line, it starts right up. I do notice fire coming out of the exhaust pipes when idling. The petcock was leaking and I replaced it. The old petcock was deteriorating inside the tank. I just don't know where to go from here. Any help would be appreciated.

·
Fastest Red Club Member
2007 VTX 1300R, Indianapolis
7,940 Posts
If it works with fuel connected directly to line then your petcock isn't flowing fuel.

Check the vacuum lines they do go bad and crack then it can't pull vacuum to activate petcock.

·
Super Moderator
10,978 Posts
And the "guts" of old petcocks are well known to fail. You can buy a repair kit containing the soft rubber gaskets and seals.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts