Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using this gadget for a while now and have found it VERY useful in figuring what I need to wear under different riding conditions throughout a given day. Just put in a Temperature in the top box and the Wind Speed (i.e. Miles per hour) you expect to encounter. Then look at the NEW index reading (right side) to see what it will "feel" like and you can better dress appropriately.

I usually look up the Low AND the High Temps for the day (when commuting to work) and dress for the Low temp in layers to figure out what I need to wear at O-dark hundred hours and what I will most likely be wearing while riding home in the afternoon. This way I not only can figure out what I need to wear in the AM, but I also know how much, if any, "bag" room I may need to mount on my bike to stuff the things I don't need to wear in the afternoon.

I also found this tool useful in planning my rides this last fall in the mountains. Warm in the valleys...chilly in the hills...even colder in the shade/northside of the hills.

This doesn't in any way replace experience. You'll STILL need to actually KNOW (learn) what you want/need to wear at 50 degrees versus 54 degrees (BIG difference for me) while riding at 45mph in the hills Vs 70mph on the interstate.

After a while you'll be able to figure out when you go from denim to leather, open jacket to closed to liner to the over-stuffed Michelin Man!

Check it out... http://ridemyown.com/windchill.shtml

Anyway...hope this proves useful for you. [;)]

:choppersm

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
Great tip for the riders!!!! Our weather channel give the actual temps and the feels like temp on the weather channel. The wind chill can make a huge difference in the temps and what we wear. Comes in handy whenever you're going out into the weather.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
very cool little item Cage, thanks for posting. What i wish they could figure out is what the speed of riding does to the wind chill factor. For example, if the ride is usually at 65 mph,the current wind is 20mph , could you combine and put 85 in the wind box? :coffee:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
I got a Time/Temp/Volt Device. The temp part has two temp sensors. One in front of the fairing and one protected from the wind (and heat from the engine). This tells me the wind-chill as Im riding :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
I think windchill only relates to the feeling of cold on a living creature, like say a person who is out in the cold. For example, say the temperature over night is 38 degrees, but there is a wind of 30 mph....a person would feel the windchill of 26 degrees, but a puddle or pond would not freeze due to the temp being 38 degrees. I dont know if this explains it, but i tried. :D

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
I think windchill only relates to the feeling of cold on a living creature, like say a person who is out in the cold. For example, say the temperature over night is 38 degrees, but there is a wind of 30 mph....a person would feel the windchill of 26 degrees, but a puddle or pond would not freeze due to the temp being 38 degrees. I dont know if this explains it, but i tried. :D
True it only effects things with a pulse.

·
The Wanderer
6,665 Posts
That is a cool link thanks.
I generally try not to know the true temp so that I can lie to myself and say that its warmer than it is.

·
Really OLD FART Member
5,197 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I generally try not to know the true temp so that I can lie to myself and say that its warmer than it is.
I do something similar...no matter WHAT time I actually get to bed I simply don't look at the clock but (in my mind) I went to bed at 9PM. Thus, regardless of how many hours I get of sleep I think I've gotten at least 7-8 hours. It kept me going in the Army.

My wife says I'm nuts and tries to sabotage me by telling me out loud what time I'm actually crawling in bed. I just tell her I was messing with her clock so it's probably wrong... :bleh:

·
Dragon Slayer
8,515 Posts

You're absolutely right Bry, temperature is constant, that's why they call it windchill or feels like temp. Reguardless of windspeed or velocity of travelspeed, the temp remains the same.

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
You're absolutely right Bry, temperature is constant, that's why they call it windchill or feels like temp. Reguardless of windspeed or velocity of travelspeed, the temp remains the same.
Yep, Wandering Bear had a way to put it, he said windchill only relates to something that has a pulse :D

·
Registered
5,336 Posts
I've been told that windchill only affects things with a pulse, but I rode to work one morning and either something was wrong with my clutch that day or the bit of moisture on my bars from the rain the night before froze while I was riding. I had a couple of instances that the cluctch seemed frozen. The temp was close to freezing that morning and I've never had the problem since.
Thanks for the link Cage.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts