Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Never did drill my pipes ... until now. I went straight from stock to Cobras on my 2006. Came back recently to stock pipes from Cobra Slip-ons. I couldn't take the noise anymore on long rides.

Having read plenty about drilling over the last few years I decided on a different approach. I had read about drilling deep at the 6 o'clock position to get to the lower baffle. I also knew that the chamber behind the outer plate was a single undivided area ... so I thought why bother to drill several smaller holes.

I got out my 1" hole saw and drilled out the plate at the 6 o'clock position. Started the bike ... a bit too blatty sounding. I then drilled one, then two 5/8' holes into the inner baffle. Great low rumble sound now, but louder than I wanted.

I then got two pieces of sheet metal, cut to size and closed the 1" hole in each pipe. The block-off plate is adjustable so they could be made louder if desired. Someone could probably figure out a better way to do this. Now I had the sound I was looking for: louder than stock (balanced with engine noise), low sounding rumble, but not obnoxious.

In retrospect, I would have gone at the inner baffle with my 1" hole saw if I had more length instead of using the 5/8" bit.

Really happy with the result. Here's a short video:

http://youtu.be/CnPXuoHJNEQ

·
Geezer Glider
3,703 Posts
Nice, I did 6 holes, 5 in a V pattern, and one right above the 6 oclock hole, both those go into the inner baffle. I'm happy with the sound for now.

·
Registered
289 Posts
To each his own, and if you're happy, great! But you know what? I'm quite happy with the 'stock' sound of my exhaust. I really don't need to be loud and I don't understand the need to rev a loud engine while idling at a stop light and such, but maybe I'm just getting old. Just saying.... I'm' wondering what the general feeling is...do the majority of us do the clayton mod (or your new mod), get new pipes or do we just leave it 'stock'? Sorry, I hope this isn't consider 'stealing the thread' ,I'm just outside doing a beer-butt chicken on the bbq and reading the new posts.

·
Registered
831 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To each his own, and if you're happy, great! But you know what? I'm quite happy with the 'stock' sound of my exhaust. I really don't need to be loud and I don't understand the need to rev a loud engine while idling at a stop light and such, but maybe I'm just getting old. Just saying.... I'm' wondering what the general feeling is...do the majority of us do the clayton mod (or your new mod), get new pipes or do we just leave it 'stock'? Sorry, I hope this isn't consider 'stealing the thread' ,I'm just outside doing a beer-butt chicken on the bbq and reading the new posts.
If you look at the photos on the forum and even my casual observation on the street, I'd say an awful lot of riders change their pipes. After changing mine, I spent two years tinkering with the baffles to tone them down. Also depends on the riding you do. I don't just ride around the corner and back. After a day on the bike it was getting to me.

Interesting thing about going back to stock is that I didn't mind the sound at all, but the v-twin engine is so loud that I wanted a bit more exhaust to balance it out. I achieved it with my new mod. Hopefully I'll stay happy now.

·
Registered
743 Posts
A heads up...small holes make higher tones. Large holes make lower tones. I drilled 1/4 and 1/2" holes. Two tone.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts