Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been thinking about the Key mod for a while now, and really liked Bassdudes key mod with the Speed Knob.

Here is his key mod

So As i was going through some stuff trying to get to the Christmas stuff in the back bedroom, I came across some black speed knobs, and thus began my key knob experiment.

First I found the right blank, since Lowe's or walmart won't cut the key, and the local shops with a manual machine are getting fewer and far between. the correct key blank is the axxess key #30. As seen in (A)

I picked up 3 blanks because I knew I would mess something up, and have to try and try again until I got it right.

I then used my dremel tool and cut the key to match my stock Honda key, I finally got it right on the second key blank (B). tried it in all locks and it worked, but it is a chore to do this manually each time. make sure that the shoulders on the keys line up and not the point of the key, more on this later.

I then took the gas cap and the dremel cut key to my local Lowe's hardware and had them cut a key using the dremel cut key, it would not work in the gas cap, hence the reason i took the gas cap with me.

then i remembered that the point was shorter to the shoulder on the stock key and had the key guy pull out the dremel cut key about a key thickness out and then lock it back in. this time the key worked in the gas cap. I had him make 2 more identical to this last key. (C)

I got home and it would not work in the ignition. it was still a longer key, it was right from the shoulder along the key contacts, but still had too much point, so i grabbed the dremel and cut the point and sides down just a little to match the factory key (D).

I kept one key that they cut original length, it will work in the gas cap but that is all. i am keeping this at the house so if I ever need to have another key made i can take this one and it can be cut at any walmart. lowe's or anywhere with a axxess style machine. I will use it as the template.

With the others i keep one at the house already with the point cut correctly so I will have a spare, this is in case i and the bike get separated and I have to send someone to my house to get a key to drive the bike somewhere.

with the other I cut the key handle off and ground it down with the dremel to fit the black guitar speed knob, and used JB Weld to glue it in place (E)

I am hoping this writeup will encourage others to do their own key mods, so when all the equipment at the stores are dumbed down so much that people can't do their own stuff, that we can take what they have and make it work for us without having to pay $$$ high dollar for OEM Factory keys and blanks.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Have you seen the one I've been using for the past year or so??...:D
The blue i'm sure looks killer with your blue paint. I may try to find some red, but this was a thought I'd had for a bit, then just kinda threw it all together today.

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ace carries and cut the correct keys, take your bike with you to test the first one.
I know Ace does, and so does True Value, but the nearest one of them is about 25 miles away, and I have 3 Lowe's, 4 Walmarts, and a home depot within 20 miles. :banghead:

besides, i enjoyed doing the project:D

·
'Chappy'
691 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Rather than riding another 5 miles :hmm2:
It was a cold and rainy day. And since I have been out of work I try to appease the better half by working around the house, instead of running around burning extra fuel, and this actually made it look like I was doing something. :coffee:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Timely thread, as I made this one just last nite. Was a auto cig lighter from Autozone, popped off the lighter part, epoxyed,etc. I really like the "Spinal Tap" key!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts