Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok i have a 05 VTX 1300 R that i put C fenders on. I wanted to changed the exhaust too. I have the full exhaust to the C model including the lower frame bracket.

Before I go tear it down I wanted to ask the guys on here if its a straight bolt up? I figured it should be since I doubt the frame is any different from C to R but I wanted to ask.

Also wanted to ask if the headers are the same on both models. If so I only have to take off the mufflers and bracket which is easier.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Headers are different as well as the cans and bracket. You will have to change it all.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nope, the mounting brackets will not line up. Sorry.
Do you know why it wont work? Is the frame actually different??? Could it be simply modded?:banghead:

Headers are different as well as the cans and bracket. You will have to change it all.
If i have the full exhaust headers, mufflers, brackets could I make it work?

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
In the three years I've been here, no one has made this work yet, not sayin' it can't be done, it just hasn't been done.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
It may work if you swap everything. If you have everything you could try it, but I think you would have to get rid of the R floorboards also.

Do you not have all the R parts? The exhaust for 2005 didn't look much different between the R and C.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
It may work if you swap everything. If you have everything you could try it, but I think you would have to get rid of the R floorboards also.

Do you not have all the R parts? The exhaust for 2005 didn't look much different between the R and C.
I have the C peg / controls setup as well. I have all the stuff for both bikes but i like the C front fender better, not a fan of floor boards, and the C exhaust I have is in much better condition than the R. I have damn near every auxiliary piece for both.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Ok i have a 05 VTX 1300 R that i put C fenders on. I wanted to changed the exhaust too. I have the full exhaust to the C model including the lower frame bracket...
You're saying that you have the factory "Y" exhaust hanger bracket for a "C"??...If so it should be a direct bolt-on...I had a set of HK Big 3's off a 1300C bolted to my "R"..I just had to get the "C" exhaust hanger bracket...

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
You're saying that you have the factory "Y" exhaust hanger bracket for a "C"??...If so it should be a direct bolt-on...I had a set of HK Big 3's off a 1300C bolted to my "R"..I just had to get the "C" exhaust hanger bracket...

He's got the "lower" bracket, which I overlooked in his OP, so, maybe this will be a first? :hmm2:

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Yup it all bolted up. Only problem I have is that the cans won't tighten to the headers? I can't imagine why the cans and headers are both c model. It possible there just locked up but Damn am I missing something?

Also worked without changing the floorboards to pegs.

But I could really use some help with why the cans won't tighten. Need this resolved before work in the morning

·
Registered
7,114 Posts
Yup it all bolted up. Only problem I have is that the cans won't tighten to the headers? I can't imagine why the cans and headers are both c model. It possible there just locked up but Damn am I missing something?

Also worked without changing the floorboards to pegs.

But I could really use some help with why the cans won't tighten. Need this resolved before work in the morning
There are gaskets that should be in there. Are they missing?

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I honestly haven't even looked. But I don't think that's it unless its a weird basket. Let me explain... the headers are already bolted on and I put the cans on the headers and when I went to tighten the two lower bolts they wouldn't tighten. All 4 bolts seem locked. I don't see how a gasket would prevent me from tightening the cans against the header. I don't know if I'm doing it wrong or if I need to take the assembly off and spray some of the pc stuff on it.

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts
There are replacable "crush" gaskets at the headers, you will have to remove the old ones & install new ones for a proper fit.

·
Registered
7,114 Posts

·
Registered
875 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I saw the gasket and it was ok. I guess the bolts were just locked up because I sheared one right off and stripped the threads for the other... So until I can work out something it looks like im running straight pipes.

·
Registered
1 Posts
fenders

sorry but i just wanted to ask if you still have the r fenders and if so do you want to sell them and how much

Ok i have a 05 VTX 1300 R that i put C fenders on. I wanted to changed the exhaust too. I have the full exhaust to the C model including the lower frame bracket.

Before I go tear it down I wanted to ask the guys on here if its a straight bolt up? I figured it should be since I doubt the frame is any different from C to R but I wanted to ask.

Also wanted to ask if the headers are the same on both models. If so I only have to take off the mufflers and bracket which is easier.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts