Honda VTX 1300 / VTX 1800 Motorcycles Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So a little while back I made a post with what I thought would be some good additional riding lights on my motorcycle. Since I have switched everything over to LED. Well I just couldn't resist with the sale discount last month from Diode Dynamics.

They really were an easy install, as I just used everything that was still on my highway bars. The hose clamps from my first modification with the MR 16 size LED lights and the housings to the fog lights I got, to these that are really bright LEDs that are supposed to for driving.

Since I work nights currently I had a day off in between my work days so I figured since already everything has been wired up, I'd just go mount them in their housings. And not too much later, I was done and they were mounted. I didn't get to it too early, because I wanted to run the bike while I adjusted them pointing them at the garage door. But I'm excited to see how they will be at night, and how I can adjust them for maximum lighted view forward and not having them be too bright.

They are a little pricey, but I think it's worth it for great daytime visibility and we will see how they shape up at night. Here's a link to the ones I got:

And if I don't like the driving pattern, maybe I can try the fog pattern. It's much more light than the fogs that I removed. More pics when I can get them at night.

·
Mosin Prime
2005 1300R Lots of lights! 2 air horns P3 tail light w/Photon blasters Diode Dynamics and Daymaker
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes my obsession continues!

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Me LIKEY!

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a night pic. Looks like a decent amount of light projected in front. I'm not too worried about them for going in the city. The unlit parts of the freeway are a good place for them. When/if my schedule goes back to normal, I'll commute home at night, always. But for now, it's light at 1800 and 0600 so they will still be good for daytime visibility!

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Look into the VTX Daymaker also. I just got one for $160. Can't wait for it to arrive and install! They make the driving lights too, for that triangle effect.

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
So far, so good, Cloud. I like them. Still waiting to see how they are for night riding. May have to just go on a trip one night up and down the freeway or something.

Pax, where did you get yours from? I'm looking, and I'm liking. I found a place that makes one with a red face to it. It looks nice. Do you have a link? This is the link I found.

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
So far, so good, Cloud. I like them. Still waiting to see how they are for night riding. May have to just go on a trip one night up and down the freeway or something.

Pax, where did you get yours from? I'm looking, and I'm liking. I found a place that makes one with a red face to it. It looks nice. Do you have a link? This is the link I found.

Do you mean my road/ driving lights? I bought my QUAKE 'Rogue' lights @ Iron Pony Motorsports in Westerville, Oh. several years ago. Each unit has 2 maybe 1-1/2" Cree 10W 6000K LED's with a 15* beam pattern. I have them mounted about halfway up on my Paladin engine guards, just below my hiway pegs. Guys like Renegade Rick hate to ride in front of me with them on- he gets sunburned, LOL! But I've been told by group ride leaders, I can be seen way back with them on, in the daytime. Isn't that the purpose? They're low enough I don't blind oncoming traffic. I'll defer to my new Daymaker to do that! If you mean the Daymaker, just go to VTXDaymaker.com

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I didn't find anything on Iron Pony's website. Be interested to see some pics of your setup! Definitely going to pull the trigger on that Daymaker. I see a couple for the amount you mentioned. Which one did you end up getting?

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
I didn't find anything on Iron Pony's website. Be interested to see some pics of your setup! Definitely going to pull the trigger on that Daymaker. I see a couple for the amount you mentioned. Which one did you end up getting?
I chose the B kit. There are brighter ones, but I didn't like their look or thought it might be too bright. Saw a HD the other day at the pumps with a very similar style with the multiple elements inside. I don't know if I have your email address, but if you want a couple pix, send me yours to [email protected] Hopefully I remember how to send pix to email, it's been awhile and I suffer from CRS (can't remember shit)

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Just went to IP's website, and I didn't find them either! Last time I was there, last May, they had scaled down their display but still had the ones I have. It now appears like they may have discontinued handling them. Quake LED website still shows the 5" 2-light Rogue LED like I have, current price is only a couple dollars more than I paid, now $86~.

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I saw on Quakes website those LEDs too. They look good. I was curious about your set up and which headlight you ended up with. One of the ones with the halo ring? Bluetooth and controlled on your phone, wow lol. You have any pics of everything set up on your bike?

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
No, no current pics with the new Headlight just yet, I haven't installed yet. Sore back all week has kept me from doing much. VTXDaymaker site the one I got was kit 'B'. It's supposed to have the white daylight running light halo. I don't have a bluetooth phone so don't care about that part. The only pics I have are of the Quake lights on the engine guards. The triangular effect. The present headlight element is one of NDAna's.

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
Well if you get a chance, would love to see the before and after! With your quakes and when you get the new one installed. And sir, the 18th century called, they want their flip phone artifact back! How old does a mobile phone have to be to not be bluetooth? If you have a mobile phone? lol wow idk. And some how I totally missed your post with your email! I sent one, if you don't have it when you see this, check spam. Coming from hotmail.

And from what I can see it has a 2 light set up for DRL if this is the one you got: Online Store | VTX Daymaker I'm disappointed there's really not much on YT with pics or vids of how these lights look and work and shine light. One showing the brightness. That's good I guess, just on the garage door from 12 feet away. Guess I'll get one and do that, then. I got the C model. Lets see. Looks like the halo can be on with the rest of the light by manual setting. Will find out when it gets here!

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
Well if you get a chance, would love to see the before and after! With your quakes and when you get the new one installed. And sir, the 18th century called, they want their flip phone artifact back! How old does a mobile phone have to be to not be bluetooth? If you have a mobile phone? lol wow idk. And some how I totally missed your post with your email! I sent one, if you don't have it when you see this, check spam. Coming from hotmail.

And from what I can see it has a 2 light set up for DRL if this is the one you got: Online Store | VTX Daymaker I'm disappointed there's really not much on YT with pics or vids of how these lights look and work and shine light. One showing the brightness. That's good I guess, just on the garage door from 12 feet away. Guess I'll get one and do that, then. I got the C model. Lets see. Looks like the halo can be on with the rest of the light by manual setting. Will find out when it gets here!
Is C the one that is twice as bright as all the others, and has the rainbow colors with the halo? I didn't need the super-bright, or all the colors.

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
No it looks like it's not as bright on the high beam as the one you got. But it should put out some good light I hope, and will see when it gets here!

·
Registered
16,353 Posts
The pic I sent you had the bulb/ element from a 2 pack for a Subaru that Renegade Rick and I split the cost. It was maybe $80 for 2, so cost me $40. I later replaced that with one from NDAna, which is what I ride with now. Don't know if I have pix with the NDAna unit.

·
Mosin Prime
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I got some hardware and remounted these new lights. The set up I had was for some other lights I had mounted there before with hose clamps. I drilled some holes through the highway bars and mounted them with some bolts. Looks pretty good tidied up now.

Attachments

·
Registered
2009 VTX 1300R, Long Island NY
510 Posts
Very nice.

Just an fyi, after coming from the jeep offroad world, you may have been better with clamps rather than drilling through the bars, as you now have introduced weak points to the bars.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts