Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question - the VTX 1800 is fuel injected- will adding a hyper charger or desnorkling or modifying the breather box will this add any horse power at all to the bike, if so is it worth the expense or the time to modify. Just wondering, I do have after market drag pipes on bike seems to be just fine but when I do open the throttle I do hear a moaning from the breather box. Any suggestions or help would be appreciated. Thanks Gene :beer:

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
You aren't going to gain any HP but it will be breathing better. Many say they feel the HP but there really isn't any big change other than the sound. It takes a lot of mods and money to gain a little HP on the 1800, Honda has gottten just about it has to give. There is a motor out there with a dual intake putting out 147HP but it goes for 5K and you still need to buy parts to finish it.

·
No Reason To Be Serious
16,394 Posts
I have a 1800 that I modified the breather box a smidge, and added open pipes, HK Sideburners. Is it any faster than it was.? ...hmmm, can't really tell, as I don't use all it's got anyway...

I don't have a hyper charger, but I think it's just for looks, not so sure it adds hp to your ride.

A fuel commander, now... well.... that may change things a bit, but not a whole lot either..

Without camming it up, I doubt you would really get a noticeable difference with any of these slight changes...

·
Registered
1,624 Posts
A new member hole sawed his new 1300vtx exhaust and put baron big air on. Sent it for dyno tuning and gained 5 and a half horse power. I thought that was really pretty good for basically a free breather and a tune. what do ya think?
ps, he posted the dyno charts.

·
Premium Member
27,731 Posts
A new member hole sawed his new 1300vtx exhaust and put baron big air on. Sent it for dyno tuning and gained 5 and a half horse power. I thought that was really pretty good for basically a free breather and a tune. what do ya think?
ps, he posted the dyno charts.
He asked about a 1800 here, the carb bikes have some play room in them. Add a PClll and an good air deliver system and dyno it, it'll pick up a couple HP but not worth the expense in my book. It's a cruiser not a sports bike, how fast are you really going to go??? The 1800 can go 120-130mph at least, when have you had it that fast??? Do you care to cruise at that speed????

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Not really looking for speed or horse power per say. I just feel like maybe the bike needs to breathe a little better. I am really not sure but far as horse power goes it has all that I want and need. Thanks for the advice. Gene

·
Registered
864 Posts
Honda engineers are pretty darn smart.
I think you'd be surprised to find out just how much airflow a stock filter will allow. They wouldn't under do it- if anything it probably is capable of allowing enough air for a 2300cc motor through it.

Keep looking around and you'll find out people have screwed up their motors running improper air filters that end up damaging the walls of the cylinders, etc from allowing dirt into the engine.

Sure, there are filters that look cooler than the stock setup, and they can get pretty expensive. I do like that setup I've seen where the front of the box is cut out into an X or something else but from what I heard that guy isn't making those anymore.

I am going to stick with the stock setup for now- runs great -so I don't see the need to fix something that ain't broken.

·
Registered
1,808 Posts
All engines are air pumps. Yes if you can get more air in and more out you will gain power ! How much, not much but add a little here and a little there will add up ! If your wanting power / speed remember the weight to HP rule ! That's the cheapest way to gain speed is with less weight !:patriot:

·
Equito Passim
9,148 Posts
You aren't going to gain any HP but it will be breathing better. Many say they feel the HP but there really isn't any big change other than the sound. It takes a lot of mods and money to gain a little HP on the 1800, Honda has gottten just about it has to give. There is a motor out there with a dual intake putting out 147HP but it goes for 5K and you still need to buy parts to finish it.
Yep, it will be minimal on the REAL Dyno, but your Butt Dyno will feel it :)

-Gonz

·
Registered
748 Posts
I have a hypethetical question.
If it has computer controlled fuel injection would any
of this really matter? I have read that higher octane fuel
is a waste of money because the computer compensates
for higher octane so it is of any value. I know i am new but
am i stupid also?

·
Registered
1,961 Posts
Higher octane fuel in any engine than is required will cause carbon build up. You may not notice it for some time but it will cause a power loss.
I bought a 1800 retro for my grandson it had 43,000 miles on the clock. It ran like a dog compared to mine. The owner had used premium fuel it's entire life. When I cleaned out the carbon chunks of carbon was in the oil.just a thought

A little more Air/fuel and a good tune will mainly give ya better throttle response. With the better response it will feel like it gained a lot more power but it would be very little.

dd

·
Registered
368 Posts
I have read that higher octane fuel
is a waste of money because the computer compensates
for higher octane so it is of any value. I know i am new but
am i stupid also?
The computer doesnt know what octane gas you have put in, so no, it doesnt compensate for high octane fuel.
High octane fuel is made to battle preignition/detonation, not for making more power.
If an engine doesnt have better than 10:1 compression ratio, high octane fuel is simply a waste of money.

High octane fuel does NOT equal more power, only more money spent.

·
The guitar, not the fish!
33,457 Posts
Honda engineers are pretty darn smart.
I think you'd be surprised to find out just how much airflow a stock filter will allow. They wouldn't under do it- if anything it probably is capable of allowing enough air for a 2300cc motor through it...
Have you ever actually looked closely at the route Honda has the air coming into the engine??...Not sure if the 1800 airbox is routed the same as the 1300, but the 1300 airbox is very restrictive....Yeah it has a couple decent sized openings, but both of those are really choked off...The internal snorkel does an almost 90 degree turn right into the wall of the airbox leaving a small opening to pull the air in, and the other opening faces the frame backbone, leaving approximately 1/4" opening there...So it's like trying to run the 100 yard dash while breathing through a couple of McDonald's straws...Yeah you can do it, but it's not the best way....Every new vehicle has to pass federal "drive-by" noise standards, as well as EPA emissions standards...So performance and horsepower are not exactly at the top of the priority list....

That all being said, I'm running a waterjet-cut airbox cover, and a decapitated airbox (cut the top with the snorkel completely off)...This combined with proper carb tuning made a huge difference in the "butt dyno", as the engine is able to breathe ALOT better...And when done correctly, the decap mod lets NO unfiltered air into the engine....:cool:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
It's a cruiser not a sports bike, how fast are you really going to go??? The 1800 can go 120-130mph at least, when have you had it that fast??? Do you care to cruise at that speed????
My thoughts exactly.....My 1800 runs plenty strong and fast enough for me. If i wanted more I would have bought a CBR1000, Or just go borrow my brothers CBR1000....:D

I am going to stick with the stock setup for now- runs great -so I don't see the need to fix something that ain't broken.
Well said......

·
Registered
360 Posts
I changed mine for looks.... I mean i can now actually hear it "sucking" air... but it may have been doing the same thing just under the tank so i couldn't hear it. With the air box and the de-smog mode, i can easily unplug the injectors with all the room now! An i can see the top of the heads beter to. But performance is about the same.. just sounds better:choppersm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts