Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Back in 2007 I installed a system to change the configuration of the lights, turned the signals into running lights. When I was in the middle of doing it, I regretted getting involved with doing it at all. It really required a lot of cuts into the factory wiring harness and I knew that one day I was going to regret it. That days seems to have come. Bikes turn signals and running lights are a mess now. I bought a new OEM wiring harness for the bike, I want to get rid of that accessory and all the damage it did. I took off the seat & tank, and now I am wondering if I am biting off more that I should. Is changing the wiring harness a difficult task? Has anyone changed their harness? It's a 2006 VTX.
Thank you !

·
Registered
67 Posts
Back in 2007 I installed a system to change the configuration of the lights, turned the signals into running lights. When I was in the middle of doing it, I regretted getting involved with doing it at all. It really required a lot of cuts into the factory wiring harness and I knew that one day I was going to regret it. That days seems to have come. Bikes turn signals and running lights are a mess now. I bought a new OEM wiring harness for the bike, I want to get rid of that accessory and all the damage it did. I took off the seat & tank, and now I am wondering if I am biting off more that I should. Is changing the wiring harness a difficult task? Has anyone changed their harness? It's a 2006 VTX.
Thank you !
Not sure what you did with to the old harness, but it seems you could still make it work. If you were putting in fog lamps in 2007 you should have used the connector in your head lamp can that;s made for that - spare 3 pin connector (green, purple black, blue). If that's not the issue just get everything exposed in the can look at it next to the harness, and wiring diagram, that may tell you where you went wrong. Right signal - light blue, Right running - light blue & white, Left signal orange, Left running orange & white, ground green. If you decided to change out the harness, it should not be hard, just go slow. Remove one connection from the old harness then install the new one in it's place. Should be really quick LOL.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Not sure what you did with to the old harness, but it seems you could still make it work. If you were putting in fog lamps in 2007 you should have used the connector in your head lamp can that;s made for that - spare 3 pin connector (green, purple black, blue). If that's not the issue just get everything exposed in the can look at it next to the harness, and wiring diagram, that may tell you where you went wrong. Right signal - light blue, Right running - light blue & white, Left signal orange, Left running orange & white, ground green. If you decided to change out the harness, it should not be hard, just go slow. Remove one connection from the old harness then install the new one in it's place. Should be really quick LOL.
One more comment. If your following along on a color wiring diagram, the connectors will show in the correct colors with the correct number of wires and colors also.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you ! I didn't do anything wrong back when I installed the wiring, it worked well for quite a few years. It was only last Fall that it started screwing up. I took the wiring diagram to a local printer and had it blown up to about 4' across (so I can read it), I really want to put the bike back to "factory". Thank you for your thoughts/guidance !

·
Registered
92 Posts
seems like it would be a lot easier to fix the problem than rewire the whole thing,
but that's just me . .
I've done wiring on my bike,
added a stereo and put lights on my saddle bags and trunk,
I just have a test light for wiring, I wouldn't attempt to put a hole new harness on.
Good Luck
Oh also I don't think that's legal to have your back turn signals changed to running lights . .

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
seems like it would be a lot easier to fix the problem than rewire the whole thing,
but that's just me . .
I've done wiring on my bike,
added a stereo and put lights on my saddle bags and trunk,
I just have a test light for wiring, I wouldn't attempt to put a hole new harness on.
Good Luck
Oh also I don't think that's legal to have your back turn signals changed to running lights . .
The system I put in was the Kury 4610. It served me well for years, but when I started to have light problems, it renders the original factory wiring diagram somewhat useless. It definitely changes the turn signals into running lights...among other changes.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Harness is replaced ! Feels good to get rid of all those crimps and mods. I am staying FACTORY from now on with wiring. Really was not a hard job, Honda sells the harness and it is absolutely right for the bike.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts